How would you rate podiatry residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

de Ribas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read posts in this thread (link below) and many agree that IM is tough residency. I have seen pre-meds/pre-pods here say that they would rather become IM (w/o specialization).

1. How would you rate/place podiatry residency considering Peach Newport's tier list quote below?

I understand that there is call and such, but in that thread they discuss that for IM it is common to work 80 or more hours per week with average about 60+ hours per week over all 3 years of residency.

2. What would be approximate average over all 3 years for podiatry? (I get that it might vary from program to program, but still, approximate avearge)

IM residency is hell on earth...

Quote:

Dude how do you even go one week in medical school without finding this out? Even before starting med school I knew that IM was one of the worst, and SDN confirmed this for me literally every week.

Seems to me the *very* vague rank order of residency brutality is, based on firsthand accounts and SDN:

Murder tier (expect to realistically exceed 80 hours/week regularly):
1) general surgery, as the undisputed heavyweight champion of abuse
2) surgical subspecialities
3) internal medicine, nipping at the heals of surgery
4) OB/GYN

Tough tier: Neuro, EM, anesthesia, Rads, Peds

Moderate Tier: Psych, Path, RadOnc, PMR

Cush tier (9-5 common): Derm, FM

Members don't see this ad.

I hope one of the residents reply to your questions.

From talking to a few first-year interns it seems like the majority of Pod residents spend anywhere from 60-100 hours per week, depending on the workload. You can also expect to get the same treatments & everything else..from an attending just like they're talking about in the IM thread.

You can also read a bit more about it here: AMA: Podiatry resident

& How many hours does a typical podiatric resident work each week?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user