How to prepare for NBDE I: 91-87 score experiance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninety

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,
When i joined SDN i was looking for a thread that has all details i need but unfortunately i didn't find it. So i decided to share experiences of those who passed with those awaiting their exams or planning to take NBDE I. As a result, i wrote couple of questions and selected some recent exam takers to answere them. P.s.: if any wish to contribute to this thread please copy/paste Qs and write your answeres.

1- you are a: dental student or dentist?
HUGGIES: dentist-graduated 5 yrs ago
Gudluk: . dentist graduated 2yrs bak currently doing my masters in the us
Dlrao: foriegn trained dentist
Ninety: fresh graduate​

2- your composite score: .....
HUGGIES: 91
Gudluk: 91
Dlrao: 90
Ninety: 87​

3- which books or resources you used?
main resources: .....
reference ones: .....
HUGGIES: main-First Aid NDBE 1,
reference-USMLE first aid, usmle organ system, okeson, decks, wheeler, netter atlas anatomy, released exams
Gudluk: main resources: decks and asda papers
reference ones: kaplan notes,wikipedia,wheelers,chaurasia
Dlrao: : kaplan nbde review, kaplan usmle lecture notes, usmle first aid, dental decks 2009, ASDA papers, kaplan Q bank, Aclands human anatomy DVD , kaplan supplementary exam papers, remembered questions, okeson for occlusion, Lippincott for biochemistry​

main resources: USMLE lecture notes and dental decks​

reference ones: Wikipedia​

Ninety: mainly 1st aid followed by decks and Kaplan notes
Reference: Netter, Harper, Wikipedia, medical dictionary …etc​

4- how much time you spared/spent for NBDE I?
HUGGIES: 4mo 2days/wk 8hrs/day, last 1mo 4 days/wk 12hrs/day
Gudluk: 3mnths 12-13hrs/day
Dlrao: 4 months​
total time ...... 10 hrs /day for 3 months , 13 hrs/ day during last month
Ninety: 3.5 months, 6-8 hrs/day

5- method of study:
HUGGIES: read first aid ndbe 1, clarified using other sources if needed, followed w/ decks, than did exams, and repeated again, read other sources if did poorly in some sections on exams
Gudluk: read kaplan first for 1 subject then switched to decks and then papers for that subject
Dlrao: first astudied from usmle lecture notes, followed by dental decks and revising as many times as i can
Ninety: I first read one complete part (e.g. biochemistery) from 1st aid and supplement with decks, and refer when still confused to other sources, then solve some ASDA Qs to know my weakness and re-read if needed, then move to next part, and before the exam i did a 2nd reading with solving more Qs​

6- which exam papers you used (ASDA, others) and which editions:
HUGGIES: all released exam, focused on 2003 and up
Gudluk:1973-2006(did them thrice)
Dlrao: ASDA papers, Kaplan q bank, kaplan supplementary exam papers, remembered questions until feb 2009
Ninety: some non-ASDA papers (very hard and better to limit your self to the pilot one), 2003 ASDA (hardest), and some from 2005 and 98​

7- your comments on:
decks:
HUGGIES: too disjointed, good supplemental source only
Dlrao: repeat as many t imes as u can, dont even leave a single line
Gudluk: is a must u shud know them in and out and if u do nothing can stop u from getting a 85plus
Ninety: don’t like to use it as Only source since it is disorganized

1st aid:
Huggies: great source
Dlrao: read usmle first aid 1 week before ur exam, this will help u a lot
Gudluk: :oops:f no use
Ninety: perfect outline but must supplement with other sources

mosby:
Huggies: idn't use it
Dlrao: No idea
Gudluk: if u have extra time read it not needed
Ninety: didnt use it

crack nbde:
Huggies: didn't use it
Dlrao: its useful, because u can learn how to manage time in exam
Gudluk: waste of money
Ninety: I didn’t have time to finish all the previous ACTUAL exam Qs, so why would I bother myself with other exam simulators!

non-ASDA papers:
Huggies:
Dlrao: of very little help
Gudluk: not needed
Ninety: as I said, concentrate on ASDA papers

8- if you had the chance to repeat NBDE I, what would you have done?
HUGGIES: write better summary notes of info read in supplemental sources
Gudluk: ?.....i wudnt do that,this was my second attempt..i m very happy with my score
Dlrao:
Ninety: take 2 more wks, review DA and anatomy more and more since these are the areas where you can spike your grade, solve more exams and study my mistakes by referring to sources to know the whole fact since it usually comes in exam in another format​

