How would you rank the New York City med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I liked the part where you included schools that aren't even in new york city and forgot about schools that are actually in new york city

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've said this before in a "rank the Florida Medical schools" thread, but:
  1. Whichever one(s) lets you in
  2. The rest

I liked the part where you included schools that aren't even in new york city and forgot about schools that are actually in new york city
Which ones specifically? Hofstra and SBU aren't in NYC, you're right, but everyone considers them to be part of that geographic bracket. Now if I included SUNY Buffalo, I may have to pick up my 4th grade geography books.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which ones specifically? Hofstra and SBU aren't in NYC, you're right, but everyone considers them to be part of that geographic bracket. Now if I included SUNY Buffalo, I may have to pick up my 4th grade geography books.
Find me a New Yorker who considers any part of Long Island to be a part of the "geographic bracket" of New York City, and I will eat five Kleenex tissues and upload the video for proof.

Reactions: 9 users
Find me a New Yorker who considers any part of Long Island to be a part of the "geographic bracket" of New York City, and I will eat five Kleenex tissues and upload the video for proof.
LOL

and would it help you to know that I always take the score to one decimal point?

Reactions: 2 users
What about this part of Long Island?

Ybi0rS5.jpg

(Drops box of tissues on the pavement at @wowsers' feet, dashes away in fear)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Ybi0rS5.jpg

"the name 'Long Island' is often used to refer to only Nassau and Suffolk counties, as distinct from the counties lying within New York City proper."

Definitely 9/10 for effort, though.

Reactions: 1 users
"the name 'Long Island' is often used to refer to only Nassau and Suffolk counties, as distinct from the counties lying within New York City proper."

Definitely 9/10 for effort, though.
I'll take that generous score, old friend.

That definition is so ingrained to New Yorkers that I suspect that some are unaware of which island those boroughs are geographically on.

That definition is so ingrained to New Yorkers that I suspect that some are unaware of which island those boroughs are geographically on.
"I'm from Queens, an island off the coast of Manhattan."

New York medical college isn't in nyc either. And if you're talking about buffalo you should include Rochester upstate and Albany first

I've heard one try to claim that queens and brooklyn weren't on the same island as Nassau/Suffolk. Then again she also considered New Rochelle "upstate".

It's Manhattan and everything else. Unless you live in Williamsburg, Dumbo, LIC, Astoria. Then you're cool right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard one try to claim that queens and brooklyn weren't on the same island as Nassau/Suffolk. Then again she also considered New Rochelle "upstate".
Anything past the Bronx is upstate. Even Westchester

Reactions: 5 users
It's Manhattan and everything else. Unless you live in Williamsburg, Dumbo, LIC, Astoria. Then you're cool right?
Nice try. Since when was LIC cool? If they're cool, then the rest of Queens is cool. Psh

Atleast i have an idea sheesh, interesting i though NYMC was up there, still like it though went there this past year after being picked for "med student of the day" beautiful school, but the students seemed alil snobby idk

Being a native Long Islander, I can tell you with 100% veracity that people in NYC don't think of Brooklyn and Queens as being part of Long Island. Nassau and Suffolk counties are "out there", like Plattsburg is "out there'.

Ybi0rS5.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Being a native Long Islander, I can tell you with 100% veracity that people in NYC don't think of Brooklyn and Queens as being part of Long Island. Nassau and Suffolk counties are "out there", like Plattsburg is "out there'.
Oh, agreed.

I spent some time in New York and I loved the locals' sense of geography. Incredibly granular within the city, sometimes a bit vague outside it. People could always tell I wasn't from there. And I could tell who was from there by the blank look on their face when I mentioned the distant state where I grew up. Sometimes their nearest point of reference for my state was one that was so far away from mine it would require a connecting flight to get to.

Oh, agreed.

I spent some time in New York and I loved the locals' sense of geography. Incredibly granular within the city, sometimes a bit vague outside it. People could always tell I wasn't from there. And I could tell who was from there by the blank look on their face when I mentioned the distant state where I grew up. Sometimes their nearest point of reference for my state was one that was so far away from mine it would require a connecting flight to get to.
Guessing game time. Montana or one of the dakotas?

Nice try. Since when was LIC cool? If they're cool, then the rest of Queens is cool. Psh

Since the 7 train and the gleaming brand new condo buildings that look out on the east river. duhhh. too bad residents don't get paid enough to live in 2500/month studios and shizz.

Also, you're right. Queens blows. I can see why Vinny, E, Turtle, and Drama decided to leave.

OK, I'll play.

Columbia = Weill Cornell = Mount Sinai = NYU > Albert Einstein = Stony Brook > SUNY Downstate College of Medicine = Hofstra > > > New York Medical College > TouroCOM > NYITCOM

Seriously, ask 10 pre-meds and you'll get 11 answers.

Would someone care to tally up LizzyM scores?
Touro com over nyit? I disagree!

Columbia>Cornell=mount Sinai=nyu>Einstein>stonybrook>nymc>nyit>touro!!!!

Lizzym scores:

Columbia (74) = Weill Cornell (75) = Mount Sinai (76) = NYU (75) > Albert Einstein (71) = Stony Brook (72) > SUNY Downstate College of Medicine (71) = Hofstra (70) > > > New York Medical College (68) > TouroCOM (66) > NYITCOM (64)

Touro doesn't have a 3.6gpa I don't believe.

