How to write an update to schools about a new publication?

Jul 20, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

Last week I published an article in a low/medium impact journal that I am the second author on. I want to update schools with this information, but am unsure how to approach it. Would I attach the PDF directly, or would I write a summary of the paper in my own words + information on why the project was important to me?

Conversely, should I avoid being wordy and just attach an abstract with a brief line saying something like, "I am happy to report that X Article has been published in Y Journal".

Thank you for your help!

Reactions: 1 user

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Last week I published an article in a low/medium impact journal that I am the second author on. I want to update schools with this information, but am unsure how to approach it. Would I attach the PDF directly, or would I write a summary of the paper in my own words + information on why the project was important to me?

Conversely, should I avoid being wordy and just attach an abstract with a brief line saying something like, "I am happy to report that X Article has been published in Y Journal".
It is preferred that you would be succinct. For the vast majority of schools, a full citation would be adequate. Do not attach an abstract or full article unless the school's website (or other reliable information) states that including them would be acceptable.

And congratulations!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Gold Donor
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
Echoing what has already been said, definitely try to keep it short and to the point. Don't make the adcom read anything that's unnecessary.

Congrats on the publication! I don't remember the exact statistic, but it was something like 10% of medical school applicants have any form of research production such as a publication, presentation, etc. This is definitely something that will help move the needle in your favor.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads