How's my clinical experience for the 2011 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LebLlama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the start of this semester I had 0 hours of experience. ZILCH. I was working overtime and couldnt spare any time.

Ive really pushed it and after this past week I now have 10 hours hospice volunteer experience and 72 hours of experience shadowing doctors. Ive shadowed a urologist, pulmonologist, and primary care doctor. (Actually, the pulmonologist and primary care was the same doc, he does both)

I have a TON of experiences to share now. I kept a notebook on everything I've witness and diseases Ive encountered while shadowing. Including:

Cystoscopy
Broncoscopy
I now know how to read Xrays to determine if patients have nodules in their lungs.
Prostate cancer
Kidney stones
COPD
Emphazema
...and many others.

I should have over 100, possbily around 130 by the time I apply for 2011.

What do you think, is this enough? Im still not satisfied. Im currently trying to get a dermatologist and a gastroenterologist to shadow too. Also wanna up the hospice volunteering.

Im going to continue throughout this next year anyway, so I should rack up close to 1000 hours for the 2012 cycle if this one is a no go.

Members don't see this ad.

You should focus now on gaining clinical volunteer experience. More shadowing than you have now is really not that helpful. Most people have 150 hours of clinical experience so you might have already lost that game...

I could prolly get around 100 volunteering by mid july if I really push it. Might have to sacrifice a few things...

It's not the number of hours that matters. It's the length and quality of experience. Someone who volunteers for 50 hours over 2 years will be viewed more favorably than someone who crams 100 hours into 3 months. Don't worry about the hours and just devote a portion of your time each week to clinical volunteering. Volunteering is better than shadowing.