Hofstra is basically still being built, has no match list (first class is graduating this year, right?), sparse research opportunities, mandatory lecture attendance, and is tucked away in the parking lot of a bad undergraduate. Stonybrook has great facilities, good research, money, and boring patient population. Downstate has decent facilities, debt, great patient population, and better proximity to labs in NYC, though it requires lots of initiative to find projects. They're all in areas with almost nothing going on- at least Downstate has actual access to NYC and Brooklyn.

I know nothing about NYMC.

Hofstra undergraduate is OK. Don't have to be so harsh.

I like this game!

Now Illinois, go !

Off topic:

1. Northwestern
2. U Chicago
(I only put NU above Pritzker because it's affiliated with the RIC and I'm interested in MSK medicine).
3. Rush (It has an awesome ortho program) & UIC
4. Loyola
5.SIU
6. RFU

Am I missing any?

Agree with that list except i'd probably flip NW and UC.

How about Ohio schools!

1. Ohio State
2. Cincinnati
3. Case
4. Toledo
5. Wright State
6. NEOMED

Somewhat less excusable. Think Big Ten. That's as precise as I'll get. ;)

Minnesota.

Reactions: 3 users
Guys guys guys, I think we can all agree that...Westchester is upstate :p

New York medical college isn't in nyc either. And if you're talking about buffalo you should include Rochester upstate and Albany first
I think you're looking too much into the exact words I used, New York City. While you're correct NYMC also isn't, almost every pre-med on this thread would consider it to be in NYC. Its right on the outskirts of NYC.

Who said anything about Albany and U of R...?

Isn't Westchester in Canada? I heard its next to those waterfalls. I heard you can't take the the LIRR or the MTA out there.... so it's gotta be, right?

Since the 7 train and the gleaming brand new condo buildings that look out on the east river. duhhh. too bad residents don't get paid enough to live in 2500/month studios and shizz.

Also, you're right. Queens blows. I can see why Vinny, E, Turtle, and Drama decided to leave.
Did I say Queens blows? Be careful what you say about my hometown, now, you nutrabbit

I think you're looking too much into the exact words I used, New York City. While you're correct NYMC also isn't, almost every pre-med on this thread would consider it to be in NYC. Its right on the outskirts of NYC.

Who said anything about Albany and U of R...?
Nope, not NYC. "Almost every premed" here does not agree with you lol

Did I say Queens blows? Be careful what you say about my hometown, now, you nutrabbit

Guess you didn't. But I did. Queens blows. Except Astoria and LIC. Cuz I'd like to be a snobby Manhattancentric jerk.

Guess you didn't. But I did. Queens blows. Except Astoria and LIC. Cuz I'd like to be a snobby Manhattancentric jerk.
I'd like to be = I'm trying too hard to be

Probably. It's all about image and access in the city right? Excuse me, my jeans are not tight enough and my frames not wide enough for this trek down to BK.

looks more phallic to me...you a hand surgeon, i'm a uro i guess.

Look. If the MTA subway is walking distance from your home, you live in NYC. If you have to take the LIRR, ridiculous bus routes, or Metronorth--you're not from NYC. If you don't get NYC tap water, you're not NYC.

So the 5 boroughs = NYC (except maybe Staten Island), nothing else.

Umm you can def take metro out to NYMC, and its def not in Canada LOL its in the westchester NY area

Look. If the MTA subway is walking distance from your home, you live in NYC. If you have to take the LIRR, ridiculous bus routes, or Metronorth--you're not from NYC. If you don't get NYC tap water, you're not NYC.

So the 5 boroughs = NYC (except maybe Staten Island), nothing else.
Yup your are def accurate with this theres a difference between New York state and New York city!

Umm you can def take metro out to NYMC, and its def not in Canada LOL its in the westchester NY area

good luck getting the MTA subway to NYMC... it is a long walk from the end of the line.

You can take MetroNorth out there, I think. That's a commuter rail line, not a subway.

Reactions: 2 users
good luck getting the MTA subway to NYMC... it is a long walk from the end of the line.

You can take MetroNorth out there, I think. That's a commuter rail line, not a subway.
Yea i know that you can take a bus out there another student at my college that came to the "med student of the day" took one

According to user3, TouroNY would be LizzyM of 64.8, NYITCOM = 64.

I tried looking this up but I can't find it. I think touro average GPA is 3.3 MCAT=30 and nyit is 3.6 and MCAT = 28! So NYIT is higher Lizzym! Plus they seem to think there MCAT is going to be a 29 next year per interview day!

I'm getting my stats form the table @user3 was kind enough to compile and place in the Pre-DO forum.

Oh, @user3...thoughts?

I tried looking this up but I can't find it. I think touro average GPA is 3.3 MCAT=30 and nyit is 3.6 and MCAT = 28! So NYIT is higher LizzyM! Plus they seem to think there MCAT is going to be a 29 next year per interview day!

Yas. GCT Metro North Harlem Line -> White Plains or Valhalla stations.

Yas. GCT Metro North Harlem Line -> White Plains or Valhalla stations.

Oh god, that reminds me of the time I went to NY to interview for medical school. Dean Frantz, I still am bitter that you waitlisted me.

Hofstra undergraduate is OK. Don't have to be so harsh.

I did my postbacc there and have a sibling who went there- the price (both of the undergraduate and the surrounding area) is not worth the product. It seems like a place that parents send their kids to say that they went to private school and not a SUNY. =P

I'm half-joking. I know many bright people at Hofstra, but this weird boasting about being "the ivy league school of long island" and the constant radio/TV commercials make it an easy target.