How to use MCAT to compile school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mainer7890

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been consistently scoring a 507 on my practice exams. Would my target schools have an average MCAT score of a 505-509 (e.g., +/- 2 points from my score)? Would any school >511 be a reach? Essentially, what's my range?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1. Get an MSAR subscription
Step 2. Look at the schools
Step 3. Take a note of median MCAT, 10th percentile MCAT and 90th percentile MCAT
Step 4. Compare to your score, and make your list.

Just as an example, the first medical school listed is Albany Medical School in Albany, NY.
Median MCAT: 511
10th percentile: 506
25th percentle: 509
75th percentile: 513
90th percentile: 517

Median total GPA: 3.68
10th percentile: 3.33
25th percentle: 3.52
75th percentile: 3.84
90th percentile: 3.95

If you get a 507, you can see that it will put you very close to 10th percentile for the school. Sounds like a reach to me, but depending on your application it might be, i.e. 4.0 student who started a non-profit and served in the military would likely easily get in with a 507, but a 3.5 student who checked all the boxes but doesn't have an interesting story/unicorn quality likely won't get an interview invite.

Put in the work, and you'll be rewarded. Good luck.

For most schools you want to be at least 25 percentile. But make sure you got plenty where you are in the 50 percentile. Anything under 25 percentile you need to have a connection to the school or really fit their mission.