9- how did you study/spend your time 1wk to 1month before the exam?
HUGGIES: 1 wk before review physio/biochem, microbi/path and anatomy/DA last to remember most detail
Gudluk: same i didnt do anything diferent other than trying to be as calm and composed as possible,but in the last week i just flipped over my notes which really helped,last day i didnt study at all
Dlrao: just revised everything , followed by ASDA papers, crack the nbde , remembered questions a lot​
Ninety: doing reviews and 2nd readings coupled with Qs solving

10- any thing more you wish to add?
HUGGIES: how much you study or what sources you use hugely depends on when you graduated, your background and understanding of the subject matter. All of these sources may be too much or not enough for you personally. Go by what your needs our,and don't pay too much attention to how someone else did it. Use it only as a guide.
Gudluk: stay as positive as u can, be confident and calm and u will be fine​
Dlrao: ALL THE BEST FOR THOSE WHO ARE AIMING TO ACHIEVE GOOD SCORE
Ninety: if you want to PASS, decks are enough, if you want a GRADE, decks and 1st aid are not enough, so use combination of sources​

And finally thanks for our contributors, HUGGIES, Gudluk, and Dlrao, and to our great forum, SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Ninety ,
You are really so...................sweet.That's what I got on my mind abt you.That's great work..This will be really very useful for all the beginners.
Thanks a lot.So NICE OF YOU............Keep it up............:love:.....:love:
I am grateful to you, Huggies, Goodluk and Dlrao for sharing ur contributions.

Hi Ninety ,
You are really so...................sweet.That's what I got on my mind abt you.That's great work..This will be really very useful for all the beginners.
Thanks a lot.So NICE OF YOU............Keep it up............:love:.....:love:
I am grateful to you, Huggies, Goodluk and Dlrao for sharing ur contributions.

gr8 job Ninety...and all u guys are most welcome..i can totally relate to all of you who are planning to start studying for their exam.If i could be of any help please do let me know..

gudluk

A BIG THANKS to Ninety for putting this up..:)
and big thanks to dlaro, gudluck and Huggies for sharing their views..

Awesome job.

I am actually left wth 4 weeks..but after reading this post im feeln better, thnks fr all ur help and guidance.

good luck to all:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to ninety, huggies, gudluk, dlrao! your posts will help a lot of exam takers for sure.

Ninety you've put in great effort,time and energy into this.You have great passion in helping others who are in need of great advice and help.You've managed to put it all together by being precise and to the point.Many more to come are gonna benefit from this.Thanks.This is truly inspiring!

you are all welcome ,
i did it to help others tailor their own study plan by checking actual exam takers' strategies and mistakes
and without inputs from contributors (Huggies, Dlrao, and Gudluk) this thread would not exist =)

Reactions: 1 user
you are all welcome ,
i did it to help others tailor their own study plan by checking actual exam takers' strategies and mistakes
and without inputs from contributors (Huggies, Dlrao, and Gudluk) this thread would not exist =)
Hi Ninety,gr8 work.Can u plz tell important topics in anatomy,its so damn vast and everytime i sit down with anatomy i jus dont remember things that well.Plz do tell how can i improve upon anatomy and what topics u (huggies,dlrao,dentbabyand gudluk )think are jus indispensible.It would be really good if u could make a similar comparison (as u have done above )for all the subjects jus in case u are able to.Thanx for the info :)

Hi ninety,

Awesome job,this is really encouraging to all exam takers and thank u others for contributing.All the best for ur future moves...

Hi ,
Thank u , this info really helped..I just strted preparing but was wondering what to read and how much..I just strtd with micro/patho..
One more thing is whether to take the exam date before and then start preparing or prepare some part and then take the date..

hello,
When i joined SDN i was looking for a thread that has all details i need but unfortunately i didn't find it. So i decided to share experiences of those who passed with those awaiting their exams or planning to take NBDE I. As a result, i wrote couple of questions and selected some recent exam takers to answere them. P.s.: if any wish to contribute to this thread please copy/paste Qs and write your answeres.

reference-USMLE first aid, usmle organ system, okeson, decks, wheeler, netter atlas anatomy, released exams
Dlrao: : kaplan nbde review, kaplan usmle lecture notes, usmle first aid, dental decks 2009, ASDA papers, kaplan Q bank, Aclands human anatomy DVD , kaplan supplementary exam papers, remembered questions, okeson for occlusion, Lippincott for biochemistry​

