how to reject lab positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwe7791

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to two labs and both professors seem open to accepting me. What if they both accept me? How would I reject the other professor without hurting their feelings or making it seem like I was just there to waste their time?

Members don't see this ad.

I have applied to two labs and both professors seem open to accepting me. What if they both accept me? How would I reject the other professor without hurting their feelings or making it seem like I was just there to waste their time?

They are professionals, you aren't going to hurt their feelings by not taking the job. Just thank them for their time and consideration and say that after thinking about it you didn't feel that the lab was the right fit for you but you hope they find the right person...or something along those lines. It isn't rocket science.

They are professionals, you aren't going to hurt their feelings by not taking the job. Just thank them for their time and consideration and say that after thinking about it you didn't feel that the lab was the right fit for you but you hope they find the right person...or something along those lines. It isn't rocket science.

This. They probably won't care one bit haha, just follow mcloaf's sage advice and keep it polite and professional.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yep, this is what I had to do. I sent a polite email thanking the professors for their time. None of the professors even responded to my email, lol.

T'was awkward when I saw the professor the week later at the grocery store though (I chose a different line).

If I were invited to an interview for a research position, what should I bring with me?

bring paper and a pen and if you have it your favorite paper by that profs lab (if you bring the paper make sure you can talk about it if they ask something)

for applying at multiple labs (if its in the same department then they already know you applied to more then one) if not just be honest about it and explain you felt one was a better fit.

Alternatively when I got two offers at once and i didn't want to turn either down I just got the profs to pool their resources and i split my hours. Both were happy because it made hiring me much cheaper

Read the lab website and a couple abstracts enough to have a general idea what the lab is studying and why you're interested in it.

If you are interested in having a long term project resulting in an abstract or publication, mention that in the beginning. If not, no need to.

Bring a notepad, paper, and your CV. The PI might show you the lab and give some details about what kind of things undergrads have done/can do so take thorough notes.

Also, when comparing labs, focus on a few things:

What is the quality of research coming out of the lab?
How responsive and engaged is the PI to your questions/will they make a good mentor?
Will this PI kill you if you make a mistake? (You will make mistakes starting out- everyone does haha, it's a part of research.)
Do the people in the lab appear miserable or excited about their research?
Is there the opportunity for a long term project?
How many people are in the lab? 15 students and 1 PI means you will never see that PI haha. If there are a lot of people but a good Postdoc:Student ratio you could be ok.

Don't be afraid to ask students in the lab how their projects are going and how often they get to meet with the PI. If the answer is they're not and never, then you figured out which lab not to join haha.

Read the lab website and a couple abstracts enough to have a general idea what the lab is studying and why you're interested in it.

If you are interested in having a long term project resulting in an abstract or publication, mention that in the beginning. If not, no need to.

Bring a notepad, paper, and your CV. The PI might show you the lab and give some details about what kind of things undergrads have done/can do so take thorough notes.

Also, when comparing labs, focus on a few things:

What is the quality of research coming out of the lab?
How responsive and engaged is the PI to your questions/will they make a good mentor?
Will this PI kill you if you make a mistake? (You will make mistakes starting out- everyone does haha, it's a part of research.)
Do the people in the lab appear miserable or excited about their research?
Is there the opportunity for a long term project?
How many people are in the lab? 15 students and 1 PI means you will never see that PI haha. If there are a lot of people but a good Postdoc:Student ratio you could be ok.

Don't be afraid to ask students in the lab how their projects are going and how often they get to meet with the PI. If the answer is they're not and never, then you figured out which lab not to join haha.

I definitely would like to get published, but wouldn't that make me seem pushy asking that early?

Also, how would I get to meet a PI before I actually join a lab? I don't want to make the mistake of joining, finding out the PI is mean,etc, and then leave the lab, which I presume would not be desirable..

Also, how would I get to meet a PI before I actually join a lab? I don't want to make the mistake of joining, finding out the PI is mean,etc, and then leave the lab, which I presume would not be desirable..

You don't have that luxury as an undergraduate. You can go to myedu or a similar site and try to find out the professor's ratings and comments but that's pretty much the extent of it.

I definitely would like to get published, but wouldn't that make me seem pushy asking that early?

IMHO, mentioning that you want a publication seems naive.

In my experience, most PI's will interview you before they let you join so I don't see their personality being too much of a mystery.

IMHO, mentioning that you want a publication seems naive.

In my experience, most PI's will interview you before they let you join so I don't see their personality being too much of a mystery.

I've heard of PIs hoodwinking graduate students for months and then totally changing attitude when the grad students officially join the lab... you never know.

They're a professor, not a 16 year old girl. They won't care if you decline politely.

You don't have that luxury as an undergraduate. You can go to myedu or a similar site and try to find out the professor's ratings and comments but that's pretty much the extent of it.

I have to disagree. I emailed 5 to 10 labs I was interested in when I first started looking as an undergrad. Most PIs didn't answer. A few did, and I interviewed with them directly before choosing. My uni had a great undergrad research community. Ask around at your school, maybe other undergrad researchers know which PI is a good mentor and who isn't.

I've heard of PIs hoodwinking graduate students for months and then totally changing attitude when the grad students officially join the lab... you never know.

This is about right for some PIs, even with undergrads.

For the issue of asking about abstracts and publications, it all depends on how you go about asking. Fortunately, my PI explicitly stated an opportunity for projects and publications. However, if you are unsure of the opportunities, ask the question as part of a normal conversation. Find the lab's website and see if it has produced any papers. Ask the interviewer what opportunities are available to turn any projects you might be working on into something more. Be tactful. Just don't sit there and go "I want an authorship on a paper or I won't join the lab."

Goodness gracious, so many threads about multiple lab positions and offers from different labs. I can't even get 1 PI to return an email :(

Just be professional about it; say that you were very interested in his/her lab, but you've decided to pursue another opportunity (make sure to thank him profusely).