HPSP "dilemma" - please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My HPSP recruiter wants a list of all the medical schools I've applied to. Actually, he doesn't want me the list, but the HPSP program sets the rules and they want to know all the schools that I've applied to.

Is it safe for me to provide a list of schools that I applied to? This list includes USUHS, btw.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know....but I am still a bit afraid that if my recruiter/HPSP find out that I've applied to USUHS, they might not be happy?

My recruiter has spent a lot of time getting my applications in. And USUHS ranks higher than HPSP. So it is very likely that I will end up not taking HPSP despite having gone through all the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't you already post a thread dealing with this issue of your recruiter finding out about USUHS? I think the general consensus there (it doesn't matter) is still true this week.

I'm sure you are the first HPSP applicant who also applied to USUHS. You are right to tread lightly, as I'm sure your recruiter will be heart-broken should you choose USUHS. When I chose ROTC over West Point, my POC for USMA mailed me a piece of his class ring, so I'd hate to see the OP's recruiter suffer a similar trauma.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude, we've been through this.

It's kind to be thoughtful re: other people's feelings but your concern is very misplaced here. He's a professional. I'm sure he's friendly but he's not your friend. He'll have forgotten you 17 seconds after you sign an HPSP contract, tell him you're going to USUHS, or join the local band of hippies that picket his recruiting office.

The most you OWE him is a courtesy call to let him know your decision when that day comes.

Everyone else is being polite.

OP, if this decision is causing you this much angst and paralysis, then you shouldn't be pursuing a career in either medicine or the military. Seriously.

Reactions: 3 users
OP, if this decision is causing you this much angst and paralysis, then you shouldn't be pursuing a career in either medicine or the military. Seriously.

Really? That sounds like half the people I went to medical school with. Angst and paralysis over every little detail seems to be the norm.

I dont know....but I am still a bit afraid that if my recruiter/HPSP find out that I've applied to USUHS, they might not be happy?

Did you ask for a list of every other person he's recruiting? I think you might not be happy if you discover that he's courting other potential applicants.

Yeah, I get the angst. But I would concentrate it elsewhere. Your recruiter should not be a source of anxiety. Joining the military, maybe, but not the recruiter.

Did you ask for a list of every other person he's recruiting? I think you might not be happy if you discover that he's courting other potential applicants.
Well put.

Don't sweat it OP. People actually get to the point of holding the pen and walk away from HPSP. Your recruiter won't take it personally, or shouldn't. You can't make a rational choice until you find out everywhere you've been accepted and what kind of financial aid packages they offer.