How to Study for Science Exams in College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

konp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am interested in getting into medicine and I have very little science background in my academic studies in the past. I majored in Sociology and had no clue in what I wanted to do during the undergraduate years so therefore I decided to join the work force after receiving my BA. I've been working for a long time and now I feel I am ready to go back to school and pursue a more advanced degree.

As a person with little science background, I find science classes to be intimidating. For one, there are so much information to consume and to digest and on top of that, tests are always weigh heavily. I understand that like any other major, including the social science and other soft major, it's important to do well on tests. However, my concern is the tests in the sciences such as the biology, physics, and the chemistry (this includes the Organic chemistry & biochemistry).

With this fact in mind, my questions are

1) What is the best approaches to do well on science classes?
2) How long should we study for a science test, such as for the Organic Chemistry, biochemistry and physics?
3) How do you manage your time on tests?
4) How do you do well on tests under the time pressure for science class exams and especially for the MCAT?
Half of the questions here are aiming at time pressure, so I can say confidently that my concern is mainly regarding to how to do well under time pressure when it comes to studying and test performance.

I also have heard from many students that they pick and choose professors in order to get As and get in the graduate schools of their choice. The flaw in this thought is what if we do not have the chance to choose a professors and we end up in a class where the professor is known to make confusing and difficult exams.

Please keep in mind I posted the question in the Medical School forum due to the fact that many of the people here have gone through the MD application process and are now in an MD school which I find to be more helpful than the Pre-Medical forum where most students are trying to find a way to enter the door of a medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Anki and practice problems.

2) How long should we study for a science test, such as for the Organic Chemistry, biochemistry and physics?

As long as it takes until you understand the material.

Practice.

4) How do you do well on tests under the time pressure for science class exams and especially for the MCAT?

Practice.

Half of the questions here are aiming at time pressure, so I can say confidently that my concern is mainly regarding to how to do well under time pressure when it comes to studying and test performance.

Practice.

Reactions: 1 users

Hi Gurby, thank you for your quick response. I want to clarify a word you mentioned on your post. I do not know what Anki is Google said it is a flashcard app and I found the link related to it. Here it is: Anki - powerful, intelligent flashcards

Let me know if this is what you were referring to. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Gurby, thank you for your quick response. I want to clarify a word you mentioned on your post. I do not know what Anki is Google said it is a flashcard app and I found the link related to it. Here it is: Anki - powerful, intelligent flashcards

Let me know if this is what you were referring to. Thank you!

Yes, that's a great app to learn large amounts of information and relies on spaced interval repetition. Also, you'll get more advice in the pre-med forum as this is for people already in med school. A mod can probably move this thread.

Just to add about doing well in difficult classes, a lot of it comes down to working harder than your other classmates. If it's a tough class where everyone struggles, the top 20% will get As. Be in this group by studying hard and often. Go to office hours, review exams, anything you can to get in the top that gets As.

College is mostly about making it your #1 priority. Most people don't do that and that is why they don't get As. If you're worried about time pressure, doing TIMED practice questions is the best for doing well. This goes mostly for the MCAT, I didn't have many tests where time was an issue in college or in med school so far. Usually it's just standardized tests that have strict time constraints.

Yes, that's a great app to learn large amounts of information and relies on spaced interval repetition. Also, you'll get more advice in the pre-med forum as this is for people already in med school. A mod can probably move this thread.

Just to add about doing well in difficult classes, a lot of it comes down to working harder than your other classmates. If it's a tough class where everyone struggles, the top 20% will get As. Be in this group by studying hard and often. Go to office hours, review exams, anything you can to get in the top that gets As.

College is mostly about making it your #1 priority. Most people don't do that and that is why they don't get As. If you're worried about time pressure, doing TIMED practice questions is the best for doing well. This goes mostly for the MCAT, I didn't have many tests where time was an issue in college or in med school so far. Usually it's just standardized tests that have strict time constraints.

Thank you for your repsonse
!

1. Seek to the gain a conceptual understanding, not just to memorize stuff. Memorization doesn't help beyond a certain point and is the wrong way to approach the basic sciences. Understand why things happen and the basic principles. For math-based classes/problems, learn how to use dimensional analysis. Can help you figure out if you're getting the right answer or not based only on what units you get out.

2. Start studying a week before the exam so you don't have to cram. Make sure you leave enough time in there to take at least one or two practice exams. In chemistry, the more practice exams you take, the better. Knowing what an aldol reaction is isn't going to help you unless you can apply it to a novel chemical structure.

