How to Study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ORamahiii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just had a simple question on how to study. I tried following Ari's study guide but i don't really like the style and I feel like i studying multiple 4 things everyday is kind of hard.

In conclusion, I was wondering if anybody had studied by doing a whole week of reading Cliffs and making notecards, then another week for Gen chem with Chad, Ochem with chad the following week, and QR the week after. While reviewing everything every week? As time progresses?

I have a solid month and a half and I'm genuinely confused. Its my first time taking the DAT and i don't apply till the next cycle but since I had time I figured i might as well try my hardest.

Members don't see this ad.

I did everything in parallel. The issue with splitting up like you mentioned is that the big gaps in subjects mean you'll likely start forgetting things. In the system you described, you'd study Biology for a week...and then not see it again for an entire month. That's going to be terrible for retention IMO. Studying multiple subjects every day is kind of hard, but I personally think it's necessary.

Hi everyone, I just had a simple question on how to study. I tried following Ari's study guide but i don't really like the style and I feel like i studying multiple 4 things everyday is kind of hard.

In conclusion, I was wondering if anybody had studied by doing a whole week of reading Cliffs and making notecards, then another week for Gen chem with Chad, Ochem with chad the following week, and QR the week after. While reviewing everything every week? As time progresses?

I have a solid month and a half and I'm genuinely confused. Its my first time taking the DAT and i don't apply till the next cycle but since I had time I figured i might as well try my hardest.
Not all students are alike, one study guide will work for all students. In our classroom setting we do not jump around. We review Orgo, GenChem, Bio, QR and then tackle the whole Destroyer. That works for our students and we have been teaching many years.

Do what works for you.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

I used a similar style to what you are looking for. I reviewed the chemistry sections in about 1.5 weeks each separately with notes and all that. Whichever chemistry you do first, you must do a decent amount of practice questions during the time you review the other chemistry section in the next 1.5 weeks. You still have to do BIO everyday though, at least every other day. I alternated sessions of PAT and QR every other day or two days. I would say you can bang out the QR Chad videos in a couple days also. RC is something I was always good at so I used the time I should be studying this for something more important, like BIO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the same way about Ari's schedule. It is very overwhelming covering every topic in one day. So what I do is study chem and bio one day and then the next day I focus on math and PAT (and I read scientific American every night).

Here's an example of what I have been doing....

Monday: watch the entire chapter 1 videos for general chemistry (Mikes from bootcamp) and do all associated quizzes. And then I would move onto biology. And I would read ~2 chapters without taking notes and then go back and reread the two chapters, take notes, and do the end of chapter quizzes.
**Orgo is by far my strongest subject so I have been mainly focusing on gen chem... so if you are weaker in ochem you should start with the ochem videos instead

Tuesday: For math I just started doing problems from DAT destroyer. There are about 180 problems in total and I work through about 50-60 problems. After I complete 100 problems (which takes a few days) I go back and do them again but without looking at the solutions.
And then for PAT I choose two sections and just do the generator problems from bootcamp until I start to go cross eyed lol

Wednesday: Pick back up where I left off on chemistry/bio and just keep working through the videos/cliffs
And etc.....

I haven't taken the DAT yet but this schedule seems to be working for me. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I feel the same way about Ari's schedule. It is very overwhelming covering every topic in one day. So what I do is study chem and bio one day and then the next day I focus on math and PAT (and I read scientific American every night).

Here's an example of what I have been doing....

Monday: watch the entire chapter 1 videos for general chemistry (Mikes from bootcamp) and do all associated quizzes. And then I would move onto biology. And I would read ~2 chapters without taking notes and then go back and reread the two chapters, take notes, and do the end of chapter quizzes.
**Orgo is by far my strongest subject so I have been mainly focusing on gen chem... so if you are weaker in ochem you should start with the ochem videos instead

Tuesday: For math I just started doing problems from DAT destroyer. There are about 180 problems in total and I work through about 50-60 problems. After I complete 100 problems (which takes a few days) I go back and do them again but without looking at the solutions.
And then for PAT I choose two sections and just do the generator problems from bootcamp until I start to go cross eyed lol

Wednesday: Pick back up where I left off on chemistry/bio and just keep working through the videos/cliffs
And etc.....

I haven't taken the DAT yet but this schedule seems to be working for me. Hope this helps!
This is exactly what I started doing my man! Keep it up!

Like what others have said you gotta find a feel for what fits you! Like you I also do not prefer studying multiple topics once a day.

For me I focused heavily on one section rather than multiple at once. I began with preparing for Biology initially as it was my weakest subject. I spent approximately one week on this before moving on to any of the other sections. The following week after, I prepared for both GC and OC. As I have a strong background in both these sections, it was quick to master. Though I focused heavily on GC and OC, I still spent time reviewing through biology to ensure everything stays fresh within my mind. Also, for the PAT section I practiced that nearly almost everyday.

If studying a specific topic once a week works really well for you then just to make sure you don't forget anything previously, I suggest spending a day or so each week or several hours each day to review a bit of the previous subjects you have studied. By the time you finish everything, you should have a good feel of what you know and what you need to focus more on!

You can definitely achieve a good score if you put in work through the month and a half, I also studied that long! 7/12/2017 DAT Breakdown! 22AA/21TS/21PAT My DAT scores are also present in that thread too. I wish you goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user