How would you rank the New York City med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh em gee, you guys TOTALLY don't know what state I'm a resident of :whistle:

My personal ranking:
1. Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
2. Weill Cornell Medical College
3. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
4. New York University School of Medicine
5. Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University
6. Hofstra University North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
7. New York Medical College
8. Stony Brook University School of Medicine
9. SUNY Downstate College of Medicine

I'm mainly interested in #s 5-9. How do those schools rank amongst one another? I've heard pros/cons about so many of them, I'd like to hear your opinions too.

Members don't see this ad.

imo Stony Brook/SUNY Downstate are better than NYMC.

Would still sell my arm for entry into any of these schools.

Reactions: 6 users
I like your signature. A lot of those placed lower on your lists is heavily waited in preference of geographical location. Other than that, most people would probably agree with the rankings with perhaps moving a given program up or down a slot or two.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
imo Stony Brook/SUNY Downstate are better than NYMC.

Would still sell my arm for entry into any of these schools.
Why? I'm actually trying to find out the pros/cons of those 3 exact schools.

Hofstra is basically still being built, has no match list (first class is graduating this year, right?), sparse research opportunities, mandatory lecture attendance, and is tucked away in the parking lot of a bad undergraduate. Stonybrook has great facilities, good research, money, and boring patient population. Downstate has decent facilities, debt, great patient population, and better proximity to labs in NYC, though it requires lots of initiative to find projects. They're all in areas with almost nothing going on- at least Downstate has actual access to NYC and Brooklyn.

I know nothing about NYMC.

Reactions: 2 users
Hofstra is basically still being built, has no match list (first class is graduating this year, right?), sparse research opportunities, mandatory lecture attendance, and is tucked away in the parking lot of a bad undergraduate. Stonybrook has great facilities, good research, money, and boring patient population. Downstate has decent facilities, debt, great patient population, and better proximity to labs in NYC, though it requires lots of initiative to find projects. They're all in areas with almost nothing going on- at least Downstate has actual access to NYC and Brooklyn.

couldn't have said it better myself!

Uhm Einstein is super selective.

Reactions: 1 users
I am wondering the same... How competitive are downstate and einstein in relation to NYMC?

I interviewed at all three. I'd say Einstein > Downstate > NYMC, but I got into Downstate and waitlisted at NYMC. If your stats are in range for them, I'm sure it depends on fit/interview performance.

Why would you say Downstate is better than NYMC? I'd say NYMC > Downstate solely because NYMC is a private school whilst downstate is a SUNY, but i'm not sure if private/SUNY has anything to do with a medical school being good/not so good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you say Downstate is better than NYMC? I'd say NYMC > Downstate solely because NYMC is a private school whilst downstate is a SUNY, but i'm not sure if private/SUNY has anything to do with a medical school being good/not so good.
No way. I'll take my state as an example, UVA is a public school, the pearl of Virginia and of medical schools nation wide. VT Carilion is private, not as great, but still pretty nice!

And the situation is reversed.

Public/Private has no bearing really.

Is that why you ranked a new private school over two established public ones? o_O

Reactions: 3 users
Is that why you ranked a new private school over two established public ones? o_O
No, I went to a hofstra med open house and it was pretty flippin awesome actually, even with the yucky mandatory lectures. Also a few of my friends (upper-classmen) ended up going there and to SUNY Downstate and SUNY SB, and all in all my Hofstra friends seemed to like it the most!

No way. I'll take my state as an example, UVA is a public school, the pearl of Virginia and of medical schools nation wide. VT Carilion is private, not as great, but still pretty nice!

And the situation is reversed.

Public/Private has no bearing really.
That's a great example with the UVA btw. Thanks for the input :)

Biggest con for me about NYMC when I toured was that they didn't record lectures. Also because they had a larger class this year a lot of students (30-40) still had no preceptors set up to shadow with, and I interviewed at the end of December.

OK, I'll play.

Columbia = Weill Cornell = Mount Sinai = NYU > Albert Einstein = Stony Brook > SUNY Downstate College of Medicine = Hofstra > > > New York Medical College > TouroCOM > NYITCOM

Seriously, ask 10 pre-meds and you'll get 11 answers.

Would someone care to tally up LizzyM scores?

Reactions: 22 users

Even though hofstra is new and isn't really established yet I wouldn't count them out too quickly. I interviewed there and have a friend who is a current MS1 and there are a lot of positives abut the school (pretty innovative curriculum, cheap/nice local housing, becoming an EMT within the first month, etc). IMO hofstra is one of the best 'new med schools' and hopefully after this year they will fully establish themselves as a competitive NY school.

OK, I'll play.

Columbia = Weill Cornell = Mount Sinai = NYU > Albert Einstein = Stony Brook > SUNY Downstate College of Medicine = Hofstra > > > New York Medical College > TouroCOM > NYITCOM

Agree with this except I think Hofsta>Downstate simply because of the newer facilities (hofstra is finishing construction in doubling their medical school space)

Even though hofstra is new and isn't really established yet I wouldn't count them out too quickly. I interviewed there and have a friend who is a current MS1 and there are a lot of positives abut the school (pretty innovative curriculum, cheap/nice local housing, becoming an EMT within the first month, etc). IMO hofstra is one of the best 'new med schools' and hopefully after this year they will fully establish themselves as a competitive NY school.

Agree with this except I think Hofsta>Downstate simply because of the newer facilities (hofstra is finishing construction in doubling their medical school space)

Who really cares about newer facilities? Is that what you want out of a med school? I rotated through a hospital that got both Downstate and Hofstra students and let me tell you - the residents loved when they got Downstate students. They're hard workers and they're effective in a hospital setting. I'm sure Hofstra is going to do great when it's more established but you have to have your priorities straight, shiny classrooms don't really count for anything out in the real world, it's all about the clinical experience.

I don't really know or care about much having to do with the New York medical schools, but I would just like to say in reference to some of the discussion above, mandatory lectures would be awful, and reason enough for me to not go to medical school if I had any other acceptance.

You fools do realize that Hofstra med is co-owned by the largest hospital system in New York and the second largest non-profit hospital system in the country, right. You know -- the system with over 1500 GME spots with the hoghest salary in the country, covering nearly all the specialties and fellowships, with locations in Queens, Manhattan, Kings, Nassau, Suffolk, Staten Island and beyond. They literally are buying a new hospital a month and their volume and physician base crushes systems like NY Presby and NYU easy. You'd think your conception of reputation matters, but those Hofstra students already have access to a bajillion opportunities, that they are only beginning to tap into. Beware the sleeping giant, Hirohito.

You fools do realize that Hofstra med is co-owned by the largest hospital system in New York and the second largest non-profit hospital system in the country, right. You know -- the system with over 1500 GME spots with the hoghest salary in the country, covering nearly all the specialties and fellowships, with locations in Queens, Manhattan, Kings, Nassau, Suffolk, Staten Island and beyond. They literally are buying a new hospital a month and their volume and physician base crushes systems like NY Presby and NYU easy. You'd think your conception of reputation matters, but those Hofstra students already have access to a bajillion opportunities, that they are only beginning to tap into. Beware the sleeping giant, Hirohito.

I found this post hilarious because it was opened up by "you fools" . That is all.

Reactions: 7 users
I'll throw this in there, a swoll bro in my Biodiversity Lab Senior Year decided NOT to go to NYMC because their Gym wasn't up to par.

?????

Reactions: 10 users

Basically roughly agreed with your ranking. Hofstra is basically like the east coast Kaiser, it's good for money not necessarily top tier for academics.

Columbia > Cornell = Sinai > NYU = Einstein > Stony Brook > Downstate = NYMC = the upstate SUNYs > Hofstra > NYCOM/Touro

I'll have to point out, for what it's worth, that NYMC has a lower LizzyM score that the two upstate NY SUNYs, and much less research funding.

Basically roughly agreed with your ranking. Hofstra is basically like the east coast Kaiser, it's good for money not necessarily top tier for academics.

Columbia > Cornell = Sinai > NYU = Einstein > Stony Brook > Downstate = NYMC = the upstate SUNYs > Hofstra > NYCOM/Touro

OK, I'll play.

Lizzym scores:

Columbia (74) = Weill Cornell (75) = Mount Sinai (76) = NYU (75) > Albert Einstein (71) = Stony Brook (72) > SUNY Downstate College of Medicine (71) = Hofstra (70) > > > New York Medical College (68) > TouroCOM (66) > NYITCOM (64)

It's my personal and clearly ignorant opinion that those scores are a load of bs and do not have traction beyond the microcosm of SDN.

