how to make a good first impression as an intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bekham

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well im scared how to make that good first impression as an intern and more importantly to avoid making a bad one:D...at least for now......any tips from the veterans here:}?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I started my first month as a senior resident in the NICU, so I quickly learned what it meant to have great interns-- and not so great ones.

A good intern realizes that they don't know much-- and need to soak up as much as they can. They are ready and willing to do everything--the scutty stuff that seems so mundane you want to pull your hair out, and every procedure they can get their hands on. They always seem interested....they speak up when they don't understand why something is being done a certain way, and admit when they don't know something and are willing to listen and learn. They know their patients inside and out- listen carefully on rounds and are ultra organized...although that can be a challenge to figure out your organizational system at the beginning. They read when they can-- but know they need to let their hair down, relax, and enjoy their time off when they have it.

You will have annoying senior residents and attendings..that goes without saying. But try to learn whatever you can from them. You'll quicly figure out who your role models are-- and you'll basically learn from example. A quick example of an amazing intern i had in the nicu and the not so amazing one.

Amazing intern- on a busy nicu call night, despite fighting sleep at 3 a.m., always quick to respond the nurses pages, even if she had no clue what to do- (increase the peep? the rate? what IS that green stuff coming out of this baby's ng?), and would try to address them on her own first, and would come to me quickly with all her questions. She would try any procedure with my supervision, and never seemed annoyed or disinterested when it came time to do annoying paperwork, admit h and p's, etc.

annoying intern- never seemed interested. presentaions were disorganized and obvious he had no clue and had made no attempt to seek anyone's advice. Always defensive and seemed annoyed when given tasks, and never receptive to feedback. when given feedback or teaching, never demonstrated that he had listened or made an effort to improve.

hope this helps! good luck! intern year is a blast-- and the learning curve is......huge!

I know that you're worried about making a good impression, being a new 'tern is tough, and you want to convey that you are calm, collected and totally on top of things.

NEWSFLASH! You are in way over your head. No, I don't know you, but by virtue of your newbie intern status I know this to be true. It happens to everyone in every specialty. I have good news though, this is expected. It will tempting, (believe me, I know) to keep your mouth shut and simply carry out all instructions, but you're doing yourself a disservice. At no other time in your career can you ask questions about anything and not be judged for it. Don't know why a pt is being managed in a particular way? Why did you pick that med? How should I fill out this form? Ask! Often, you'll be surprised that the answers aren't abundantly obvious or are exclusive to your institution (very common). I'm on my way to being a senior in a couple of months and even though I'm looking forward to it, I'm a little worried about being the one who has to answer the questions now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Be extra nice to the nurses. It goes without saying, right? You would be surprised by how many people are not nice to nurses ... and they talk! They know who they like/trust and who they don't. A lot of their trust in you comes from communication and being kind.

Never be afraid to ask questions.

Find a system early that helps you organize. For me it's print out yesterday's progress note. The I pre-round with half-sheets of paper, write down vitals, change in exam findings, and make my to do list with check boxes beside. It doesn't really matter what you do, just find a system early. It will help.

Organize yourself on call. Some people find it helpful to have a to do list by patient, or by hour ... so you remember to check on that 4am Vanc trough.

Try to have fun ... until March hits, then your just ready for it to be over :).

these are some great posts! as I finish up my 3rd year and start look at applying for residency I get more and more nervous about being a "real" doctor with "some" real responsibility. the above posts have really helped!

I concur with what's been said above...

I have to reiterate: Be good to the nurses. My heavens this makes a difference.

Don't be too freaked out about reading. You will be TIRED. You will not get much done. The best way to read is when you get a patient with something new to you, read a bit on that topic. It sticks so much better that way, vs just random reading.

If there are things you are supposed to check on, please do it.

If you change something in the middle of the night, get lab results back, or have to go examine a patient, DOCUMENT IT IN THE CHART. I cannot believe how many people do not do this. It is essential.