HPSP Computer Rental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

towellman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the other HPSP students at my school (MCW) have started renting laptops through this company studentuninononline.com , they say it's $60/year for the first two years and then $0 for the last 1 or 2 years (after HPSP reimbursement). So it looks like about $120 out-of-pocket for 4 years laptop rental.

I was just wondering if anyone else has found a place that rents laptops for cheaper or anything?

The laptop on the website they offered wasn't amazing or anything, but my friends got a new laptop and it works fine for normal use.

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't it time that the HPSP regulations get re-written? Who RENTS a computer?!?!?! I mean, I never even HEARD about renting a computer until HPSP. Didn't renting computers go the way of the punch card and 5.25" floppy? Has anyone ever tried to rent a supercomputer or something just to make a point?

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Isn't it time that the HPSP regulations get re-written? Who RENTS a computer?!?!?! I mean, I never even HEARD about renting a computer until HPSP. Didn't renting computers go the way of the punch card and 5.25" floppy? Has anyone ever tried to rent a supercomputer or something just to make a point?
I own a desktop, but when I went on AT to various locations I would rent a notebook from rent a center. They usually cost under $250, so it was easily reimbursable for one month.

Members don't see this ad :)
BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Isn't it time that the HPSP regulations get re-written? .....

Can someone post a copy of the current regulations regarding computer rental reimbursement under the HPSP ?

I don't recall the exact regulation, but it was something to the effect of renting a computer at $200 or so a month. One of the majors in charge of HPSP even acknowledged that this rule was no good and needed to be changed. Now that the problem has been identified, I wonder how many more years will pass before HPSP students can finally get a computer fund.

bobbyseal said:
I own a desktop, but when I went on AT to various locations I would rent a notebook from rent a center. They usually cost under $250, so it was easily reimbursable for one month.

For the reimbursement, what kind of documentation did you have to provide? Did the ADTs have computer policies?

deuist said:
For the reimbursement, what kind of documentation did you have to provide? Did the ADTs have computer policies?
I just filled out the reimbursement form and mailed along with it the rental agreement and a receipt. Pretty easy.

Here are the Air Force's regulations for renting (I see that the reimbursement is $250 a year):

Microscope and Computer Rental

The following items are approved for rental ONLY, no purchase or lease/rent to own authorized. They are also subject to the limitations listed:
Microscope: (shipping authorized up to $25.00 each way)
Per semester - $175.00
One year - $250.00
Two years - $400.00

Computers: $250.00/year
Reimbursement for purchasing personal computers (PC) by DoD is not approved.

However, DoD offers HPSP students the option of renting a computer. The Air Force will reimburse up to $250 per year towards rental only, not rent-to-own. Students may request reimbursement by completing an AFIT Form 31 and submitting a copy of their rental contract and paid receipts towards rental of the PC.

Computers: $250.00/year
Reimbursement for purchasing personal computers (PC) by DoD is not approved.

However, DoD offers HPSP students the option of renting a computer. The Air Force will reimburse up to $250 per year towards rental only, not rent-to-own. Students may request reimbursement by completing an AFIT Form 31 and submitting a copy of their rental contract and paid receipts towards rental of the PC.[/QUOTE]

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/finance/dfs_promotions?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

This REALLY needs to be changed. Seriously. I have a desktop at home, but I was thinking, gee, a laptop would be nice for about 2-3 months while I'm studying for boards. We have wireless access in our library so a laptop would allow me to look up path slides, do questions, etc all while having my books open in front of me at my table.

So I called Rent A Center to inquire about renting one. Their price: $189/month.
wtf!!! Our HPSP reimbursement policy will barely cover 6 weeks at that price!!!
The guy kind of sounded embarasseed when I asked him if people actually rent these things at that price. :laugh: Guess I'll make do with the school's computer lab.

I found a copy of AR601 (dated 1982), and it doesn't mention anything about computer reimbursement. Does anyone have a more recent copy of AR601?

FYI, I got the AR601 from this website:
http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/

Perhaps it wasn't listed because that document was dated 1982??? :laugh:
You can find the current document in the HPSP handbook on the MODS website.

delicatefade said:

I'm haven't recieved the HPSP scholarship yet, so I don't have access to the MODS website... Could someone cut and paste the information from the MODS website here?

Members don't see this ad :)
It just says that they will reimburse $250/yr for computer rental. It says you can't get reimbursed for any type of rent-to-own scenario involving a computer.

Which doesn't really make any sense to me. If they're willing to give me $1000 over four years to rent a computer (when in actuality I will only be able to afford the rental for about 10% of that 4 years), why not just give me the $1000 to purchase a computer that will benefit me all four years???

My question to everyone that has posted on this thread is whether or not the computer is a REQUIREMENT for their respective schools. One school I'm waiting to hear back from requires ALL med students to buy a specific type of laptop(corporate sponsorship or something like that, yuck).