5- method of study:
HUGGIES: read first aid ndbe 1, clarified using other sources if needed, followed w/ decks, than did exams, and repeated again, read other sources if did poorly in some sections on exams
Gudluk: read kaplan first for 1 subject then switched to decks and then papers for that subject
Dlrao: first astudied from usmle lecture notes, followed by dental decks and revising as many times as i can
Ninety: I first read one complete part (e.g. biochemistery) from 1st aid and supplement with decks, and refer when still confused to other sources, then solve some ASDA Qs to know my weakness and re-read if needed, then move to next part, and before the exam i did a 2nd reading with solving more Qs​

Dlrao: ASDA papers, Kaplan q bank, kaplan supplementary exam papers, remembered questions until feb 2009
Ninety: some non-ASDA papers (very hard and better to limit your self to the pilot one), 2003 ASDA (hardest), and some from 2005 and 98​

7- your comments on:
decks:
Gudluk: is a must u shud know them in and out and if u do nothing can stop u from getting a 85plus

1st aid:

mosby:

crack nbde:
Ninety: I didn’t have time to finish all the previous ACTUAL exam Qs, so why would I bother myself with other exam simulators!

non-ASDA papers:
Huggies:

Gudluk: ?.....i wudnt do that,this was my second attempt..i m very happy with my score
Dlrao:
Ninety: take 2 more wks, review DA and anatomy more and more since these are the areas where you can spike your grade, solve more exams and study my mistakes by referring to sources to know the whole fact since it usually comes in exam in another format​

HUGGIES: 1 wk before review physio/biochem, microbi/path and anatomy/DA last to remember most detail
Gudluk: same i didnt do anything diferent other than trying to be as calm and composed as possible,but in the last week i just flipped over my notes which really helped,last day i didnt study at all
Dlrao: just revised everything , followed by ASDA papers, crack the nbde , remembered questions a lot​

HUGGIES: how much you study or what sources you use hugely depends on when you graduated, your background and understanding of the subject matter. All of these sources may be too much or not enough for you personally. Go by what your needs our,and don't pay too much attention to how someone else did it. Use it only as a guide.
Ninety: if you want to PASS, decks are enough, if you want a GRADE, decks and 1st aid are not enough, so use combination of sources​

And finally thanks for our contributors, HUGGIES, Gudluk, and Dlrao, and to our great forum, SDN

hi omfs1,
1- for patho, 1st aid is more than enough, but for micro you have to have something more than decks/1st aid just to explain more, but you will have the same details
2- it depends on how much time you have, lets say if you have 5 wks only and you want to write in Canada (few centers), then definitely book appointment first
but if you have plenty of time e.g. 5 months and want to write in New York (multiple prometric centers) then you can wait but no longer than 2 months prior to exam date (and keep checking availability regularly)

I will be taking the exam in the u.s. i just started preparation..Reading the nbde 1 , synopsis book followed by dental decks..If i take the exam in september , how much time daily is to be devoted according to you..and what subject in part 1 is top scoring.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
you should do your best daily, for me it is 6-8 hrs and sometimes 10

highest national average in DA (followed by anatomy if not mistaken), least in bio/phsio

so you know youe self best and should determine what suits you best =)

btw, most difficult part to prepare is MICROooooooooooooooooooo
you will know what i mean when you reach this subject!

Hi ,
Thanks a lot for your help.
I dot know..micro is difficult to remember but somehow nothing scares me most then anat and biochem.:scared:
Thanks to other guys for their wonderful contribution.:luck:

Last edited:
Hi! ninety,
Problem.I guess one of the reason why most of us dont do well in the exam is coz after awhile of reading we tend to daydream a lot and end up getting bored or something.For me i set the target for the day but it always ends up piled up for the next day!I mean wat different did you guys do?Reading for an average of 12-13 hrs per day needs a lot of motivation and focus.Any suggesions?

what? 12-13 hrs? i never did it for nbde, i sometimes do it in my dental school for ONLY 1 NIGHT! although some ppl can handle this long hours for 3-5 wks, i could not

and it is similar for me, i everyday i had a plan to do and most of days i ended up with a remaining 20-25% for next day :(

so reading little amount everday is better than reading a chapter twice a week!
keep it up=)

Thanks ninety,
so the idea is to do little at a time.But wat if say you have your exam in a months time and you have to put in extra hours?Wat do you do then?

Yes agreed , 12-13hrs is too much ,
Also 90 - i wanted to know, do u think that mere 4-5 hrs a day will be sufficient to appear for the nbde-1 in sept..even when there are anat and biochem me dfnitli not confident about..or should it be prepared well and exam be taken in dec..
also if i take one part in dec and next in may,will i be eligible for admission in 2010..and what are the new rules that have come up for nbde exams???
thanks if u could help.
coz i dont have much knowledge as to what range of score is the best for you, how to apply and preferably where to??

