How to write an update to schools about a new publication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrandNewDanimal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Last week I published an article in a low/medium impact journal that I am the second author on. I want to update schools with this information, but am unsure how to approach it. Would I attach the PDF directly, or would I write a summary of the paper in my own words + information on why the project was important to me?

Conversely, should I avoid being wordy and just attach an abstract with a brief line saying something like, "I am happy to report that X Article has been published in Y Journal".

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Last week I published an article in a low/medium impact journal that I am the second author on. I want to update schools with this information, but am unsure how to approach it. Would I attach the PDF directly, or would I write a summary of the paper in my own words + information on why the project was important to me?

Conversely, should I avoid being wordy and just attach an abstract with a brief line saying something like, "I am happy to report that X Article has been published in Y Journal".
It is preferred that you would be succinct. For the vast majority of schools, a full citation would be adequate. Do not attach an abstract or full article unless the school's website (or other reliable information) states that including them would be acceptable.

And congratulations!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Echoing what has already been said, definitely try to keep it short and to the point. Don't make the adcom read anything that's unnecessary.

Congrats on the publication! I don't remember the exact statistic, but it was something like 10% of medical school applicants have any form of research production such as a publication, presentation, etc. This is definitely something that will help move the needle in your favor.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users