How to study SMARTER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do successful premeds study?
I need new ideas... If I make note-cards, I feel like I'm wasting time making them (I don't learn by writing).
If I do problems, I feel like I'm wasting time doing problems I know how to do.

I study by reading material and looking at problems + solutions. This works best for me, but it's clearly not effective as I'm doing average in all my classes. And a 2.7 GPA is not going to cut it.

Members don't see this ad.

Turn off your phone
Go to the library
Note cards suck you retain more and recall more when you make study sheets..
Read textbook
Go to class and pay attention
Exercise
Eat well
7-8 hours of sleep
Don't cram but learn
Do problems
Turn off your phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flashcard everything, good nights sleep, good nutrition. no partying and 4/20 blazing until after you're done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just try to understand what the professor looks for, what they want you to know.

Try typing your notes into One Note or Evernote.
What type of learner are you? Visual? Auditory? Sometimes watching videos on youtube helps me.

KHAN ACADEMY!!! :prof:

Reactions: 1 user
figure out the best way you learn
taking notes does nothing for me, but podcasting lectures and listening repetitively does
sometimes i record lectures that werent offered to be podcasted at my undergrad

This is far too generic a question for any of us to answer. No single person learns the exact same as another, and for that reason study habits are truly individual efforts. My best studying was always finding a hole in the science buildings, throwing some music on, and just digging into lecture material, as that is what my professors tested on. Once you take the first exam in a course, look at where that professor gets their questions from. Do they actually use the book? Do they only use their class materials? What format is the test in? These help immensely.

Outside of that, live a healthy lifestyle and make sure you're being efficient in what you do.

This is far too generic a question for any of us to answer. No single person learns the exact same as another, and for that reason study habits are truly individual efforts. My best studying was always finding a hole in the science buildings, throwing some music on, and just digging into lecture material, as that is what my professors tested on. Once you take the first exam in a course, look at where that professor gets their questions from. Do they actually use the book? Do they only use their class materials? What format is the test in? These help immensely.

Outside of that, live a healthy lifestyle and make sure you're being efficient in what you do.
Ugh I'm having trouble with my BioChem course. It's mostly lecture material, but also some info from the book (and obviously whatever overlaps).

The quizzes kill me.

Ugh I'm having trouble with my BioChem course. It's mostly lecture material, but also some info from the book (and obviously whatever overlaps).

The quizzes kill me.

If that vast majority of the material is from the lecture, focus on lecture material. It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to get the main gist from the book as well - maybe taking notes on the main points from each paragraph to create a mental map.

Usually when I hear people say quizzes kill them I instantly think "not prepared" in that you're not keeping up with material every day. A good way to resolve this is before each lecture read the relevant material (should be provided a topic/chapters in your syllabus), then after each lecture you attend take a quick break for a snack, then go over your lecture notes for that day. This is one of the most effective study habits I ever encountered in college. Of course, I didn't follow it because I had terrible habits and crammed, but it's certainly what I wish I did.

Reactions: 1 user
Its really all about figuring on what your professor is going to include on the tests. This is almost impossible for the first exam, but you should know what to expect for the rest of the semester after your first test. If you know what will be on the test then you won't waste your time studying things that you don't even need to know

Uhh the second week in quarter schools barely passed by and you probably only took one quiz. Go to office hours and ask the professor what he will be quizzing you on if it is not clear. Last week, the only not 100 I got was in Biochem, but I think this is because I'm a little weak in Chemistry and it was review, is that the problem?

Here's what I do: I rewrite my notes but try and condense a topic into one or two sentences. So something that may be several slides of information is condensed to the vital information.