how to list research on CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiritgirl

swimming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
please forgive my ignorance... but i have a few questions!

if i am the first author on a poster presentation, which is being presented by someone else (the second author) at an international conference, and i was not present at the conference, can i still list this on my CV for residency applications? what section would it go under... "presentations"... even if i was not the one who presented the project? would something like this be even worth listing on a CV at all?

also... if one research project leads to two or three VERY similar presentations at different conferences, can i still list them all on my CV for residency applications? would it be worth it to even bother listing them all or would it make more sense to just list one?

thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

please forgive my ignorance... but i have a few questions!...also...if one research project leads to two or three VERY similar presentations at different conferences, can i still list them all on my CV for residency applications? would it be worth it to even bother listing them all or would it make more sense to just list one?
Here's a great discussion on authorship and how to list things on your resume. Included is a series of links to other similar discussions (particularly in my posts) and the AAMC website, which has another guide on how to list items on your resume. Be sure to look through them all.

With respect to the following:
if i am the first author on a poster presentation, which is being presented by someone else (the second author) at an international conference, and i was not present at the conference, can i still list this on my CV for residency applications? what section would it go under... "presentations"... even if i was not the one who presented the project? would something like this be even worth listing on a CV at all?
I have something similar to this on my CV (I was second author on the abstract, but only the 1st author got to go to Italy to present it :mad:). I listed mine as an abstract at the conference, but not a presentation. My reasoning was that I may have written the thing, but I didn't present it. However, I'd be interested to know if any other readers have a different opinon and why.

Here's a great discussion on authorship and how to list things on your resume. Included is a series of links to other similar discussions (particularly in my posts) and the AAMC website, which has another guide on how to list items on your resume. Be sure to look through them all.

With respect to the following:
I have something similar to this on my CV (I was second author on the abstract, but only the 1st author got to go to Italy to present it :mad:). I listed mine as an abstract at the conference, but not a presentation. My reasoning was that I may have written the thing, but I didn't present it. However, I'd be interested to know if any other readers have a different opinon and why.

The presenter is the first author on a presentation... even if you wrote it for him or her. I've made over 15 posters (wrote them and set them up and even had them printed at Kinkos large scale and all) but only the presenter should be set as first author.

Just like the writer of the manuscript is not always the first author of the manuscript... although often is.

Members don't see this ad :)
The presenter is the first author on a presentation... even if you wrote it for him or her. I've made over 15 posters (wrote them and set them up and even had them printed at Kinkos large scale and all) but only the presenter should be set as first author.

Just like the writer of the manuscript is not always the first author of the manuscript... although often is.
Thanks Faebinder. I agree - the person who does the writing does not necessarily get authorship.

Until now, I actually hadn't taken credit for the presentation in question at all - I was uncertain of how 2nd+ authorships on presentations were handled - I felt that the best policy was to leave it off until I knew otherwise, rather than risk misrepresentation on my CV.