HPSP and Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohopeful13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I plan on doing the HPSP - just awaiting my commission date. That said, I know funds can take a while to actually receive and sometimes don't even come until well after class has begun. My issue is that as I try to find housing, many complexes want to see some proof of income. Some will take student loans but you must send them a document showing my loans have been accepted. Should I just accept and submit the loan amount now and return it later when my HPSP comes through? Can I return the loans later? It's a weird situation to be in and I was wondering if anyone else has been in the same.

Members don't see this ad.

You can reutrn the loans by 4 months I believe, contact your schools financial aid for more individual advice tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I just accept and submit the loan amount now and return it later when my HPSP comes through? Can I return the loans later? It's a

If you have documentation of the stipend you'll be receiving with HPSP, that may suffice (it does some places, but not others). If not, accept the loans and show the amount to get the approval. If you receive the HPSP stuff before disbursement, but you change the amount to 0 and save yourself a little hassle.

If the above don't happen in time and you DO receive the funds, you have 120 days (so 4 months) to return the loans with 0 interest and 0 fees (i.e. if you take out $10k, 1k of which is fees, so you RECEIVE 9k, and acquire say $100 interest in those 4 months....... if you return ONLY the $9k that was INITIALLY RECEIVED, the $100 (per the example) of interest is FORGIVEN, and the $1k fee that you paid and never received is thus already accounted for internally/forgiven). Again - you only return WHAT YOU RECEIVED.

^^^^ with that said, I did this for 1 semester a few years ago, and I could not figure out how to do it online without it counting as a regular payment (thus I was still being charged interest AND the fee), so I CALLED them.... the first person I spoke to actually had no idea that you can pay off the loans with the a 120-day period without penalty, fee, or interest, so after being transferred to their manager/supervisor/whoever, THAT person knew and took care of everything for me over the phone. I forget the specific method of how I paid the original amount back, but I vaguely remember it being from my checking out (and either used my debit card over the phone or may have done an electronic check or something).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If outside of the 120 day window, you'll only incur a small amount of fees/interest.

If outside of the 120 day window, you'll only incur a small amount of fees/interest.

Depends on your definition of small. Interest doesn't begin after the 120, it starts from day 1, and don't forget that the fee is 10%. So even if OP is only going to take out for cost of living for the rent (say around $15k), thats $1500 needlessly lost, + whatever interest accrued over the 120 days (when I took mine out for nearly $17k, interest was almost $200 already and that was at between 60 and 90 days). Again, while its much smaller than for someone taking out full tuitions, etc, OP shouldn't even have to take out loans because HPSP, and thus you're comparing $1500+ to $0. That could literally pay for both Step 1 and Step 2 with some left over.