How to make money in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medskate16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any suggestions about good ways to make money while in medical school? I am going to be a First-year student and I need to have some type of income while in school. Please let me know of anything that is manageable while studying. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Some medical schools have work study programs. They tend to be very flexible in terms of hours and schedule

Reactions: 1 users
Work study. In addition, work study can be in tandem with research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I searched this a lot on here and the easiest thing to jump into is probably Uber.

uber.
tutor. even online tutoring.
If you speak another language, translation!
Google. A family member has a job there and it is paid by work done and no specific hour requirement.
medical transcriptionist.
Jobs at Kenhub - We are hiring! | Kenhub
Osmosis - A Better Way To Learn also shoot an email to other video lecture services.
upwork----freelancing jobs. There are others as well.

Saving the best for last. You can also get your personal trainers certification. Compared to studying to the MCAT it is a piece of cake. Being a personal trainer allows you a lot of wiggle room in your day to day scheduling and generally pays decently.

hope this helps.

Accept loans, acquire currency.
Or just get married to someone that has a job.

Reactions: 9 users
Tutor sounds solid.
I don't know your background. However, I remember a post from a few years ago where this guy was a part-time consultant over the phone. He made a ridiculous amount of money.

Reactions: 1 user
Blood/plasma donor
Sperm donor for the guys.
Egg donor for the gals??? Too invasive!

I vaguely remember a story about a Duke student who starred in adult movies, but I can't remember if she was an undergrad or med student.. This would make for some interesting interview questions.

Reactions: 7 users
I vaguely remember a story about a Duke student who starred in adult movies, but I can't remember if she was an undergrad or med student.. This would make for some interesting interview questions.
My god....that's..umm...intense?

Wyzant is a great way to make some money on the side. Lots of pre-meds looking for tutors in the pre-req courses or MCAT. Nannying is good too.

I've heard selling crack is a lucrative business with little risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools have a contract you sign saying you won't work. If say you failed a class and were found to be working, some people will want to dismiss you in the spot rather than allow you to remediate

Why do you need income? If you have others you need to support, you're eligible for larger loans, correct?

Most schools have a contract you sign saying you won't work. If say you failed a class and were found to be working, some people will want to dismiss you in the spot rather than allow you to remediate
really? you can't work?

@Med student 18 has got the right idea. I am still a lowly pre-med, but I intend on offering personal training sessions throughout med school. It helps that my BS is in Exercise Science, but you can get an ACSM, ACE, or a nationally recognized cert. for around $300-600. For instance, I used to offer training sessions from 5-6 in the morning with a group of 3-4 clients. If I remember correctly, I would charge around $300.00 a month per client. An easy $900-1200 a month (as long as the gym doesn't take a cut). Also, there are a few personal trainers that cook/meal prep for their clients and charge an extra $200 a month (client buys the food and they hand it to the trainer).

Why do you need income? If you have others you need to support, you're eligible for larger loans, correct?

Nope. Not that I've seen, at least. Schools calculate the cost of attendance for a single student. They can't provide more financial aid than their COA, which is generally pretty laughable. Using 70k as a COA with a 50k tuition leaves one with ~20k to live off of. Doable for a single student, but 20k for a family of two or greater is way below pretty much every poverty line in the US. There's always private loans at that point though.

Nope. Not that I've seen, at least. Schools calculate the cost of attendance for a single student. They can't provide more financial aid than their COA, which is generally pretty laughable. Using 70k as a COA with a 50k tuition leaves one with ~20k to live off of. Doable for a single student, but 20k for a family of two or greater is way below pretty much every poverty line in the US. There's always private loans at that point though.
Unfortunately true. Either you seek govt assistance, your spouse is a fellow med student, or your spouse works to make the difference and the govt assistance only helps a tiny bit.

Crap. Didn't mean to necro the thread

Hey, I'm appreciating the thread being necroed, at least.

I was really hoping I could stay in my current field and work PRN - but looks like the facilities around my top choice want at least five 12s per six weeks to stay PRN, and that's way more than I was hoping to work. It makes things complicated.

Anyone do healthcare work with a staffing agency and work miniscule amounts of hours? I've never worked with an agency and I have no idea what they typically require, as far as number of shifts per month/six weeks/whatever.

Tutor sounds solid.
I don't know your background. However, I remember a post from a few years ago where this guy was a part-time consultant over the phone. He made a ridiculous amount of money.

Was it just premed counseling as in how to apply to med schools?

Was it just premed counseling as in how to apply to med schools?

No he was a non-trad and it was is a science/tech field I think. I wish I could find the thread. But it was like 80k a year and he worked like 15 hours a week. This is obviously NOT possible for 99.9% of med students because they probably don't have the background. But depending on what credentials/experiences you have consultants make a ton of money.

No he was a non-trad and it was is a science/tech field I think. I wish I could find the thread. But it was like 80k a year and he worked like 15 hours a week. This is obviously NOT possible for 99.9% of med students because they probably don't have the background. But depending on what credentials/experiences you have consultants make a ton of money.

I see, thanks for the info!