how to impress an ophthalmologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have any suggestions on how to look sharp in front of an ophtho dude esp. one who specializes in cornea and refractive surgery? any good questions to ask or just some talk to shoot the **** that doesn't make it seem u dono jack?

Members don't see this ad.

GuP said:
anyone have any suggestions on how to look sharp in front of an ophtho dude esp. one who specializes in cornea and refractive surgery? any good questions to ask or just some talk to shoot the **** that doesn't make it seem u dono jack?

Yea, read some ophthalmology books so that you know something.

Show him your t!ts and yell "how ya like THESE pupils, baby!"

Members don't see this ad :)
toofache32 said:
Show him your t!ts and yell "how ya like THESE pupils, baby!"

:laugh:

my advice would be: shine because you're shiny, don't try to fool him/her (study and be yourself) :cool:

ya i was kinda hoping someone could point me towards a text...maybe some kind of corneal text?

GuP said:
ya i was kinda hoping someone could point me towards a text...maybe some kind of corneal text?

I would stear away from a subspecialty text and maybe go for a comprehensive book.

"Ophthalmology Secrets" is not bad, I've read parts of this. It is supposed to be high yield info on questions you might be asked in rounds, boards, etc..

"Basic Ophthalmology for medical students and primary care residents" is an ok book, I read this as a medical student.

I've heard that "Ophthalmology made ridiculously simple" is ok.

Heard ok things about "Vaughan & Asbury's General Ophthalmology"

I bought a book called "Ophthalmology: An illustrated colour text" as a medical student and it is ok.

I havent looked at it, but "Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary Illustrated Manual of Ophthalmology" is supposed to be pretty decent, not too expensive, and easy to carry around.

If you are 100% sure you want to do ophthalmology, just buy the kanski atlas. The text is pretty good and the pictures are good. I bought it as a medical student.

Go to your library or bookstore and look around, see what you like.

pdt4cnv - thank you for your really detailed advice.

the reason i was leaning towards cornea book was b/c the doc actually mentioned that i should read up on this particular book called cornea/external diseases which is published by the aao. he was going to give me his copy but it was from 86-87. i then went to the website and other sites to find a newer edition but i think the latest version was from 94. i didn't really know what else to look for in a cornea subspecialty.

i do agree however that i should be better off with a general optho book. i will certainly browse through the books mentioned.

btw, i just wana add that on my first day the craziest thing i saw was an intacs procedure...i was like :eek: i was jus thinking the whole time that the little cresecent lens is going to burst the cornea or that he's gonna push and slip and pop a hole in the cornea :eek: