How to pay for Application Fees??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

demolitionlvr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys how did you pay for your dental application fees?
Did you take out a student loan?

I was accepted to the Fee Assistant Program but they only waiver the first school you apply to...

Are there other financial aid plans?

I'm completely independent on this guys and I don't have a job :/ Even if I did get a job now, I can only squeeze out about $900, which isn't enough for 10 schools..

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to the Fee Assistant Program but they only waiver the first school you apply to...

I'm completely independent on this guys and I don't have a job :/ Even if I did get a job now, I can only squeeze out about $900, which isn't enough for 10 schools..

Dude... application fees are the easier part... after that you have secondaries and interviews, which are often 500+ bucks a trip!!!

Get a job and save as much as you can, then hit up family, then student loans, last resort would be a credit card.

I had to take out a private bank loan...which sucked...but I had no other options...my parents were broke and I was paying off UG loans without an income

You can get 2-6k loans from the bank...expect to pay back double what you take out tho

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude... application fees are the easier part... after that you have secondaries and interviews, which are often 500+ bucks a trip!!!

Get a job and save as much as you can, then hit up family, then student loans, last resort would be a credit card.

Yep... I have spent atleast 3-4k $:(

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ctions/Documents/FAP General Instructions.pdf

Here are the guidelines for the Fee Assistance program.

Last edited:

OP: Do you need to apply to ten schools? If you want to, that's one thing. But if you feel like you need to, maybe you should reconsider, depending on your stats.

"ADEA fee assistance covers the cost of the first dental school designation only. There is no fee assistance for additional dental school designations"

Last paragraph of second page. And the OP already said the waiver only applied to the first school.

I didnt read it. I just supplied the link. My original comment has been amended.

Get a job to pay for it. I don't know how anyone makes it through undergrad without working... If you work 20hrs/week at $10/hr, you can take home roughly $150/week. In a month you can pay for half of your applications. Also, be smart about which schools you apply to. Don't apply to a Midwestern, USC, or NYU where you may be doubtful to accept due to high tuition costs even if it is your only acceptance.

You can do it. I was also on my own, no support from family, and paid for undergrad myself. I knew applying would be expensive so I pre-planned and stashed away as much money as I could by working a lot during the summer and school year. Things like application fees and travel expenses can be put on a credit card (which I wouldn't recommend doing unless you can pay it off right away), but you will need a lot of money up front when the deposit comes.
It really is doable, no matter what ur situation is if you're willing to work hard enough. But unless you do work hard for it, it's not gonna be possible to apply this year for you. I spent almost 5K applying (interviews, application fees, DAT fees, study materials, deposit).

Participate in a clinical trial? lol

In addition the OP could also donate plasma and sperm. Doing all 3 for a few months, he could definitely pay for the admission cycle.

If the OP is a lady, i hear that egg donation pays in the range of 3-5K!! However, infertility is a long term side effect.

EDIT: Seriously though... this plan would be somewhat feasible...

Plasma = $50 x twice a week for 3 months = $1200
Sperm = $100 x twice a month for 3 months = $600 (had to google answers to this one haha!)
Clinical Trials = $1000
Total = $2800

Last edited:
In addition the OP could also donate plasma and sperm. Doing all 3 for a few months, he could definitely pay for the admission cycle.

If the OP is a lady, i hear that egg donation pays in the range of 3-5K!! However, infertility is a long term side effect.

Sperm = $100 x twice a month for 3 months = $600 (had to google answers to this one haha!)
Clinical Trials = $1000
Total = $2800

Some clinical trials even pay a couple to four thousand dollars if you stay overnight for two weeks.

Clinical Trials = $1000
Total = $2800

I don't know where you're getting those numbers but plasma in our area when I did it was 80 the first time and 20 every other time. If you have a strong heart you can pump it out in less than 2 hr. Do it twice a week. There was additional income if you weighed for 190lb and if you could do it more than 5 times a month, $30 for numbers 6 and above. And you don't really feel bad like giving blood. Just a little dehydrated. I lifted over 80lbs immediately after doing it for my other job every week.

Cranked out 15hr/week at $12+ $40 from plasma=220 a week. Plus my other job wasn't shift work so I didn't get tired of it or exhausted.