You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How would you distinguish a good interview from a bad one?
Started by hopeS.O.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
After a good one, you get accepted.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can't.
A skilled interviewer should leave every candidate feeling good about the interview.
A skilled interviewer should leave every candidate feeling good about the interview.
You can't trust an interviewer's reactions to you. I think it's a little sociopath-esque for interviewers to "fool" you into thinking you're developing a good rapport and making cogent arguments, but such is life.
I can easily tell when I'm being articulate, not articulate, making strong points, not making strong points, etc- and that gives me an idea of how I performed. Some people, however, really can't evaluate themselves- either they think they're saying all the wrong things or they're completely overestimating their interview skills. If you can learn to be an impartial observer, you can try to evaluate yourself. This is difficult to do, but not impossible. I trust my judgment in determining when I've done good, bad, or in between.
I can easily tell when I'm being articulate, not articulate, making strong points, not making strong points, etc- and that gives me an idea of how I performed. Some people, however, really can't evaluate themselves- either they think they're saying all the wrong things or they're completely overestimating their interview skills. If you can learn to be an impartial observer, you can try to evaluate yourself. This is difficult to do, but not impossible. I trust my judgment in determining when I've done good, bad, or in between.
Agreed. After a while they all seem horrible/worse regardless of how good or bad you felt at the moment.The more you analyze your interviews, the worst it seems.
H
HCHopeful
The only way to analyze how you did is to objectively think of your answers and how they came across.
Unfortunately, that's nearly impossible. So, good luck.
Unfortunately, that's nearly impossible. So, good luck.
When I read this, I thought I was in another @Monster_Cat thread. (no offense intended, just too much time on SDN 😳)
The more you analyze your interviews, the worst it seems.
I had a great interview and an awful one (and some in between) so far. If I walk away from the interview feeling like they know what I wanted them to know, I think it went well. If I walk away wondering what kind of impression I made, or wishing I could have elaborated on something about me that I'm proud of/thought was important they hear, then I don't think it was a good interview. It isn't necessarily a bad interview, but it's not what I would consider good.
I don't judge my interviews based on how they react to me, but whether or not I got to show who I am. Whether or not this is a good approach is debatable, as we still have some time before October 15th!
I don't judge my interviews based on how they react to me, but whether or not I got to show who I am. Whether or not this is a good approach is debatable, as we still have some time before October 15th!
There is such a thing as bombing an interview, yeah. XDI think you can tell when an interview went terribly. Its probably harder to tell if an interview went well
Even if you bombed/aced an interview, you still can't tell how it was presented to the committee and ultimately how it impacted your application.
See gonnif's anecdote above.
See gonnif's anecdote above.
There is such a thing as bombing an interview, yeah. XD
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a great interview and an awful one (and some in between) so far. If I walk away from the interview feeling like they know what I wanted them to know, I think it went well. If I walk away wondering what kind of impression I made, or wishing I could have elaborated on something about me that I'm proud of/thought was important they hear, then I don't think it was a good interview. It isn't necessarily a bad interview, but it's not what I would consider good.
I don't judge my interviews based on how they react to me, but whether or not I got to show who I am. Whether or not this is a good approach is debatable, as we still have some time before October 15th!
It's the only consolation really. I tell myself that if they didn't like "me" how I felt about myself/presented myself, then they probably aren't the right fit for me anyway. (BUT, that only applies if I felt that I was able to show them who I was and what was important to me and what I was passionate about)
Yup, and it can go the other way. You thought you interviewed strongly, but they reject you because you sounded disingenuous or rehearsed.Even if you bombed/aced an interview, you still can't tell how it was presented to the committee and ultimately how it impacted your application.
See gonnif's anecdote above.
Or, you were very likable, but there were concerns about your academics.
Yup, and it can go the other way. You thought you interviewed strongly, but they reject you because you sounded disingenuous or rehearsed.
D
deleted718115
I tend to think when I make it to the interview stage, my numbers are fine? Honestly I'd prefer that schools don't invite me if they are concerned about my academics. I'd hate to spend $$$$$$$ on interview trips to be rejected for academic reasons at the end...Or, you were very likable, but there were concerns about your academics.
