How to make extra money???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is it bad to want people to be happier in life?

I worry occasionally for some of my friends who believe that more money will make them happier. Attachment to material objects or goods and services can not end up yielding a great life[/QUOTE]

Yea but neither does the opposite, last time I check I haven't seen too many homeless individuals singing happily down the street.

The way I see it, I'd rather have a nice home/car and be unhappy rather than living in a shack with a 89' Plymouth... and still be unhappy

Members don't see this ad.

People say money can't buy happiness, but it CAN buy a wave runner. Have you ever seen someone unhappy while riding a wave runner?

Yea but neither does the opposite, last time I check I haven't seen too many homeless individuals singing happily down the street.
You'd be surprised, actually. While working downtown over the summer, I saw at least a dozen of them. I can't explain it, but operatic shopping-cart-pushers just make you :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well first off the homeless thing is a completely bogus comparison. I am not talking about being homeless.

And if you are an unhappy person in general, then i would agree, it doesnt matter. But people who are generally and genuinely happy in life seem to be more okay with living with less materially, in my experience.

But really I'll say it again, I dont have a problem personally with people who want to make x amount of money or have x amount of wealth, and there are always important reasons to make more money like supporting your family or kids. However I am simply a bit worried for people who already have everything they need, but think that more money is what is going to fix a sense of dissatisfaction that they are having.

I admit i overreacted, but perhaps i should have merely and mildly asked if the op had considered if it was possible to be satisfied without getting more money. If he had already asked that and answered it, then there should be no reason to yell at someone - I am sorry

Last edited:
Well first off the homeless thing is a completely bogus comparison. I am not talking about being homeless.

And if you are an unhappy person in general, then i would agree, it doesnt matter. But people who are generally and genuinely happy in life seem to be more okay with living with less materially, in my experience.

But really I'll say it again, I dont have a problem personally with people who want to make x amount of money or have x amount of wealth, and there are always important reasons to make more money like supporting your family or kids. However I am simply a bit worried for people who already have everything they need, but think that more money is what is going to fix a sense of dissatisfaction that they are having.

I admit i overreacted, but perhaps i should have merely and mildly asked if the op had considered if it was possible to be satisfied without getting more money. If he had already asked that and answered it, then there should be no reason to yell at someone sorry

Listen man, you just need to shut the hell up and stop bashing the OP for trying to find other ways to utilize his skills to expand his economic situation. This has nothing to do with being satisfied...it's not a crime to make money. If he want some extra financial security and ways to purchase things without credit cards so be it. Go back to your cave

This thread is hilarious.

OP, if you want to make more money, you need to decide what sacrifice you want to make to get it done. You have an entire morning, yet you don't want to give it up. It is a prime shift to make more money - but you choose not to...so in a way, you are supporting an argument that making extra money is everything. If it were, you would do what you need to do.

You also said that everyone would jump at the change to make more money...not so. I'm taking a PAY-CUT to go into pharmacy. Money isn't everything to everyone. You guys shouldn't bash Type B for having a different perspective - at the same time, Type B, you can't bash OP for wanting to stack as much money as he can.

Each person has their own priorities. I don't get the point in spending so much time denigrating someone for not believing what you believe. I guess chalk it up to me being an old-timer.

Money isn't everything to everyone. You guys shouldn't bash Type B for having a different perspective - at the same time, Type B, you can't bash OP for wanting to stack as much money as he can.

Each person has their own priorities. I don't get the point in spending so much time denigrating someone for not believing what you believe. I guess chalk it up to me being an old-timer.

You'll see i apologized and admitted this although the poster above us apparently couldnt see that

You'll see i apologized and admitted this although the poster above us apparently couldnt see that

Yeah...that's more who I'm referring to. I'm thinking, "Really? Is it that deep to make comments like that?"

Unbelievable, IMO.

When you're paying off student loans, trying to buy a home or (use your imagination) I'm sure it's much different than you can imagine. Some people make very naive comments on these forms sometimes. :rolleyes:

Ok i should have said "not satisfied with 5500 a month"

and yes, i am sickened by people's equating money or material things with happiness.. cause your earlier post is basically saying "I know i earn more money than 90% of the population, but it's not enough for me to be satisfied" .. aka - "i need more money to be satisfied"

Perfectly fine for you to want that in this free country, but it's still within other people's rights to call you greedy for it

Mo Money, Mo problems..........in one way or the other

Forrest Gump said it best.

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.

I've been rich and poor. And I've been happy and unhappy though I don't recall being unhappy when I'm finacially secure.

But let me tell you. It's much better to have money either you're happy or not. At least with money, you can buy yourself out of some unhappiness.:thumbup:

Mo Money, Mo problems..........in one way or the other

Nope.. it's usually the lack of money that causes problems.

Money is a good thing. It builds hospitals...schools...churches.. and all the good things in life. It's the lack of money or greed for money that causes issues.

