Handling a lot of Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpdavidson99

Reaction score
This post is geared towards those who are anticipating a lot (10+) acceptances this Wednesday. From my due diligence, it looks like acceptance calls are typically made at specific times of the day; midnight, open/close of business, etc. For those of us with the “dilemma” of potentially getting a large influx of calls at these times and worried about answering them all, I have a few questions on how to strategically handle this. Should I be giving different schools different numbers (cell, home, parent’s cell, second cell?!) to lessen the likelihood that I will miss a call while simultaneously receiving an offer from another school? And with this I would obviously mix the numbers in a way where schools from similar regions/time zones have different numbers to avoid those similarly-timed calls. Please lmk if anyone has tried to use multiple numbers. Further, has anyone tried to triage managing calls by making a tiered list of schools? For instance, if I get to a point where calls are flooding in, do I just let a tier III school to go to voicemail to prevent missing a call from a tier I? Finally, even with these strategic measures in place, doing some quick back of the envelope math, I know inevitably I am going to miss a call. How do I go about trying to respond to a voicemail acceptance offer, and how does that affect potential standing for scholarships going forward?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fairly certain that if you you recieve a call you will be "accepted" regardless of whether you pick up or not, they will probably send you an email or something.

Reactions: 1 users
This post is geared towards those who are anticipating a lot (10+) acceptances this Wednesday. From my due diligence, it looks like acceptance calls are typically made at specific times of the day; midnight, open/close of business, etc. For those of us with the “dilemma” of potentially getting a large influx of calls at these times and worried about answering them all, I have a few questions on how to strategically handle this. Should I be giving different schools different numbers (cell, home, parent’s cell, second cell?!) to lessen the likelihood that I will miss a call while simultaneously receiving an offer from another school? And with this I would obviously mix the numbers in a way where schools from similar regions/time zones have different numbers to avoid those similarly-timed calls. Please lmk if anyone has tried to use multiple numbers. Further, has anyone tried to triage managing calls by making a tiered list of schools? For instance, if I get to a point where calls are flooding in, do I just let a tier III school to go to voicemail to prevent missing a call from a tier I? Finally, even with these strategic measures in place, doing some quick back of the envelope math, I know inevitably I am going to miss a call. How do I go about trying to respond to a voicemail acceptance offer, and how does that affect potential standing for scholarships going forward?
While I get that this is a legitimate post, slow your roll a bit there. Even if/when you get many more than one acceptance, they won't come all at once, and you'll be able to get the calls. Or they'll leave a message. It'll be fine either way. Try not to panic everyone else in the forum, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lol like others said, they aren't going to reject you if you dont pick up. They understand we have lives. Youre looking way too much into it.

Reactions: 1 user
You mean you don’t have a secretary to manage your incoming calls..? Yikes, good luck out there Wednesday

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
You mean you don’t have a secretary to manage your incoming calls..? Yikes, good luck out there Wednesday
Luckily my mother was able to take the day off from work on Wednesday to help. She is an executive assistant which has similar responsibilities to a secretary which should come in handy if I get overwhelmed. I do wish acceptances could be spread over a couple of days for different schools so people like myself wouldn't have to go through this juggling act on December 1st

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Not sure if this is a troll, but oh well.

Not everyone calls. Some only email. The odds that two will call at the exact same time are low. Those phone calls also only last like 30 seconds to a minute. As long as it takes them to say “congratulations you’re accepted, look forward to seeing you next fall. Look for an email in the coming days with more info .”

These aren’t interview length phone calls. They’re super short. If you don’t answer they’ll leave a message and you’ll likely just get an email with the other info and they may or may not call back later.

Tell your mom she doesn’t need to waste one of her days off to help answers calls

Reactions: 4 users
Relax.

Use one phone number. Make sure your greeting is professional. Put a "do not disturb" block on, and let them call you. You won't be rejected for not answering.

Put your email notifications on mute too.

Let us know if they leave messages regarding scholarships.

Luckily my mother was able to take the day off from work on Wednesday to help. She is an executive assistant which has similar responsibilities to a secretary which should come in handy if I get overwhelmed. I do wish acceptances could be spread over a couple of days for different schools so people like myself wouldn't have to go through this juggling act on December 1st
Joking tone intended: then you should have applied to medical schools. ;)

Calls will come in over the entire work day. The odds of you getting multiple calls at the same time are low. Take some diazepam in the morning and you should be good.

Relax.

Use one phone number. Make sure your greeting is professional. Put a "do not disturb" block on, and let them call you. You won't be rejected for not answering.

Put your email notifications on mute too.

Let us know if they leave messages regarding scholarships.
Thank you for the advice. Since you are an admissions advisor I have a specific question for you regarding scholarships. Is the best time to negotiate scholarships during this initial acceptance call? Should I let each school know at the time of acceptance how many schools I have already gotten into (and even potentially will get into) for them to "up" their offer or should I hold out longer in the process to begin this back and forth? Thank you in advance for your help

please have your executive assistant keep us updated throughout the day on all your acceptances and scholarship offers...

Reactions: 6 users
  1. The calls take less than a minute each. The odds of them all happening at one are low.
  2. Even if they do happen all at once, the school will just leave you a message or call you back. The school is not going to care, and you're not gonna lose your spot if you miss a call.
  3. In the event that you get a scholarship offer, I'd recommend against trying to bargain your offer during the initial call, for two reasons: A) Wait until you have all your scholarship offers before you try to bargain. You can use competing scholarship offers as leverage when bargaining. B) The person in the admissions office who is calling you may not be involved in financial aid or have the unilateral authority to change your offer.

780185E2-478B-4CBF-AAB7-107864F8C390.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
  1. The calls take less than a minute each. The odds of them all happening at one are low.
  2. Even if they do happen all at once, the school will just leave you a message or call you back. The school is not going to care, and you're not gonna lose your spot if you miss a call.
  3. In the event that you get a scholarship offer, I'd recommend against trying to bargain your offer during the initial call, for two reasons: A) Wait until you have all your scholarship offers before you try to bargain. You can use competing scholarship offers as leverage when bargaining. B) The person in the admissions office who is calling you may not be involved in financial aid or have the unilateral authority to change your offer.
In response to my response earlier:

I agree especially with #3. The point of Decision Day is to have offers get sent out. Give yourself time to let the dust settle and see what each scholarship means when it comes to Costs of Attendance. Also, this is not a job negotiation; usually you get what can be offered now, but realize you have at least a dozen or so people who probably should get a scholarship but haven't. So unlike a job negotiation, you have plenty of other people the school can turn to and give them money if you turn them down. The goal also is to give a lot of people scholarships, not just one person.

Would you please update us how the Decision Day went for you?)) how did you and your mom handle all those acceptances???

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14 users