Hows everybody else handling moving away for D school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blake1e

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im officially moved in to the state my D school is in. Coming from all the way from the other side of the country.

So how is everybody else handling it? Im feeling great and excited, but at the same time a little sad. Some hard goodbyes to make. Its been especially hard on my parents (never seen them get this emotional), who stayed the week to help me move in to my new apartment and just left me to catch their flight back home.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Im officially moved in to the state my D school is in. Coming from all the way from the other side of the country.

So how is everybody else handling it? Im feeling great and excited, but at the same time a little sad. Some hard goodbyes to make. Its been especially hard on my parents (never seen them get this emotional), who stayed the week to help me move in to my new apartment and just left me to catch their flight back home.
R you coming to NYC from Cal.?

Not in D school yet, but I moved pretty far away for college after living in the same place my entire life. It's weird and sad to move, but once you get into a routine and meet new people that you like, it becomes easier. Make sure to call/Skype/text/email your parents a lot; they'll really appreciate it. They will also get used to not having you around, though. Everything gets easier in time :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not in D school yet, but I moved pretty far away for college after living in the same place my entire life. It's weird and sad to move, but once you get into a routine and meet new people that you like, it becomes easier. Make sure to call/Skype/text/email your parents a lot; they'll really appreciate it. They will also get used to not having you around, though. Everything gets easier in time :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
How do you bring everything with you from so far away? Do you uhaul everything or put it all on the airplane? I've never been on an airplane so idk lol

How do you bring everything with you from so far away? Do you uhaul everything or put it all on the airplane? I've never been on an airplane so idk lol
Im a minimalist so I just had and took the essentials. Basically clothes, shoes, some notebooks and some other essentials I took on the plane, I had 4 bags (2 big, 1 small, and a backpack). I bought whatever furniture I needed here.

Im a minimalist so I just had and took the essentials. Basically clothes, shoes, some notebooks and some other essentials I took on the plane, I had 4 bags (2 big, 1 small, and a backpack). I bought whatever furniture I needed here.

Ah I gotcha!
Btw, super random but your name reminds me of Blake Lively and I felt like I was talking to her while replying to you hahaha...

In college I lived in a furnished apartment with all electric/utilities/internet included so I only needed to bring my ass, my clothes, my books, my laptop and my printer to the place. Now that I'm getting ready to move into a different place for dschool, since it's an unfurnished apartment, I had to buy the bed, the sheets, the shower curtain, bath rug, a table, a chair, bar stools (to use as dining chairs with the counter instead of buying a dining table+chairs) for the first time. And I had to set up electric/utilities/internet separately and for the first time lol. It's been frigging hectic haha

Reactions: 1 users
I thought my wallet was empty after deposits.

I was wrong. NOW my wallet is empty.

Reactions: 7 users
Ah I gotcha!
Btw, super random but your name reminds me of Blake Lively and I felt like I was talking to her while replying to you hahaha...
lol nice
In college I lived in a furnished apartment with all electric/utilities/internet included so I only needed to bring my ass, my clothes, my books, my laptop and my printer to the place. Now that I'm getting ready to move into a different place for dschool, since it's an unfurnished apartment, I had to buy the bed, the sheets, the shower curtain, bath rug, a table, a chair, bar stools (to use as dining chairs with the counter instead of buying a dining table+chairs) for the first time. And I had to set up electric/utilities/internet separately and for the first time lol. It's been frigging hectic haha
Same here bro, pain in the keester setting up all that stuff. Smart idea about just using the kitchen counter instead of buying the dining table/chairs. So far I think Im gonna use my dining table+chair as my work space and later if I find it uncomfortable Ill get a real desk and comfy chair.
I thought my wallet was empty after deposits.

I was wrong. NOW my wallet is empty.
Im totally feeling you on that, though Im kinda living like a drifter what with the minimalism/cheapness hahah

Reactions: 1 user
The fun part is that I don't get my loans to live on until late August/early September. Paying the security deposit, July's rent, and August's rent, and possibly September's rent along with all the bills and furniture before I receive my loans has been stressful. Almost there though! Orientation starts tomorrow, and the last thing on my mind is another home across the country. How could I think of that with so much other stuff already on my mind? Lmao

The fun part is that I don't get my loans to live on until late August/early September. Paying the security deposit, July's rent, and August's rent, and possibly September's rent along with all the bills and furniture before I receive my loans has been stressful. Almost there though! Orientation starts tomorrow, and the last thing on my mind is another home across the country. How could I think of that with so much other stuff already on my mind? Lmao
Tomorrow morning as your getting ready for your orientation, your gonna be looking like your avatar.:)