Howard Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks gmatt, I was just about to PM you! Let us know when ur at bat so we can throw in a few extra prayers ;) WOW....I got a chill with the future MD thing! :)

Thanks curious...maybe I'll see you soon!!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats UVABranch!!!!! OMG!!! congrats!!!!! i'm so happy for you!!!! you deserve it! your hard work paid off!! yay!!!!! good job!!

Congrats UVA!!! Im so happy for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm happy to hear that UVA, congrats!

thanks everyone!!! I just called HU to ask about the PARP program and foud out it starts May 19th!!! That's sooner than I thought! I need to give notice at my job, and find a new appartment bc my place is way, way too expensive to stay there during med school. So much so fast, but I'm exited :D I'm still pulling for the others waiting out there!!! ttyl

thanks everyone!!! I just called HU to ask about the PARP program and foud out it starts May 19th!!! That's sooner than I thought! I need to give notice at my job, and find a new appartment bc my place is way, way too expensive to stay there during med school. So much so fast, but I'm exited :D I'm still pulling for the others waiting out there!!! ttyl

Wow... its crazy that everything is starting so fast for you. Lol... good luck, you have some major lifestyle changes to make in just a few weeks. I'm happy for you though!

Doesn't PARP furnish housing (dorm) for the duration of the program? If they still do this, take your time and find a new place to live. When I was an instructor for PARP, housing, meals, and books/supplies were included in the program. All you had to do was show up and study hard. ;)

Doesn't PARP furnish housing (dorm) for the duration of the program? If they still do this, take your time and find a new place to live. When I was an instructor for PARP, housing, meals, and books/supplies were included in the program. All you had to do was show up and study hard. ;)
They do offer housing and books, but I have my dog with me and I already have an appartment in DC, so I need a less expensive one which is why I'll need to move :-\. I'm leaving my job as soon as I can (I get tuition benefits, so I probably have to wait until the end of the semester), but I'll use time off to find and secure a new place, and then move one weekend with the help of my friends in the area. Thank God for friends! Wait! We get our books and supplies (what does that include) by the semester by participating in this program???
NJB Are classes only M-F or everyday? They are sending the program info to me which I should have by Saturday but I'm just trying to plan things.

Thanks freelove, I know it all is about to be so different, but I can't wait! So excited to stop working :D

Does anyone know if there are still interviews being held at Howard, if there have been a lot of drops, etc? Any updates?

Congrats UVA, I've been reading your posts and am so happy for you!

Does anyone know if there are still interviews being held at Howard, if there have been a lot of drops, etc? Any updates?

Congrats UVA, I've been reading your posts and am so happy for you!

I'm not so sure if Howard is still giving out interviews. I talked to Ms. Walk recently and she said there should be class movement from now until May 20th. I'm on the alternate list, so I'm praying for more movement soon since Howard is my top choice. Good luck! :)

thanks Dr.poet!

All I have heard is that the class is full, but that movement will start to happen in the next week or two. I know HUCm is also supposed to send out their fin aid packages this week or next, so I'm sure people will be using that to make their decisions. G'luck to you alan and doctorpoet!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks Dr.poet!

All I have heard is that the class is full, but that movement will start to happen in the next week or two. I know HUCm is also supposed to send out their fin aid packages this week or next, so I'm sure people will be using that to make their decisions. G'luck to you alan and doctorpoet!

Thanks for the update UVabranch! I will be waiting anxiously for the news:)

Thanks so much, UVA. Let us know how your summer program goes, if you have a few moments.

wow, UVABranch, I'm so happy for you. congrats. It's all moving so fast

I got a scholarship from Howard! I had a hard decision to make and I'm feeling so blessed right now to be able to say I'm going to Howard! Good luck to everyone and I can't wait to see all my future classmates!

I got a scholarship from Howard! I had a hard decision to make and I'm feeling so blessed right now to be able to say I'm going to Howard! Good luck to everyone and I can't wait to see all my future classmates!

Congrats Curious lately! I guess HUCM is sending out financial letters. I hope to join you guys soon from the alternate list. Major kudos for getting scholarships from Howard :)!

CONGRATS! Looks like we'll be classmates after all. I know you wanted to go to HUCM, so having the $ is just icing on the cake. Congrats again (I hope I have your fortune in the fin aid area ;)).

I know you busted your tail for this one. Best of luck. I had hoped to be in DC with you guys but looks like imma be in sunny Arizona instead. Best of luck dear!!!!!:hardy:

Will Howard look past a 2.99 sci gpa ?? I know it's really on the low side.

congrats to everyone getting acceptances!! and good luck to those who are still waiting!

Last edited:
Thanks Alan I am rooting for you as well. Hopefully you'll get some good news this week. Keep the faith!

just withdrew from HUCOM, hope you get my place Alan, good luck

Hi guys:

I just got in....:):):):)....I'm so happy right now, I can't wait to meet everyone and start in July in DC. Praying and hoping, years of hard work have finally paid off...thank you all for your support! :D

Congrats alan06! Good to hear some movement. I guess I'm still on the bubble. I haven't heard much from HUCOM other than I am in a "wait and see" status. I am ready to go though. Man is this painful. I will feel like I can endure anything once this ordeal is over_whenever that may be. I am in it for however much it takes. Good luck to all!

congrats alan!!!!!! yay!!!

good luck gmatt! just hang in there.

