HPSP and computers.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adrift1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read through the handbook and it unfortunately seems pretty evident that computers are most definitely not reimbursable. Although, I have heard some people say that if it is included within the schools tuition that you get away with it and even others say that they were reimbursed after purchasing one.

I know my school does not include it in tuition but does require one of particular capabilities. I suppose my question is whether or not there is a way to get it paid for or do I just have to bite the bullet on this one? Also even though it is expressly stated as not being covered is it worth filing anyway. Lastly has anyone gone the route of leasing a computer and is 250 enough?

If you have the answers....thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I have read through the handbook and it unfortunately seems pretty evident that computers are most definitely not reimbursable. Although, I have heard some people say that if it is included within the schools tuition that you get away with it and even others say that they were reimbursed after purchasing one.

I know my school does not include it in tuition but does require one of particular capabilities. I suppose my question is whether or not there is a way to get it paid for or do I just have to bite the bullet on this one? Also even though it is expressly stated as not being covered is it worth filing anyway. Lastly has anyone gone the route of leasing a computer and is 250 enough?

I'm going to be a first year HPSP and am planning on filing for the reimbursement for the computer just to see if it will happen... I've been told by a few people that they have gotten it and I've been told by a few that they didn't get the reimbursement...so I guess it's a crapshoot. I would say go ahead and try...what are you out if you don't get it? a few hours of your time.

Army or Navy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Army or Navy?

Sir, it does not matter. All three Services meet every October to discuss the HPSP. Reimbursement is always discussed and fine tuned in order to assure that all three services pay the same amount for each item. The computer issue is a major topic each year and each year in the past there has been a decision/consensus that it is not a reimburseable item either on invoice or CDW.

BTW the Consultant in Dentistry for Army is invited to attend this meeting each year.

Last edited:
Does the Army provide reimbursement of a digital camera to be used for dental cases in clinic?

Thanks all!

Does the Army provide reimbursement of a digital camera to be used for dental cases in clinic?

Thanks all!

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.......but if I remember correctly from the handbook they will not reimburse any of these big item electronics, even if it is for school use. (computers, cameras, phones, microscopes and some other stuff)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.......but if I remember correctly from the handbook they will not reimburse any of these big item electronics, even if it is for school use. (computers, cameras, phones, microscopes and some other stuff)

Right. That's all in the handbook. It explicitly states that those items are not reimbursable. However, I have spoken with a couple of HPSP students who have told me that they somehow were able to get the Navy to reimburse them for their computers. Maybe it was just a mistake on the finance department's end.

Thanks all!

I read in the handbook that they reimburse up to $1500 for the digital camera. It is on the bottom of the price list for reimbursable tools.

Does anyone remember seeing a value limit to what HPSP reimburses for tools? In the old manual I could have sworn that they would only reimburse $9000 total for the first year, with limits decreasing as years progress. I don't think I saw a limit in the 2010 manual. It seems that they are just lisiting the limit that they will reimburse for each idividual item. I am concerned because the dental school I will be attending in the Fall estimates almost $15,000 for tools in the first year leaving me with a $6,000 difference if the limit is still indeed $9000.

Does anyone remember seeing a value limit to what HPSP reimburses for tools? In the old manual I could have sworn that they would only reimburse $9000 total for the first year, with limits decreasing as years progress. I don't think I saw a limit in the 2010 manual. It seems that they are just lisiting the limit that they will reimburse for each idividual item. I am concerned because the dental school I will be attending in the Fall estimates almost $15,000 for tools in the first year leaving me with a $6,000 difference if the limit is still indeed $9000.

I know the AF reimbursed more $14,000 for me last year, for my first year kit (but remember you have to have to money to pay up front and then file for the reimbursement).

If you click on the document link under Supplies and Equipment there is a breakdown of reimbursement amounts for each item depending on what program you are in (dentistry, optometry, etc.).

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/HSPSFAPBookandEquipmentReimbursment.aspx

Hope this helps!