How worthwhile is it to establish a club when I am about to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzzcor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medschool this cycle and I am trying to establish a club that I think will be beneficial for my college. However I almost finished the school and the best I will do is to gather students that I know, find a club, and start to set up what to do and how to contact professors and what not.

It's not because I want to put on my apps since I know I will be starting it now and won't be a good experience but I think it's will be worthwhile for me overall.
Would it be looked as a filler for ECs or last minute make up call or would it be considered favorably?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not because I want to put on my apps since I know I will be starting it now and won't be a good experience but I think it's will be worthwhile for me overall.
Would it be looked as a filler for ECs or last minute make up call or would it be considered favorably?

what????

Simply, it's what you make of the experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to establish a club. So establish a club! Sometimes, all you can do is sow the seeds. Talk it up. Pass around some flyers. Reserve a meeting space. Have fun. Who cares how it does or doesn't look on an application?

In the game of medical school applications, there are very few absolutes. With almost anything, you'll find people telling you it's good, and others telling you it's bad. In other words: no matter what you do, it's going to be the wrong thing. I decided a long time ago that I'd spend my time doing the things I like doing. If it's going to be "wrong" anyway, I might as well have a good time doing it.

I spent the weekend innoculating a homemade/backyard bioreactor I've been working on with nitrogen-fixing germs. I'm on a mission to brew the baddest compost tea around. This has nothing to do with medical school, and admissions committee won't give to flips about it, and I probably should have spent the time studying for the MCAT.

But I had lots of fun piddling with that sucker. ;)

Life's short. Spend your time the way you want to spend it.

If you enjoy doing it then I don't see why not. List it if you like. It doesn't hurt. Might come to play if you have to reapply.

You want to establish a club. So establish a club! Sometimes, all you can do is sow the seeds. Talk it up. Pass around some flyers. Reserve a meeting space. Have fun. Who cares how it does or doesn't look on an application?

In the game of medical school applications, there are very few absolutes. With almost anything, you'll find people telling you it's good, and others telling you it's bad. In other words: no matter what you do, it's going to be the wrong thing. I decided a long time ago that I'd spend my time doing the things I like doing. If it's going to be "wrong" anyway, I might as well have a good time doing it.

I spent the weekend innoculating a homemade/backyard bioreactor I've been working on with nitrogen-fixing germs. I'm on a mission to brew the baddest compost tea around. This has nothing to do with medical school, and admissions committee won't give to flips about it, and I probably should have spent the time studying for the MCAT.

But I had lots of fun piddling with that sucker. ;)

Life's short. Spend your time the way you want to spend it.

Haha this is awesome I love it this advice. Great post :)

Follow this person's advice. If this club is worthwhile to you then do it!