3. Use the practice tests to gauge time. If you're taking too long on a problem, you have to go back and study that concept until you understand it thoroughly.

4. Practice exams. Practice, practice, practice. After your performance in your undergraduate science classes, the other huge determining factor of your MCAT score is practice exams.

I also have heard from many students that they pick and choose professors in order to get As and get in the graduate schools of their choice. The flaw in this thought is what if we do not have the chance to choose a professors and we end up in a class where the professor is known to make confusing and difficult exams.

The best students will rise to the top no matter what the challenge is. You shouldn't be afraid or intimidated just because someone else says a professor is tough. See it as a challenge that you can and will overcome.

Here is my perspective as a previous teacher/current medical student:

Two words: Practice problems.

Every day. How long each day depends on you. As long as you do something course-related every day, that is a good start.

Time yourself on practice test questions BEFORE the actual test. I usually started timing myself three days before the actual test. This will help you gauge where you’re at, what you need to focus on, and will also help alleviate pressure on test day because you are already used to testing under time constraints.

You should be coming up with an answer in your head while you’re reading the question. If you finish reading the question and you are completely lost, skip it and come back at the end if there is time. Make sure you prioritize questions that you know so you earn as many points possible. If you miss a few, that’s ok.

You seem to have some concerns about studying science in general. Keep in mind that premed sciences are only a fraction as challenging as actual med school. Make sure you’re prepared to dedicate the next 6-8 years of your life studying very rigorous sciences, and the REST of your life working along side them.

I read textbooks and wrote my own notes in a notebook. I also made notecards for things I needed to straight up memorize. 15-20 hours per exam for difficult classes. I had much success doing this

Hello everyone,

I am interested in getting into medicine and I have very little science background in my academic studies in the past. I majored in Sociology and had no clue in what I wanted to do during the undergraduate years so therefore I decided to join the work force after receiving my BA. I've been working for a long time and now I feel I am ready to go back to school and pursue a more advanced degree.

As a person with little science background, I find science classes to be intimidating. For one, there are so much information to consume and to digest and on top of that, tests are always weigh heavily. I understand that like any other major, including the social science and other soft major, it's important to do well on tests. However, my concern is the tests in the sciences such as the biology, physics, and the chemistry (this includes the Organic chemistry & biochemistry).

With this fact in mind, my questions are

Please keep in mind I posted the question in the Medical School forum due to the fact that many of the people here have gone through the MD application process and are now in an MD school which I find to be more helpful than the Pre-Medical forum where most students are trying to find a way to enter the door of a medical school.

A lot of good advice on studying for science courses was given in this earlier thread:
I can't get A's despite taking a decelerated course load. Help?

Make sure your foundation in algebra and prealgebra are solid. You will have to rely on that in chemistry and physics. If you can't handle taking words in a problem and converting them into a simple linear equation (algebra I), you will struggle in physics. If you don't understand proportions, percentages and ratios, you will struggle in chemistry.

So refresh your foundational math as needed before you start with chemistry or physics.

Read your assigned reading before the professor lectures about it. If you have time, work on the assigned problems before the professor lectures about them.

Work on practice problems that the professor gives you and those taken from other resources like old exams, old problem sets, the back of the textbook. Buy and use the solution manuals for your textbooks.

Go to office hours with your questions well before any grading deadlines.

Stay ahead in your classes.

Schedule your hard classes so they are spaced apart; don't take them all at once.

Here is my perspective as a previous teacher/current medical student:

Two words: Practice problems.

Every day. How long each day depends on you. As long as you do something course-related every day, that is a good start.

Time yourself on practice test questions BEFORE the actual test. I usually started timing myself three days before the actual test. This will help you gauge where you’re at, what you need to focus on, and will also help alleviate pressure on test day because you are already used to testing under time constraints.

You should be coming up with an answer in your head while you’re reading the question. If you finish reading the question and you are completely lost, skip it and come back at the end if there is time. Make sure you prioritize questions that you know so you earn as many points possible. If you miss a few, that’s ok.

You seem to have some concerns about studying science in general. Keep in mind that premed sciences are only a fraction as challenging as actual med school. Make sure you’re prepared to dedicate the next 6-8 years of your life studying very rigorous sciences, and the REST of your life working along side them.

I have concern about the science classes because I have very little experience in it. I believe I can tackle the prerequisite classes and still do decently in them.

I have concern about the science classes because I have very little experience in it. I believe I can tackle the prerequisite classes and still do decently in them.

How did you do in your high school math and science classes?

Did you take any AP high school math or science classes?

