how to prepare for PCAT and PCAT verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoangtran87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new in this forum. I will finish my B.S in Biochemistry in this and will take PCAT exam in june 19th.
Since English is my second language, i'm so worry about it. I need you advise what book should i buy to study?
Does PCAT give pharmacy article for this verbal and quatitive analysis ?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I'm new in this forum. I will finish my B.S in Biochemistry in this and will take PCAT exam in june 19th.
Since English is my second language, i'm so worry about it. I need you advise what book should i buy to study?
Does PCAT give pharmacy article for this verbal and quatitive analysis ?
thanks

I recommend you start by buying a KAPLAN PCAT Study guide. I used the 2007 edition when i was studying for the PCAT. It helped me alot with the bio, general chem and quant sections. I also bought the official PCAT practice test from peason. i think its $60 for two practice test, but totally worth it. No study guide out there accurately captures the reading comprehension section...to me, only the official PCAT practice test did. As for the verbal...i hosnestly do not know how you can study for that. I bought books, read articles, learned new words and stuff, but still scored low in this section on the PCAT. So i really don't know what advice to give you on that. One thing that also helped me alot for the exam in general was PRACTICE....you can go to your local library and check out pcat studyguide books. most of them have practice exams in them. practice your timing with these exams. Timing is a big deal because you might know the answers to the questions, but you still need to know how to manage your time in order to finish in a timely manner.

PS: i have a friend who swears by the the "Dr Collins Self Study Course"...... (website) http://www.pcatprepclass.com/register.html#self_study
I didn't use this course, so i can't know for sure if it really helps, but you might want to consider this too because alot of people say its a good way to prepare for the PCAT.

...hope my little input helps..Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
My native language is not english either, but I studied SAT words from when I was in high school and also my brother's GRE words... I'm doing a lot better on practice exams for the verbal sections.

Also like the posts earlier said, timing is soooo important. when I tried the practice passages, they were shorter than the real thing, but I still couldn't finish on time, but after about a month of practice I learned new methods to complete the reading comp section.

hope this helps!

i'm practicing reading comprehension. After 5 essays, i feel extremely tired.
Thank you all for replying