It's hard to say. I've had an interview where I felt like I was doing a terrible job and then at the end the interviewer said "Well it was great talking to you, you did very well". I had an interview where I thought I was doing great but the interviewer looked so bored I though she was going to die. Lastly, I had an interview where I didn't even have a chance to speak because the interviewer just talked about himself the whole time.
Basically, who knows.
Basically, who knows.
Yeah, I don't think they would interview you if you didn't have a good chance of an acceptance. So if you had poor academics, I think it depends on how you presented yourself in the interview.I tend to think when I make it to the interview stage, my numbers are fine? Honestly I'd prefer that schools don't invite me if they are concerned about my academics. I'd hate to spend $$$$$$$ on interview trips to be rejected for academic reasons at the end...
"I learned to manage my time better" sounds better than "I learned to stop wasting time". . . At least in my opinion.
Sometimes people get IIs with borderline stats because they have something really interesting in their app and we want to see what they're like.
I tend to think when I make it to the interview stage, my numbers are fine? Honestly I'd prefer that schools don't invite me if they are concerned about my academics. I'd hate to spend $$$$$$$ on interview trips to be rejected for academic reasons at the end...
What if they send you off saying things like see you next year
Sometimes people get IIs with borderline stats because they have something really interesting in their app and we want to see what they're like.
I'm currently in a situation where this has to be the case. I have an interview at an OOS MD school next week, and my stats are laughably low for most DO programs, not to mention MD. I find myself in a situation where I don't want to optimistically go into the interview, but don't want to treat it like it isn't a big deal, either.
It is frustrating to think a school would offer an II that is time consuming and expensive, just to reject the applicant for subpar stats, regardless of how the interview went. End rant.
If you make no eye contact and give 1-3 word answers, it was probably a bad interview.
But there are times where we take chances on people. Our gut says "this person is worth taking a risk on".
So, do your best, speak from the heart, show your passion, and know what's in your app.
Good luck!
So, do your best, speak from the heart, show your passion, and know what's in your app.
Good luck!
I'm currently in a situation where this has to be the case. I have an interview at an OOS MD school next week, and my stats are laughably low for most DO programs, not to mention MD. I find myself in a situation where I don't want to optimistically go into the interview, but don't want to treat it like it isn't a big deal, either.
It is frustrating to think a school would offer an II that is time consuming and expensive, just to reject the applicant for subpar stats, regardless of how the interview went. End rant.
Most premeds have no clue how they interview. There will be no shortage of people who think they tanked interviews who did great, and vice versa. It's s skill, and you get much better with practice. Unfortunately most premeds go in with a "just don't screw up" mentality and come away thinking the interview was "good" if they didn't say anything stupid or had answers to all the interviewers questions. But in fact the interview can be better if it's more conversational and less of a stiff question answer session. The goal is to sell yourself, not just come across as not someone they need to weed out. But no, you'll be your own worst judge as to how well you interview. You can try practice interviewing on tape and getting an impartial critique if you are worried.
Even if you bombed/aced an interview, you still can't tell how it was presented to the committee and ultimately how it impacted your application.
See gonnif's anecdote above.
This.
This is why I say the Interview is the most biased part of the entire process. And yet you have to work so damn hard to get an interview in the first place.
What about those interviews where they just ask about your hobbies and your research? It felt relaxed almost to an extreme, to the point where I wasn't even asked "Why medicine." I did it take it upon myself to explain the significance of my research but it didn't feel like the questions I was asked really gave me an opportunity to sell myself.
yea I've had that happened, where we didn't even talk about the application much and it was 100% a conversation. it leaves you feeling like you did well until you realize you didn't exactly get to sell yourself.. idk if this is a negativeWhat about those interviews where they just ask about your hobbies and your research? It felt relaxed almost to an extreme, to the point where I wasn't even asked "Why medicine." I did it take it upon myself to explain the significance of my research but it didn't feel like the questions I was asked really gave me an opportunity to sell myself.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yea I've had that happened, where we didn't even talk about the application much and it was 100% a conversation. it leaves you feeling like you did well until you realize you didn't exactly get to sell yourself.. idk if this is a negative
It's weird because you feel like you didn't get to sell yourself but at the same time you can't just answer "Why Medicine" without being prompted haha
haha yea I tried to find an opening but whatever at least it was an interesting conversation
It's weird because you feel like you didn't get to sell yourself but at the same time you can't just answer "Why Medicine" without being prompted haha
Don't sell yourself.