These are my personal favorites light reading materials when I am up early in the morning; they will teach you how to increase your networth.

http://www.1stmillionat33.com/

http://www.2millionblog.com/2009/10/september_2009_net_worth_update_25475.html

http://www.rags2richesfinancial.blogspot.com/

http://uhnwi.livejournal.com/

http://www.freemoneyfinance.com/

http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/

I am too, on the path of having my first $1M before I hit 35 years old. These people are average guys who try to do their best to take calculated risk in focus areas and preserve their wealth in diversification.

Granted, you are not going to be like the fourth blogger who is a ultra high net worth individual. But, it's interesting how rich people think.

Unemployment at a record high
People coming, people going, people born to die
Don't ask me, because I don't know why
But it's like that, and that's the way it is

People in the world try to make ends meet
Trying real hard to get the pharmacy job beat
I said you got to work hard to want to compete
It's like that, and that's the way it is
Huh!

Money is the key to end all your woes
Your ups and your downs, your highs and your lows
Won't you tell me last time that love bought you clothes?

Bills fly higher every day
We receive much lower pay
I'd rather stay young, go out and play
Huh!

You know it's like that, and that's the way it is
Because it's like that, and that's the way it is

Take time to learn about investments--real estate, stocks, etc. Yes, you can still make money when the market is down. Let your money work for you, rather than work for money to survive (instead, work for seed money for investing). There are many people who make a lot less than pharmacists who end up becoming millionaires because they take the little money they make and invest it well.

It can be done-pharmacists are smart & analytical. Just set aside some time to start learning.

I currently work for the VA and single and take home $5500 after taxes each month...but after student loans, rent, insurance, cc debt, and other expenses i'm not satisfied with the money that is left over...what do you guys do to make extra income??

i currently work MF from 330-12am...working during the week in the mornings really doesnt appeal to me and i dont want to work saturday cuz i would like 1 day to enjoy myself...so that leaves me sunday to work to pick up an extra shift somewhere, but i find it hard to find an employer to just hire me for sunday afternoons/evenings...any advice??

Unemployment at a record high
People coming, people going, people born to die
Don't ask me, because I don't know why
But it's like that, and that's the way it is

People in the world try to make ends meet
Trying real hard to get the pharmacy job beat
I said you got to work hard to want to compete
Huh!

Money is the key to end all your woes
Your ups and your downs, your highs and your lows
Won't you tell me last time that love bought you clothes?

Bills fly higher every day
We receive much lower pay
I'd rather stay young, go out and play
Huh!

You know it's like that, and that's the way it is
Because it's like that, and that's the way it is

hahaha

I'm gonna roll with Stavi on this one. It's good to have money and money can do good things. However, when it's given undue weight, and when people start to love money for its own sake at the expense of family, relationships, and the like, money becomes problematic.

Other than inheritence or winning a Lotto, there are 3 fundamental ways to make money.

1. Trade time for money; selling time
2. Through investment
3. Duplicating your time by buying other's time.

Obviously most of us use the method 1... we have jobs and sell time. Except we're limited by the hourly rate and the number of hours we have to sell per day... about $60 per hour as a pharmacist and 24 hours a day. There's a definite cap on the income potential. Show me a pharmacist who works 2 jobs and I'll show you a pharmacist who makes around $200K+ who has no time and will be dead soon.

Investment takes money and time. And it takes too long for it to grow...usually a life long endeavor.

#3 is how people become rich. Sam Walton did ok with 1 Walmart store.. then decided to duplicate this by setting up #2, #3...and on. By doing this, Sam was buying other people's effort and time to significantly multiply his income.

It's in the power of duplicated efforts and limitless multiplication of location one becomes truly wealthy.

A plastic surgeon who can make a $1mil per year who decides to not work for a year makes nothing. Unless he has employees who can duplicate his effort.

Find a business and a niche and duplicate and multiply it. Not sell more time by taking on a 2nd and 3rd job.

It's phenomenal to witness the success of Indian Americans and their franchise hotel empire... Have 1 hotel and make good money.. have multiple and make lots of residual income.

#3 and residual income. Go find it.

And there are 3 fundamental elements required for a true freedom.

Money, Time, & Youth

What good is Money if you have no time and health to enjoy it?
What good is free time if you have no money and youth to enjoy it?
What good is youth if you have no money and time to enjoy it?

Get all 3....

:smuggrin:

to answer the original post, you could look into being a consultant pharmacist part time to make a little extra money. boards of pharmacy inspect a variety of health care facilities. they issue non-dispensing pharmacy permits to allow places like dialysis clinics to hold on to patient's meds and assist in administering them. consultants help these places meet all of the boards' standards and help put policies/procedures in place to protect them in case something goes wrong. i'm not sure how much they make exactly. essentially all you do is make recommendations. it's up to the people working in the facilities to lock up medications, update policies/procedures, etc. i think they do some pharmaceutical care type stuff in nursing homes as well.

Last edited: