How to turn down HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koruca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got accepted to my in-state M.D. school. I also have been selected to receive the Navy HPSP scholarship.

Especially since I am now able to attend my in-state school, my wife can keep her job, etc... I don't see the sense in making a commitment to HPSP.

At what point was/am I committed to taking it? I definitely haven't sworn an oath or anything--the last update I had from my recruiter was that I was selected, but I haven't done anything to further the process since then. Is there any reason I might not be thinking of that may screw me over if I tell my recruiter I don't want it?

Also, what's good etiquette for tuning it down? I was thinking of simply sending him a nice email (he's been a really good guy through the whole process) so I don't want to come off as an ass.

Thanks guys for talking some sense into me through these forums. My in-state school is $35k/yr and I don't want to make a commitment to something 4+ years down the road when I don't even know what my life will be like/what I will want at that point in time, when I don't have to. Am I being sane here or am I giving up a great opportunity...?

Thanks guys for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
it's a big commitment so be sure if you proceed but from what you seem to be saying you aren't actually committed yet, so an email would be sufficient. If the recruiter is close by, I would probably give them the courtesy of a face-to-face but you don't owe anyone anything.

Hi all,

I recently got accepted to my in-state M.D. school. I also have been selected to receive the Navy HPSP scholarship.

Especially since I am now able to attend my in-state school, my wife can keep her job, etc... I don't see the sense in making a commitment to HPSP.

At what point was/am I committed to taking it? I definitely haven't sworn an oath or anything--the last update I had from my recruiter was that I was selected, but I haven't done anything to further the process since then. Is there any reason I might not be thinking of that may screw me over if I tell my recruiter I don't want it?

Also, what's good etiquette for tuning it down? I was thinking of simply sending him a nice email (he's been a really good guy through the whole process) so I don't want to come off as an ass.

Thanks guys for talking some sense into me through these forums. My in-state school is $35k/yr and I don't want to make a commitment to something 4+ years down the road when I don't even know what my life will be like/what I will want at that point in time, when I don't have to. Am I being sane here or am I giving up a great opportunity...?

Thanks guys for any insight.
Just tell the recruiter you don't want it anymore, you're not committed in anyway

Don't worry about etiquette, just send an email so that you have it in writing

Members don't see this ad :)
If the recruiter was good and helpful and you were at the end of the process...I would at least give them a call. If you are just getting started with the process...an email would suffice. I don't think that a face to face would be necessary. It's not like you are breaking up with the guy/gal.