How to update AMCAS application with new activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adocinthemaking123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

So I am currently taking a year off while applying. During this time I plan on working and volunteering. How would I go about updating my AMCAS application to let medical schools know what I am doing for my year off? Is there a way to do this? or do I just have to wait till the interviews to update them?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can't update the activities after you have submitted. You can send update emails to all the schools you applied to, or wait until the interviews.

Do check the school's website before sending them update emails though. Some schools specifically state they don't want any; I can think of no better way to get your application sent to the circular file stat than by failing to listen to and follow directions. That was something we (hopefully) picked up back in kindergarten.

Reactions: 1 users
During your year off, I assume you mean this year right?
Some schools will take an update letter, but if it's not anything super significant I wouldn't bother with updating them. I'd do things like a new pub or new job, but not "I shadowed for 5 more hours!"