How/ why did you decide you wanted to go into dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rusky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but I am a noob and didn't find it doing a fast search, plus new perspective would be cool too. I am contemplating of going into dentistry but I can't just say " I like to help people" or " I want everyone to have perfect teeth"..

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but I am a noob and didn't find it doing a fast search, plus new perspective would be cool too. I am contemplating of going into dentistry but I can't just say " I like to help people" or " I want everyone to have perfect teeth"..

I was macking with a really cute blonde who had great teeth and then I realized...:idea:

i've always enjoyed hurting people, particularly children so I figured why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone hates me. Everyone hates dentist. I figure, lets make it is easy for people.

My sentiments exactly.

I appreciate your joking but I am a bit serious here.

and we aren't?

MONEY and Lifestyle. (u don't have to be on CALL)

I decided dentistry is for me when I seen a picture of Nelly and checked out his GRILLZ and i was like DAMN! If i could become a dentist, maybe I could make me a set.

This is a hard question to answer, because to some extent we all answer the same.

I guarentee you won't find a person in here (whether they admit it or not) that isn't motivated by the following things:
1. A desire to help people
2. Lifestyle
3. Money/Autonomy
(4.) Working with your hands/artistic creative side

What you have to do is find out what really makes you want to do dentistry, and elaborate on it. If it's what you outlined in your post, don't be afraid to be honest.

Do a search, this comes up every other day. In fact you don't have to do that, just go a couple of pages back and you can find several.

I asked a bunch of anonymous strangers how they felt about dentistry. My talents, family and carear goals did not play a role, what so ever.

If you have to ask........ Well I don't know.

I knew I wanted to go somewhere in the medical field, I saw the girls in the hygiene program, saw the girls in the nursing program and I went with dentistry. Of course I didn't tell my wife this.

In all seriousness why is the game Donkey Kong named as such, It's about a gorilla for gosh sakes.

img0.jpg

This is why I went into dentistry.
img0.jpg

img0.jpg

This is why I went into dentistry.
img0.jpg

Looks like #9 has a small surface chip on the incisal edge. Other than that everything looks ok to me :idea: :laugh: .

To the OP...I decided dentistry because I have a family member in it which initially exposed me to the field, then I started to shadow and dental assist and loved it. Add a little "interest in the medical field" and "want to work with my hands" and the decision seems pretty simple.

Like I'm sure somebody has already said in this thread, you have to find your own reasons...whats the point of saying "well everyone else did it because they want to help people, so thats why I want to do it?" That doesn't help you or the interviewers. Seeing that it is a CAREER choice, I would think one would want to know why oneself truly does choose dentistry (or whatever field).