How would you rank these two programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AardvarksRUs

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would rank program B over program A easily. I want to be happier, period. I've given up enough already; I want to live somewhere that's a good match for my interests. It wouldn't even be close for me.

But you want to start a family, and that throws everything upside down imo. How much closer is program A to your family than program B? Family = free childcare, and I don't know whether your SO is going to be working as well, but even if your SO is planning to be a stay at home mom/dad, even stay at home parents need breaks sometimes.

If you are sure you want to start a family in residency, I'd give up some personal happiness to be closer to free childcare.

Reactions: 1 users
I would rank program B over program A easily. I want to be happier, period. I've given up enough already; I want to live somewhere that's a good match for my interests. It wouldn't even be close for me.

But you want to start a family, and that throws everything upside down imo. How much closer is program A to your family than program B? Family = free childcare, and I don't know whether your SO is going to be working as well, but even if your SO is planning to be a stay at home mom/dad, even stay at home parents need breaks sometimes.

If you are sure you want to start a family in residency, I'd give up some personal happiness to be closer to free childcare.
Both are several hours away so I guess neither is that close. But that’s an important thought for sure. I appreciate your input!

Other things you might want to consider if planning to start a family during residency: parental leave policies, and that a small difference in salary might not seem that small if your partner will be working, because childcare is expensive. Also, do any of the programs you are considering have on-site childcare? And does your partner have any location preferences? These are things I would consider in your shoes.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.