How to support my fiance during intern year from long distance???

halpplz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNF,

I am new to this, but am in desperate need of insight for how I can be supportive to my fiance (or how he can help himself more) who just started his Internal Medicine Residency in California. I know there are a number of forums in regards to long distance relationships, but there's several facets to this one.

We have been together for 3 years and got engaged in February (getting married October 2012). I am currently still on the East Coast finishing my PhD in chemistry. Those of you on this forum don't need me to tell just how taxing, exhausting, and difficult intern year is. He is having a very difficult time adjusting because he doesn't have ANY family or friends there and has never been more than an hour from them, and now he's 3000 miles from them.

We talk on the phone and Skype everyday, but many of those "conversations" are him dictating or taking notes while I'm in lab working. After he is done he goes to bed to try and get the 4 or 5 hours of sleep before he has to get up again.

I am trying to stay positive and encourage him, but it seems that he needs more than that and this whole thing is tough on me too! Some days are better than others, but he is showing signs of depression and it has me worried. I have suggested a number of coping mechanisms, but the trouble seems to be finding the time to do any of it because he literally gets up, goes to work, comes back, dictates, and sleeps. I really think he should see a therapist (as I am) to learn how to cope with the distance, loneliness, and stress, but he doesn't feel it will help (and again the time thing).

The upsides are that he has made strides in making friends with other fellow interns and has been out with them a few times, although the schedule really limits their ability to hang out. He has received some amazing reviews from his upper levels, including the program director. Also, I feel fortunate that we trust each other wholly and infidelity is NOT a concern whatsoever on either end.

I'm really reaching out to fellow interns or residents that have been through intern year (but welcome suggestions from ALL) to know if there's some way to work in time for himself. The further down he falls the more helpless I feel and the less I am able to function here. I fear we are on a downward spiral until I finish my thesis (hopefully December) and get out there. I know it's only a few months, but it's a long time when each additional day feels like a year. I have reached out to many family and friends and don't know where else to turn. Is there anything I can do as the fiancee?? I hope some of you out there that have experienced and been through it can help shed some light on our situation.

I greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It 's tough, you guys can try to get sometimes and see each other... though this is hard, aside from that, keep giving him encouragement and let him know how lucky he is to have you, a supportive fiancee.

In addition to talking, I really like writing letters. Done so during all my LDRs. This may sound trite, but it's so nice to see letters in your mailbox, even if you are talking to said person everyday. Plus, you can keep them around and read them whenever you feel like it. Too tired to talk? Read the old letters and smile. Writing isn't really done anymore, and I always found it more heartfelt that email.

Therapy may also be an option if he truly seems depressed - however, finding the time for it on his end may be hard, like he said. This may just be me on my high horse, but I've seen a lot of interns/residents go to hell their first year or two simply due to stress and poor nutrition, the latter of which can have a HUGE impact on your mood. Has he been able to stay physically healthy?

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to talking, I really like writing letters. Done so during all my LDRs. This may sound trite, but it's so nice to see letters in your mailbox, even if you are talking to said person everyday. Plus, you can keep them around and read them whenever you feel like it. Too tired to talk? Read the old letters and smile. Writing isn't really done anymore, and I always found it more heartfelt that email.

Therapy may also be an option if he truly seems depressed - however, finding the time for it on his end may be hard, like he said. This may just be me on my high horse, but I've seen a lot of interns/residents go to hell their first year or two simply due to stress and poor nutrition, the latter of which can have a HUGE impact on your mood. Has he been able to stay physically healthy?

:thumbdown:

Sometimes, you just have to put your head down, work hard, and survive. My husband was an intern two years ago and I finally had to admit that I couldn't cure what ailed him. The situation he was in was lousy and there was no getting around it. That's the basic fact on the ground for a lot of interns. Try not to get down on you or him, have a calendar you can cross the days off, and don't make any big decisions based on his bahavior this year.

Get a Skype account.

my fiance is in oncology, in texas, and i am in upstate ny.

she's been there almost 2 years, and is looking at another year.

we've kept things alive by daily conversations, which we both look forward to. also, we text a lot, just fun things here and there.

it seems like the little jokes, looking forward to talking and looking forward to trips to see each other really keeps us going.

also, whenever i call her, or she calls me, we both pick up -- regardless -- even if it's to say we'll call the other back.

also, she calls me from the bathroom stall, or the stairwell at times, just to talk for a minute or two.

the future is not too far off -- but far off enough to make things frustrating.

on my end, i have gone to rowing 1/2 marathons daily, improving my diet by juicing, etc. to fight off the more depressing "hope is lost" thoughts --

-- just my thoughts -- :)

I would suggest something similar: make cookies and send :) or something belongs to you, even an underwear, something sexy ;) I dont mean a fetish, but something that will shake him for a moment (positively), or create an emotional moment.. a strong stimulus from you for a moment that will get his head up, see you, and feel good :)

I would suggest something similar: make cookies and send :) or something belongs to you, even an underwear, something sexy ;) I dont mean a fetish, but something that will shake him for a moment (positively), or create an emotional moment.. a strong stimulus from you for a moment that will get his head up, see you, and feel good :)

I'm surprised this thread has gone on so long without the mention of good old fashion phone sex or webcam sex. I mean, come on cookies? Yeah, that's what any guy wants at the end of a long day...to sit down in his underwear and eat cookies while trying to figure out what the hell he's supposed to with the wife's underwear. wear it? give it to the hot co-worker? mail his socks to the wife? or what? Its those stupid mind games women play that make LDR's hard and make men get depressed. :confused:

I'm surprised this thread has gone on so long without the mention of good old fashion phone sex or webcam sex. I mean, come on cookies? Yeah, that's what any guy wants at the end of a long day...to sit down in his underwear and eat cookies while trying to figure out what the hell he's supposed to with the wife's underwear. wear it? give it to the hot co-worker? mail his socks to the wife? or what? Its those stupid mind games women play that make LDR's hard and make men get depressed. :confused:

Hahahaha :laugh: Thats sweet.. of course they can make sex that way, but c'mon, isnt it something so regular, even banal? Besides, he is running behing time, how will he find time for sex on the phone or before webcam? Forget it!

My point was to address his heart. Because of being home-sick and far from his family he is getting in depression, so he needs such details. The main problem is not hormones, its his soul left empty by the lack of his beloved ones.