Wow. Congrats Alan06.
I have been checking this topic just because i am very interested in Howard. I am applying for 2009, but even I felt a little excitement when reading about your acceptance.

Congratulations alan!!! See you soon!!!!

Hi guys:

I just got in....:):):):)....I'm so happy right now, I can't wait to meet everyone and start in July in DC. Praying and hoping, years of hard work have finally paid off...thank you all for your support! :D

CONGRATS alan!!! I guess you got DocI's spot! :) Let me know if you have questions about where to move etc. I'm actually looking now for a place for mid june/july.

gmatt, I was wondering where you've been? have you been in touch w/ Ms. Walk? I hope you get in. Try sending a LOI or something, can't hurt :). There will probably be lots of movement in the next few days so make sure you remind them of why you should be there. G'luck to all of those still waiting!

Thank you Curious, docI, labelfree, Uvabranch and all...I'm honor to join you; good luck gmatt ..:)

Thank you Curious, docI, labelfree, Uvabranch and all...I'm honor to join you; good luck gmatt ..:)

Hey Alan, where are you coming from? Do you know when you're moving to DC? I am from MD, but planning on moving a bit closer to campus this summer.

Thanks for the words of support everyone. It helps!:) UVAbranch, I have spoken with Ms. Walk and have stayed in touch so I think they know where I stand. We'll see. I have been busy trying to keep life moving nevertheless. I want to know something, anything soon so I can plan an awesome vacation:D.

Hey Alan, where are you coming from? Do you know when you're moving to DC? I am from MD, but planning on moving a bit closer to campus this summer.

Hi Curious,

I will be moving from California. I don't know the area much so if you could educate me more, that'd be great. I guess I will try to move to DC 2-3 weeks before orientation which is July 20th right?

orientation is July 16th (Wednesday). PM ur email address and I can send you the email's I've gotten so far.

Congratulations to everybody who got accepted to Howard! That is such a blessing. I have been praying everyday like a mad man that I will be able to join you guys next year. I am applying for class of 2013. I really want to go to Howard! But we shall see what happens in this next year. God bless yall!

Hey everyone. I finally got the good news. I GOT IN TODAY:hardy:!!!! I am so excited. My mind is racing a hundred miles a minute because….I start PARP on this Monday! So there goes my awesomely awesome vacation. I’ll pack for D.C. tomorrow and say my goodbyes to my family and friends in Georgia on Saturday. Wow. Guess I’ll see u there UVABranch. I’m speechless.

congrats!!!!!!! how exciting!!!!

enjoy parp gmatt and UVABranch!!!!!!

that's wonderful! congrats!

random question: what is PARP?

Congratulations, alan and gmatt! And to everyone else on this forum who is accepted.

I had my interview early last month, it was April 8 or 9. I'm not aware that there were more interviews after that. Yesterday (Thursday) my application was at committee. ("yesterday" because it's now after 1:30am on Friday...)

It is raining hard here in the DC area and I love to listen to the rain so much, it's very soothing tonight especially --

I wish the best for everyone still waiting.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaay gmatt:love::love::love::love::love::love:

congrats on your acceptance!!! I am sooo happy for you!!! do u have a place to stay in washington d.c.?? I was hoping you would be accepted!!!

Thanks, Dr. Poet, Alan, Labelfree_everyone:)! Much love here for sure.

Puchi,

PARP(Preliminary Academic Reinforcement Program), I think, offers a taste of first year med school for about 6 weeks before the regular Fall Semester. It might help someone like me who aced my core science pre-requisites but has no other upper level courses. I was a Poli Sci major years ago. I am sure there are all kinds of scenarios­_MCAT retakes, etc.. I know I will enjoy the headstart so to speak.

DancinRN,

Lol. I’m just chunkin’ the necessities in the SUV and showin’ up:D. I’ll deal with my Apt in GA after PARP. I will stay in student housing for PARP I guess. For the regular semester I will be looking for a nice place to stay.

GMATT!!! That's great!! I guess I'll be seeing you in a few days :) I'm in Phila now, but heading back to DC in a few hours because I have to work tonight and tomorrow (bartending)....fun for me right? lol. Wow, that's a lot, but we'll be in this PARP prog together I guess. Go figure :) I know what you mean about the vacay, but we'll have a two week break before orientation, and we still get to enjoy the 4th!

Like gmatt said, it's a pre-matric program, where we take anat, biochem, and immunology. There's study skills sessions, time management stuff, and in the past I think there was also clinical exposure. There's a test/quiz every other week, they offer dorms and they provide a stipend for the prog (paid out at the end). It's taught by faculty and those in c/o 2011 who earned honors in these courses (njbmd did this when she was at HUCM). They offer tutoring too (I think). From what I've heard in the past several years no one has had a problem completing the program, and more importantly it really gives the participants an advantage going into the first year because we are exposed to the hardest first year classes. I was told someone in parp from the 2nd or 3rd yr class is like #1 in their class. Not to mention we all get to bond early and start finding our way around the yard. :)

gmatt don't forget to join the FB group. There's about 65 of our classmates already on there! See you in a few days and travel safely!

PARP sounds really cool! reminds me of a similar program for another school. See now you will be ahead of the game! Good luck!

For those on the waitlist, please do not give up hope, I just got in this morning!!! I am so happy and I feel so lucky to have gotten in. I look forward to meeting some of you in the fall!