HPSP Computer / Laptop Lease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K-steiner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be of assistance to new HPSP students who are trying to come up with a computer for medical school.

As part of the HPSP program, a computer is to be provided as part of the compensation package. However, computers provided by the military must be leased and the maximum reimbursed for computer rental currently is $250.00 annually.

I was able to find a local computer business who would do a 4-year lease on a laptop at the Navy's annual rate, and as he is a military man, he's also willing to extend this to other interested HPSP students. He can be reached at cambridgecomputers(at)gmail(dot)com. Perhaps he can help for anyone else scrambling to find a workable computer deal.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

My laptop was covered by the US Navy. All 3000 bucks worth, :)

I think that was only because they include it in your tuition. If you paid for it, and then asked for a reimburstment it would probably not be covered.

Members don't see this ad :)
dexadental said:
My laptop was covered by the US Navy. All 3000 bucks worth, :)

Can't be, it is specifically NOT covered.

NavyFP said:
Can't be, it is specifically NOT covered.
A lot of medical/dental schools have that $3500 computer/software package as part of the required first semester purchases and fees.

I copied this out of the HPSP policy handbook (I'm Army, but I assume it's the same for everyone).

"- You are not authorized reimbursement for the purchase of computers or microscopes, but may be reimbursed $250.00 annually for rental of a microscope (2-year maximum) and computer (4-year maximum). "

So I take this to mean that unless your school considers a computer a requirement (and my school says they're "recommended"), then you're only eligible for the annual $250 rental.

To the people who got a whole computer, was it considered a requirement?

HPSP is not designed to pay for a computer unless it is a rental regardless of if it is recommended or required. The only way you get one "free" from HPSP is if your school includes it in the tuition and doesn't itemize out the laptop. You are allowed to lease (not Rent to Own) a computer for up the the stated 250/yr.

I know NSU does this with the dental program, and they have gotten laptops this way.

In other words...you probably won't be getting HPSP to pay for your computer.

The guys in Texas tell me they've put their inventory up on a site: Cambridge Computers - their service has been good, and having the computer has really been helpful...and it's been free after reimbursement.