I conjure up images of my textbooks in my visual field and wave a wand to spell away my fears. /s

Time pressure may be a sign that you're lacking some fundamentals. Brush up on your material and the time pressure issue should disappear with practice.

Learn the conceptual ideas, followed by practice questions. Don't strictly memorize, but try to understand what the point of topic is. Memorize where applicable. Repetition usually helps.

To the point where you feel like you have a good grasp of the material and can teach a friend. Everyone is different. For the classes you like, it will come easier, the harder ones not so much. Which ones are hard? That also depends on the person. For example; I took Orgo 2 and physics together. I studied 6x as much for physics than I did for Orgo and got an A in Orgo and a B in physics. Still loved physics tho. It's all relative.

Browse the exam to get a general sense of how many questions, browse the clock to see the time available. Simple division will give you the minutes per question and then work accordingly. Don't look too often at the clock though cause that in itself will waste time.

Focus, confidence, good preparation, practice, keeping healthy (ish), determination, Common sense; if you don't know the answer, skip it and come back.

Time pressure becomes much less of a concern when you get a couple of exams under your belt. In my experience, the better you understand and remember the material, the quicker you can answer questions so time isn't the main factor.

My advice, commit. Medicine is long and hard and you should be sure that it's what you want to do.

I conjure up images of my textbooks in my visual field and wave a wand to spell away my fears. /s

Your avatar resembles Hermione Granger (Harry Potter's friend). And now this ...

To echo some good points:

Study until you truly understand the material - however long that takes. This is important because science classes are cumulative. What you learn in Chem 1 & 2 you'll use in Orgo 1&2, Biochem, etc. Absorb it into your bones - not just to pass this week's test.

If you're assigned homework, do it then come back to it later and do it all a second time. I like to run through all homework problems a second or third time before an exam. I found this especially useful for physics and organic chemistry.

DO NOT CRAM. Cramming may get you through the 100-level courses. It will not get you through the harder sciences and you need to retain the information for years.

As others have said, brush up on your mathematics if you need to.

I disagree with this, in part:
You shouldn't be afraid or intimidated just because someone else says a professor is tough. See it as a challenge that you can and will overcome.

Some tough professors are good; others are tough because they're bad. Scope out your professors in advance, but remember that experiences are subjective.

thanks for responding everyone! I will keep every suggestion in mind!

How did you do in your high school math and science classes?

Did you take any AP high school math or science classes?

I wasn't a good student back in high school. I did plan to take AP science classes or math (the only class that was offered was AP calculus) because many of my classmates were taken them but dropped them at the end. I only took regular courses and I did okay in them, mostly Bs and As. I think I didn't have confidence in myself
To echo some good points:

Study until you truly understand the material - however long that takes. This is important because science classes are cumulative. What you learn in Chem 1 & 2 you'll use in Orgo 1&2, Biochem, etc. Absorb it into your bones - not just to pass this week's test.

If you're assigned homework, do it then come back to it later and do it all a second time. I like to run through all homework problems a second or third time before an exam. I found this especially useful for physics and organic chemistry.

DO NOT CRAM. Cramming may get you through the 100-level courses. It will not get you through the harder sciences and you need to retain the information for years.

As others have said, brush up on your mathematics if you need to.

I disagree with this, in part:

Some tough professors are good; others are tough because they're bad. Scope out your professors in advance, but remember that experiences are subjective.

Yes I agree with your comment about the search for a professor. A medical student from a tough undergrad school told me he had to do some research about his professors; he is a third year med student at a competitive medical school.

I wasn't a good student back in high school. I did plan to take AP science classes or math (the only class that was offered was AP calculus) because many of my classmates were taken them but dropped them at the end. I only took regular courses and I did okay in them, mostly Bs and As. I think I didn't have confidence in myself

Yes I agree with your comment about the search for a professor. A medical student from a tough undergrad school told me he had to do some research about his professors; he is a third year med student at a competitive medical school.

Challenging professors often attract the best ambitious students and teach courses in the most conceptually challenging way that will help prepare you for the MCAT.

Less rigorous professors often attract less ambitious students and teach science more superficially, which is less helpful for the MCAT.

You can see professor ratings on ratemyprofessor.com.

Your school might also have internal reviews and commentary about your professors available to students.

I will keep this in mind!

Challenging professors often attract the best ambitious students and teach courses in the most conceptually challenging way that will help prepare you for the MCAT.

Less rigorous professors often attract less ambitious students and teach science more superficially, which is less helpful for the MCAT.

You can see professor ratings on ratemyprofessor.com.

Your school might also have internal reviews and commentary about your professors available to students.