how to make my rank list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madcadaver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just finished my interviews and I'm having some trouble making my rank list. I was hoping to get some feedback from current residents about what they'd wish they'd known.

I didn't rank anywhere I would rather scramble than go. I also prioritized placed where I felt a good rapport with the residents. I also didn't rank any place with outstanding RRC citations, etc.. My question now becomes how to evaluate the programs. I guess I'm learning a lot about myself from this process (such as, I'm willing to sacrifice "big name" for "great location"). What if you feel like you're smarter or would be better than some of their residents? I don't hink I'm the smartest, greatest person ever, but at one of my sub-Is I felt like I'd be better than some of the interns. How important are the chairman's connections? How many cases is enough to be a great surgeon?

Anyway, I was also hoping to hear what other felt about some of the programs on my rank list:
St. Vincent's (New York City)
UC Davis
UCSF-East Bay (Oakland, CA)
Temple (Philadelphia)
Eastern Virginia Medical College (Norfolk, VA)
Virginia Mason (Seattle)
Howard (Washington, DC)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

I was pretty impressed with Dr. Britt at EVMS and with the program at Temple. I'm not sure how important program reputation is to me, so I don't know where I'll eventually end up ranking these programs. Both programs seemed to have a good educational program, OR time, and happy residents.

Ah, the proverbial challenge: is bigger (name, that is) necessarily better? I suppose if you want to be a high-power academic surgeon, probably so, but other than that, I don't put too much stock into name alone. You can get great OR teaching/ case #/ didactics at many average named places.

My advice would be consider how well you feel you fit in with the residents (work ethic, personality, etc.) I like people with great senses of humor, hard workers, but I am not into being competitive or cutthroat. You will have your bad days and it makes a world of difference if you get along, can approach, and respect the other residents, if for no other reason than to have someone to vent with or laugh about some of the quirks in the system. Residency so far has not been a cakewalk, but I really like the other people at my program (nice, intelligent, fun people) and that has kept me from going nuts when the going gets tough.

The other thing is think about your particular interests- for example, maybe it's cardiothoracics, trauma, or oncology. Some places may be very weighted in one of those things and if it is something that you enjoy anyways, that makes it all the better.

That's my $0.02 for now; I tried to think of a few things that improved my experience and think are important in how happy you will be at your program.

good luck