Show them that you have interpersonal skills.
Express yourself clearly.
Show them that you have interpersonal skills.
Express yourself clearly.
Don't sell yourself.
Show them that you have interpersonal skills.
Express yourself clearly.
Except that if you do it right, that is part of selling yourself.
They don't seem to see this.Except that if you do it right, that is part of selling yourself.
They launch into sales pitch.
Painful.
yea I've had that happened, where we didn't even talk about the application much and it was 100% a conversation. it leaves you feeling like you did well until you realize you didn't exactly get to sell yourself.. idk if this is a negative
I like those types of interviews the best. I think 99% of applicants present a combination of "i love science" + "i want to help people" + some medicine related personal anecdote + "i want to lead" + "i also want to work on a team" as the basis of their "why medicine?" answer. It's a good thing to be able to articulate why you applied to medical school in the first place, but I really doubt if something truly unique is gleaned each time this question is asked during an interview. The way a conversation meanders, on the other hand, can be very informative. Sort of reminds of me of James' stream-of-consciousness theory. I learned a lot about myself (and the interviewer) just based on all the dips and turns of the conversation.
This type of typing.They don't seem to see this.
They launch into sales pitch.
Painful.
Is a gyngynism.
That we can add to the thread.
summary:
be so good at selling.
yourself that it doesn't sound like.
selling yourself.
😕
EDIT: to follow the gyngyn style guide
be so good at selling.
yourself that it doesn't sound like.
selling yourself.
😕
EDIT: to follow the gyngyn style guide
They don't seem to see this.
They launch into sales pitch.
Painful.
I'm picturing a late night shopping channel pitchThey don't seem to see this.
They launch into sales pitch.
Painful.
"Now how much would you pay? -- But wait, there's more!"
so you're saying we could have an entire conversation about something unrelated and that would be a plus? Would they have enough to say at the adcom meeting?
The interview summary often reads: "I felt like he was selling me a used car..."I'm picturing a late night shopping channel pitch
"Now how much would you pay? -- But wait, there's more!"
Agreed-- they should feel like they are getting a shiny NEW car, limited edition, or you are doing it wrong.The interview summary often reads: "I felt like he was selling me a used car..."
They would discuss your communication skills, interpersonal skills and ability to perform.so you're saying we could have an entire conversation about something unrelated and that would be a plus? Would they have enough to say at the adcom meeting?
The interview summary often reads: "I felt like he was selling me a used car..."
Jeez!
I couldn't imagine doing that in an interview. It just feels... wrong.
They shouldn't feel
Like you were trying to sell them a car.
But then when they walk out to the parking lot...
There is their new car.
Like you were trying to sell them a car.
But then when they walk out to the parking lot...
There is their new car.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...
so how about re-applicants?
certified pre-owned?
so how about re-applicants?
certified pre-owned?
Agreed-- they should feel like they are getting a shiny NEW car, limited edition, or you are doing it wrong.
Right. Anyone can talk the talk...They shouldn't feel
Like you were trying to sell them a car.
But then when they walk out to the parking lot...
There is their new car.
...
so how about re-applicants?
certified pre-owned?
They can't be pre-owned.
They were never previously purchased.
No. These are just salesmen who haven't closed a deal yet. But the car still needs to be new. And substantially improved from the prior years model....
so how about re-applicants?
certified pre-owned?
In these types of interviews I feel like you're still selling yourself because you're letting your personality shine through.What about those interviews where they just ask about your hobbies and your research? It felt relaxed almost to an extreme, to the point where I wasn't even asked "Why medicine." I did it take it upon myself to explain the significance of my research but it didn't feel like the questions I was asked really gave me an opportunity to sell myself.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 1K