Last edited:
Hi 90, gudluk,dlrao,huggies,

guys have posted a new thread with my simple yet confusing queries..can u help?
others are welcome too to share their memorizing formulas, which work for them, might work for me too..this is just the beginning , will need more memorizing tips along the way.
thank u guys.God Bless.

hello,

5- method of study:

7- your comments on:
decks:

1st aid:

mosby:

crack nbde:

non-ASDA papers:
Huggies:

Dlrao:

hey ninety really a great job
i am planning to give on august ,i have finished decks once ,nbde 1 once,and few questions
this is my second time
i really want to score high
first time i just got 80
i am confused whether to give on august or revise once nicely and go for september
i paid the fees for exam and i got my aligibility no for jcnda aslo
but am confused
i am in philly so i want to apply upen
so i want to give in august but am scared still am not so confident what to do
what u suggest
i started studying form may 20 6 to 8 hours per day
not done all exams
whils doing asda questions am getting 20 25 wrong in 100
so what should i do
aug or september
am confused
this is my problem ,i know i shud know better but what u suggest\\
4 applying UPEN I SHUD HURRY OR NOT
AND AM CONCENTRARING ON NBDE FIRST AID DECKS AND ASDA
WILL IT BE ENOUGH
FOR DA OKESON
HOPE U WILL HELP ME

hello maiya,
since this is your 2nd attempt, i would say 1 month delay is never a bad idea

so yes, if you can afford studying in this one more month as you are doing now and there is nothing in your life (college deadline, family issues ..etc), then absolutely go for it

and i would suugest you concentrating on your MISTAKES in asda papers... but how?
by checking each piece of information and refering to your refernce of info (decks, nbde 1st aid, wikipedia ..) so that you dont only know the answere of this Q but the whole section info being tested

why? although only 20-40 Qs repeat in real exam, other Qs are almost repeated in another form, so if you have revised this section then you will definitely answere it

check our last posts of our thread "is there anyone having exam in may/june?" i did a quite good post on exam conditions
and once you pass it dont forget to bring me some colorful candies=)

Hi 90 ,

you are getting all the blessings from us with the fantastic help being offered by you and other guys.
God Bless.:thumbup:

Last edited:
:scared: is mosby's review for the nbde good enough..
i can make it my one main book to study from by adding additional notes to it cz i dont have first aid..what do u suggest?

Last edited:
hi 90,
I like your guidence....... well iam not able to get good score in DA. though i know iam making maistakes, please suggest me.,, i did nbde first aid, decks , and kaplan..... doing old papers too.... ia have my exam in aug........

Hi 90 ,

Sorry i didnt get it???Well it is good to summarize all the points..cz to go thru the deatiled book of each and every subject gets tiring and boring..is it required???detailed theory study??

hello maiya,
since this is your 2nd attempt, i would say 1 month delay is never a bad idea

so yes, if you can afford studying in this one more month as you are doing now and there is nothing in your life (college deadline, family issues ..etc), then absolutely go for it

and i would suugest you concentrating on your MISTAKES in asda papers... but how?
by checking each piece of information and refering to your refernce of info (decks, nbde 1st aid, wikipedia ..) so that you dont only know the answere of this Q but the whole section info being tested

why? although only 20-40 Qs repeat in real exam, other Qs are almost repeated in another form, so if you have revised this section then you will definitely answere it

check our last posts of our thread "is there anyone having exam in may/june?" i did a quite good post on exam conditions
and once you pass it dont forget to bring me some colorful candies=)
hey ninety
i will concentrate on what u said.hope this time i will make it.You are really helping testtakers.may god grant ur wish whatever wish you have.i will 100% post u candies.i am really studying seriously this time.hope i will make it this time.wis me luck and thanx for all ur posts in this forum.they are really helpful to all
keep it up

Hi,
Please tell me is it necessary to read Female reproductive and male reproductive pathology????Did u have any questions????
Thanks

hi 90,
I like your guidence....... well iam not able to get good score in DA. though i know iam making maistakes, please suggest me.,, i did nbde first aid, decks , and kaplan..... doing old papers too.... ia have my exam in aug........
i understanded occlusion better when i studied my mistakes in asda papers and why each choice is right/wrong + visulaizing occlusion and where should this cusp occluding with ...etc
in DA, more than other sections, you have to be exteremly catious with reading Qs, you may understand that this Q is asking about something while it is totally something else and it happened to me in the real exam where i choosed an answere and suddenly discovered Q is about something else
so dont jump and read choices but read the Q carfully and may be twice then look for choices

hey 90,
I have too many different problems. First, when i took my testing for the first time, I felt anatomy n DA was damn so good. But when the scores came, I scored in low 70's,by which I was shocked.
Second, reg micro patho n physio biochem, I was skeptical abt my performance esp patho n physio testlet questions. But when my scores came I was thrilled to see the high 70's score. I couldn't predict why? I need your help for this to get this fixed ths time. I used Kaplan NBDE review, Decks, asda papers. I don know anything wrong with my resources. Honestly have not tried any first aid. pls gimme a feedback to do atleast this time.

hey omfs,
when is your testin? howz that goin? i'm doin new decks anatomy, i have not tried first aid yet. happy learning.