I feel as though that if the school requires any sort of laptop (it also requires third years to buy palm pilots...) HPSP should consider them school supplies and should be reimbursed, just like textbooks. :mad:

delicatefade said:
The current HPSP regulation statest that the computer rental must not have an option to purchase at the end of the rental term. I was looking at leasing a computer from dell.com , but no matter what type of lease I choose there will be an option to purchse at the end of the lease. Has anyone leased from Dell before and been reimbursed under the HPSP?

HumptyDumptyMil said:
My question to everyone that has posted on this thread is whether or not the computer is a REQUIREMENT for their respective schools. One school I'm waiting to hear back from requires ALL med students to buy a specific type of laptop(corporate sponsorship or something like that, yuck).

I feel as though that if the school requires any sort of laptop (it also requires third years to buy palm pilots...) HPSP should consider them school supplies and should be reimbursed, just like textbooks. :mad:

You could always see if they will bundle the cost of your computer with your tuition. Then it should be covered.

An example, the financial aid office here INSISTED that the Army would ONLY pay $950/yr for health insurance, even though health insurance is required by my school and costs far more than $950/yr. They refused to bundle it with the tuition even though I told them that the ARmy does make exceptions if the school requires insurance and it exceeds the 950 limit (comparable) health insurances in the area must also exceed the 950 limit).

So I had to go the long way, document everything, and now I just pay on my credit card each quarter and submit a CDW for my health insurance. I get reimbursed every time. And when I told my financial aid department this, they were dumbfounded. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm in the same boat. I have to pay for my health insurance every two months and then submit a reimbursement form. The good news is that I have Blue Cross PPO instead of the school's crappy insurance.

Speaking of Palm Pilots, I know a 3rd year who bought a Palm Tungsten E2 and Epocrates 2 yr subscription, put it on a CDW and GOT REIMBURSED!!!!!!!! How in the world he slipped that one through I have no idea.

HumptyDumptyMil said:

I don't know about other braches...but the Major Kimberly Frisco, who is one of the people in charge of Air Force HPSP, specificaly said "no" when asked this exact question at a conference over the summer.

kaikai128 said:
I don't know about other braches...but the Major Kimberly Frisco, who is one of the people in charge of Air Force HPSP, specificaly said "no" when asked this exact question at a conference over the summer.

I just talked to the Air Force reimbursement person and he said that computer rental was approved for all Armed Forces HPSP participants regardless of whether the school requires computers on not.

Bummer about dell.com not have a non-purchase lease, I noticed studentuniononline.com dropped their prices down to $250/year for 3-4 year rentals and they're offering better laptops than the one that I got. I'm only paying $50 more maybe I can talk them into dropping my price for next year. My friend just got a Dell XPS laptop from them for the same price and her's has a DVD burner and Pentium processor. :rolleyes:

delicatefade said:
Speaking of Palm Pilots, I know a 3rd year who bought a Palm Tungsten E2 and Epocrates 2 yr subscription, put it on a CDW and GOT REIMBURSED!!!!!!!! How in the world he slipped that one through I have no idea.

I was thinking of finding an X-Box 360 to rent, putting a Linux OS on it and calling it a "Microsoft PC 360"...think they would go for it?

I actually emailed them already and got a deal set up. Just sent in my reimbursement paperwork to the Army. I'll post back the results once I get the laptop and the reimbursement.

towellman said:
I just talked to the Air Force reimbursement person and he said that computer rental was approved for all Armed Forces HPSP participants regardless of whether the school requires computers on not.

Bummer about dell.com not have a non-purchase lease, I noticed studentuniononline.com dropped their prices down to $250/year for 3-4 year rentals and they're offering better laptops than the one that I got. I'm only paying $50 more maybe I can talk them into dropping my price for next year. My friend just got a Dell XPS laptop from them for the same price and her's has a DVD burner and Pentium processor. :rolleyes:
I was specifically replying to someone who said they were able to get a computer thru one of the leases or rent to own sort of deals....sorry I wasn't specific in my reply.

deuist said:
Towellman, thanks for the link to studentuniononline.com. It has exactly what HPSP students need: rental laptops for $250 a dollar. I called the company today to inquire about the deal.

Happy to help fellow HPSP'ers. :) It took a little while to get everything set up wiith sending in the contract and payment then waiting for my computer to get here, but I've been happy with the computer I got from them, and you can't beat the price!

kaikai128 said:
I was specifically replying to someone who said they were able to get a computer thru one of the leases or rent to own sort of deals....sorry I wasn't specific in my reply.

Oh, I see. Yeah, before I got mine, I looked around for a while and could only find rent-to-own, exorbitant Rent-A-Center rates, or companies that only rent to businesses.

towellman said:
Happy to help fellow HPSP'ers. :) It took a little while to get everything set up wiith sending in the contract and payment then waiting for my computer to get here, but I've been happy with the computer I got from them, and you can't beat the price!

I've mailed the contract. How long does SUO take to deliver?