how to memorize micro ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fotogopher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys dealing with all the rote memorization in microbiology? I'm not a huge fan of CMMRS.. anyone finding anything else helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

repetition, reinforcement, rinse, repeat.

For me, GT + Clinical Micro Made Ridic Simple

Although Microcards are definitely sweet, I use it more as a text than as notecards (too much info for nc use for me). What I like about microcards is how systematic and well presented they are.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In the Kaplan lecture series book for microbio, there is a section called clinical correlates in microbio or something along that title. It is about 6 pages of tables, and really all you need.

In the Kaplan lecture series book for microbio, there is a section called clinical correlates in microbio or something along that title. It is about 6 pages of tables, and really all you need.

I'm not going to lie, but I own the Kaplan lecture notes, and the micro section is mediocre at best and off the mark, as is pretty much all Kaplan material.

Is there an online copy on the web for microcards?

Not that I know of, but this is 2012, so I'm sure some kid with no life has uploaded it somewhere, somehow.

The Microcards are great because of their tree-diagram cards, not just because of the vignettes.

I'm not going to lie, but I own the Kaplan lecture notes, and the micro section is mediocre at best and off the mark, as is pretty much all Kaplan material.

Not that I know of, but this is 2012, so I'm sure some kid with no life has uploaded it somewhere, somehow.

The Microcards are great because of their tree-diagram cards, not just because of the vignettes.

if you are looking for tree-diagrams, kaplan microbio also has that at the end of the book with tree-diagrams categorizing the different bacteria.

but microbio on the boards is presented in clinical vignettes. and thats where that clinical section in the kaplan book is very high yield. its only 6 pages, but absolutely golden for the boards.

I tried to search for microcards on web, but did not find it :( i have kaplan and CMMRS( the old edition), which one covers the other? I hope that I don't need to read both. Also, CMMRS is the old edition.

Best of luck in your exam after 3 weeks. SDNers are on their toes to hear about your experience and result ;)

I tried to search for microcards on web, but did not find it :( i have kaplan and CMMRS( the old edition), which one covers the other? I hope that I don't need to read both. Also, CMMRS is the old edition.

Best of luck in your exam after 3 weeks. SDNers are on their toes to hear about your experience and result ;)

use FA for microbio, and go straight to the microbio in the Kaplan Clinical vignettes section. add in uworld to fill in any missing gaps and those 3 are more than enough and the easiest to remember

Thank you guys. Are you sure that FA, UW and clinical vigenettes of Kaplan are enough and complete the material 100%? I am hunting for >250 (>260 inside myself). I checked the experience thread and noticed some members complained of questions about organisms they have never heard about. I am obssessive to get a very high score, so I hope you can provide an insight. Another question, what about immunology?

P.S: I have Kaplan 2012 but can not find clinical vignettes section! There are conparative micro and flowchart sections.

Last edited:
Don't bother with Kaplan. This san2 character has been posting Kaplan advertisements all year on this forum. He/she pretends to throw in occasional "non-Kaplan comments" so that we won't catch on, but we're not stupid.

Thank you guys. Are you sure that FA, UW and clinical vigenettes of Kaplan are enough and complete the material 100%? I am hunting for >250 (>260 inside myself). I checked the experience thread and noticed some members complained of questions about organisms they have never heard about. I am obssessive to get a very high score, so I hope you can provide an insight. Another question, what about immunology?

P.S: I have Kaplan 2012 but can not find clinical vignettes section! There are conparative micro and flowchart sections.

I looked it up. Its entitled clinical infectious diseases and should be towards the end of the book. This section is very high yield and accompanies FA microbio perfectly.

CMMRS and FA worked best for me.

I read CMMRS almost as if it was a novel. Very passively but paying extra attention to the charts in the end of each chapter... and I annotated the most important information into the FA in its respective section.

The Micro chapter in FA is almost photographically ingrained into my brain and I use the various sections to help consolidate the information into my head...it makes it easier when you see the big picture. This helped me tremendously for Pharm as well. The more I can rely one source to memorize, the easier it will be to recall this information.

I literally think of the page its on in FA and then use that to help assess my answers in questions, (lol I do this for every answer whether its Patho, Pharm, even Biochem :laugh:). The System Review at the end of the Microbiology section in the FA will help you with the differential diagnosis when it comes to answering these questions