How useful is Step 2 in making up for a poor Step 1 score.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted89854

I'm curious as to how much redemption one can receive by rocking the Step 2 exam to make up for a Step 1 in the neighborhood of say 200. I have a friend with two years of research in neuro and neurosurg at MGH and Cornell, respectively. However, she simply had a bad step 1 exam. How much benefit is there to getting a score in the 240+ range on the step 2? Do people care? Is it even worth it? Beuller?

Members don't see this ad.

The average step 1 for matched applicants this year is 234. For unmatched applicants it's 209. There are no stats available for step 2 scores. I'm guessing it would help, but she really needs to find an advisor in the neurosurgery dept. and ask someone who knows. Most of the people who frequent this board are students and residents, who generally don't participate in screening residency apps.

Of course it's worth it to score well on Step 2 but it will be an uphill battle with a Step 1 score of 200. That is well below the national average of 217. But, she'll never know if she doesn't apply.