Hi 90, gudluk,dlrao,huggies,

guys have posted a new thread with my simple yet confusing queries..can u help?
others are welcome too to share their memorizing formulas, which work for them, might work for me too..this is just the beginning , will need more memorizing tips along the way.
thank u guys.God Bless.

Hi ok good post n i would like to add my 2 cents for others too,

I had 87, and I did crack nbde n kaplan q bank.

i didnt do any unreleased remembere question(i dont like tht i guess)

What i feel is this that I UNDERSETIMATED DA ppl plz give DA its due respect, only if i had done it from wheelers n went thru all teeth more thouroughly i would have a 90 too but well its ok im not too unhappy i count my blessings :) usually

goodluck everone

hey 90,
I have too many different problems. First, when i took my testing for the first time, I felt anatomy n DA was damn so good. But when the scores came, I scored in low 70's,by which I was shocked.
Second, reg micro patho n physio biochem, I was skeptical abt my performance esp patho n physio testlet questions. But when my scores came I was thrilled to see the high 70's score. I couldn't predict why? I need your help for this to get this fixed ths time. I used Kaplan NBDE review, Decks, asda papers. I don know anything wrong with my resources. Honestly have not tried any first aid. pls gimme a feedback to do atleast this time.
this is totally normal, i used to score as high as 87 in bio-physio and as low as 70 in pathi-micro in asda papers, and guess what? my highest score in real exam was patho 81 and lowest in bio 75!

and what i have concluded is that the difficult part in bio-pysio is not bio but PHYSIOLOGY ! one reason is that bio Qs are straight forward in exam (unlike tricky physio Qs) and second is bio accounts for less than 40% of the total section and rest is physio :(

well, the problem came that i couldt find any other book except the mosby one..so i am reading that..plus kaplans.
currentli i am doing micro plus decks and then pathoi..cz i am scared of anat..so i pick up subjects which are not that scary for me.first.i was planning to give in sept..but cz of additional responsibilities of home i am unable to devote that much time..but defntli by dec.what about you?

Hey 90,

you are right, i am always making mistakes in reading qusetions for DA, but i will take care for the same..........You opened my eyes.....
I am scoring on released exams ,For DA- 80-85......(ASDA)
Is it good?

Guide me,
Thanks for your guidence,,,,, which motivated me,

hey

im struggling wth anat, its so vast, doin decks n frst aid n review ennuf? ny special tips fr scoring well on anat/

How did you guys have 8 or so hours per day to study for 4 months? does this mean you took a year off from dental school? thanks.

How did you guys have 8 or so hours per day to study for 4 months? does this mean you took a year off from dental school? thanks.
They are not dental students anymore, they are dentists, usually foreign trained dentists. Some of them are working part-time or they took some time off or others are here in the United States, volunteering, working as dental assistants or not working at all. That means that they can study the whole day.

hi ninety..ur post was a great help...wud u pls tell me if kaplan review notes n lecture notes are the same...
hello,
i bought one kaplan book (dentEssential) and didnt use it since it consists of tables, diagrams, figures ...etc and not paragraphs
what i used was review note, no longer avilabe in "official" market but can download it for free or buy full package from other sites (e.g. payloadz)
the review notes consists of 1000+ pages and is excellent in bio, good in physio, helpful in micro, good in patho, bad in DA

regarding pilot exam, you will find it in the package with other exams
best of luck

actually i did my preparation immediatly after graduation to be done with this tough test

Hi Ninety,
U have mentioned review notes...r u referring to the kaplan review notes here ? Please carify this.
Thanks
hello,
i bought one kaplan book (dentEssential) and didnt use it since it consists of tables, diagrams, figures ...etc and not paragraphs
what i used was review note, no longer avilabe in "official" market but can download it for free or buy full package from other sites (e.g. payloadz)
the review notes consists of 1000+ pages and is excellent in bio, good in physio, helpful in micro, good in patho, bad in DA

regarding pilot exam, you will find it in the package with other exams
best of luck