How/When do adcoms really use letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted849476

I ask because from what I know, most secondaries are basically sent to applicants who meet an objective, algorithmic threshold (like 3.5GPA & 505 MCAT). In other words, I think there's no way that adcoms are reading 3-7 letters for any one applicant just to consider them for a secondary.

If I'm right, then do adcoms use letters to decide whether or not to interview or more so as a supplement to the interview and more for consideration of acceptance?

I would imagine they might gloss over the letters prior to interview but think about them more deeply or use them to break ties when they're deciding to accept someone or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Letters are generally not needed for you to receive a secondary. They are required for you to be marked complete at a school, after you submit your secondary, for interview consideration.

basically LOR are considered for interview invites, but based off of an AAMC document, they become more important when deciding whether to accept an applicant, post interview.

Reactions: 1 user
How/When do adcoms really use letters of rec?

I ask because from what I know, most secondaries are basically sent to applicants who meet an objective, algorithmic threshold (like 3.5GPA & 505 MCAT). In other words, I think there's no way that adcoms are reading 3-7 letters for any one applicant just to consider them for a secondary.
Most Secondaries are sent automatically, without application review. Some are sent after you meet automatic computer cutoffs for stats, location, etc. You are right that LORs don't come into play prior to sending Secondary invitations.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are right that LORs don't come into play prior to sending Secondary invitations.
Will schools typically wait until after secondaries are reviewed to review the primary application and letters alongside?

Will schools typically wait until after secondaries are reviewed to review the primary application and letters alongside?
Every school has its own method, so it isn't possible to answer with a generalization.

For example: One adcomm member of this site is with a school that doesn't read LORs until after the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Every school has its own method, so it isn't possible to answer with a generalization.

For example: One adcomm member of this site is with a school that doesn't read LORs until after the interview.
I suppose that makes sense based on the different priorities of the schools. It’s inconvenient as an applicant to not have a standardized system of evaluation, however medical school application is definitely not a buyer’s market...