Reactions: 5 users
It's my personal and clearly ignorant opinion that those scores are a load of bs and do not have traction beyond the microcosm of SDN.

they do have traction beyond the 'microcosm of SDN'. It is a number based on MSAR's avg. GPA and MCAT of schools. Its pretty useful when evaluating one's own stats and deciding what school's are worth applying to, realistically.

they do have traction beyond the 'microcosm of SDN'. It is a number based on MSAR's avg. GPA and MCAT of schools. Its pretty useful when evaluating one's own stats and deciding what school's are worth applying to, realistically.
Sure but if you're using it to try and rank, say, Columbia and Cornell, you get 3.84/36 vs 3.85/36, which translates to 74 vs 75, even though there is no meaningful difference there. LizzyM score is not a valid methodology for ranking medical schools. It just gives you a ballpark estimation of your statistical competitiveness. Nothing more.

UCSF = Stanford = UCLA = UCSD
USC, UCI, and UCD are awesome too.

Wait, I think I'm in the wrong thread.
:whoa:

Lmao you have a long ways to go on school research if this is your thinking

l m a o

Sure but if you're using it to try and rank, say, Columbia and Cornell, you get 3.84/36 vs 3.85/36, which translates to 74 vs 75, even though there is no meaningful difference there. LizzyM score is not a valid methodology for ranking medical schools. It just gives you a ballpark estimation of your statistical competitiveness. Nothing more.
What formula are you using? 3.84/36 and 3.85/36 both end up with LizzyM of 74. I don't think you're supposed to round up just because it's 3.85

Who really cares about newer facilities? Is that what you want out of a med school? I rotated through a hospital that got both Downstate and Hofstra students and let me tell you - the residents loved when they got Downstate students. They're hard workers and they're effective in a hospital setting. I'm sure Hofstra is going to do great when it's more established but you have to have your priorities straight, shiny classrooms don't really count for anything out in the real world, it's all about the clinical experience.
+200

Everyone from NYC knows that the clinical training at Downstate is top-notch given its location in durrrrrrrty Brooklyn.

It's not ranked highly because it's not a research school. Premeds need to stop looking at rankings for state schools that don't mean jack ****

It would be fun to see the results of a revealed preference analysis, as in, when students are accepted at both Hofstra and Downstate, where do they go? Like the Parchment college rankings (which are based on bad data and super flawed, because my alma mater is way too low). The AAMC has all of the data to do this. Med schools know it for all of their applicants and use it to predict their yield. Neither wants to share the information with us, of course.

Okay, so it wouldn't be actually useful for applicants in making decisions. But at at least it would provide some context to those "POLL: Rochester or Einstein?" bias-a-thons.

Last edited:
Off topic:
Now Illinois, go !
1. Northwestern
2. U Chicago
(I only put NU above Pritzker because it's affiliated with the RIC and I'm interested in MSK medicine).
3. Rush (It has an awesome ortho program) & UIC
4. Loyola
5.SIU
6. RFU

Am I missing any?

On topic:
The few downstate grads I've met weren't too thrilled about their overall experience, but they were happy with their match.

RIC is building a badass new hospital. If you end up going there, you'll love the facilities. Northwestern is already a purple palace.

Jeeze, caffe, you've been surly lately.

I find the LizzyM scores to be a useful benchmark for advising, and they give a snapshot of the stats of school's median student.

Jeeze, caffe, you've been surly lately.

I find the LizzyM scores to be a useful benchmark for advising, and they give a snapshot of the stats of school's median student.

I did say I'm ignorant. I suppose I'll be surly and ignorant now. :D. Truth be told, I appreciate the idea of statistical probabilities and measured outlooks. However, I fear for pre-meds on the other spectrum, who live purely by the numbers. Guess I'll tone down the surl. Respect yo.

Exactly. lol

I was just helping gyngyn out with getting the lizzym scores for the schools he or she ranked

Why not make it more fun? Anyone care to rank the Texas and Florida schools? Figure we can get a nice ranking list all accumulated in one thread for all the pre-meds out there!

Why not make it more fun? Anyone care to rank the Texas and Florida schools? Figure we can get a nice ranking list all accumulated in one thread for all the pre-meds out there!
Let's not

Don't you have like hw to do