How would you answer...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

box29

Keep on keepin' on Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how one would answer the following questions in an interview:

Why did you get "x" on the verbal section (when you did well on the BS, PS, and WS)?

Why do interviewers at AZCOM ask:

If you were to be kitchen appliance what would you be?
Which three people would you invite to dinner and why?

I know there is no right or wrong answer and I guess one thing would be better than the other but it's all relative.:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Dont know about the rest, but I was asked the same ? about my verbal section by Western...they actually asked me if I had time to finish it (yikes) I told them I did, but still felt rushed. I told them my score was most likely lower b/c it was the first section, and I may have been nervous. I did well on the PS and BS so I told them that unfortunately, I used VR to warm up. They must have been satisfied, b/c they accepted me. Also, since my VR was low, I made sure that my essays were amazing. I spent a long time with them, and I am sure this helped me in the long run. Good luck

SoCal,

If you don't mind my asking, what did you get in Verbal?

I took the MCAT twice and got an 8 the first time, and 7 the second time. Verbal sucks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the kitchen appliance and dinner questions are to get at some things that are done at CCOM also. They want to see how you think things through.

You're right, there is no right answer. Instead of which answer you chose, they want to see why you chose an answer. They are looking at your logical thinking.

I also think they want to see how you reply when they throw you a curveball. It's about being able to think on your feet and come up with a decent reason to back up what you say.

I got asked the AZCOM infamous "most influential American in the last fifty years" question. I thought I blew it because the person I said was NOT a popular answer (should have said Bill Gates or someone, but went BRAINDEAD!) but I pull some reasons out of rear. Apparently they didn't think it was as bad as I did... cause they accepted me.

Originally posted by box29

Why do interviewers at AZCOM ask:

If you were to be kitchen appliance what would you be?
Which three people would you invite to dinner and why?

When preparing for your interview, did you ever come up with a pre-planned answer to these questions? No? Exactly.

You can sit there and recite "Why do you want to be a doctor?", "What are your strengths?", "What was the most difficult thing in your life and how did you overcome it?"....

But you have to think on your feet. You need to be quick. You need to be able to take a pressure situation, like an interview, and deal with it. You need to show some cognitive ability other than reciting a pre-planned answer and making it look like you're really talking from the heart.

Have fun.

PS: I would be a microwave. I think I just give off that innards-warming vibe

:D