HPSP Endodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student192341

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a dental student and Army HPSP recipient. I want to be a endodontist. Would I be able to apply for army endodontics program after serving for 4 years as a general dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply during your payback period. You don’t have to wait 4 years.

Reactions: 1 users
You can apply as a D4 as well. You would need exceptional stats to get in straight out of school, but it has happened before. It will also get your name on the list/shows interest. Apply for the 1-year AEGD at the same time (you are required to apply) and accept if you are offered. Show interest in endo/work with your endo mentors and have them write solid recommendations for you and apply from the AEGD. If accepted, your HPSP and endo residency time can be paid back concurrently after your endo residency is completed. This would be the most ideal/least payback commitment pathway for you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your replies.
How hard is to get into Endo program straight out of school and while serving? Can you guys explain in details how difficult it is to get into Army Endo residency?

The endodontist I work with, who is private practice now, did Navy HPSP, passed on the AEGD so she could get out asap, then did a 2 year civilian endo program utilizing her GI Bill. She is a genius!

How hard is to get into Endo program straight out of school and while serving? Can you guys explain in details how difficult it is to get into Army Endo residency?
It's not impossible but very hard to get in straight out of school. If you are interested in Army Endo residency, I would recommend doing 1 year AEGD. Army Endo residency is not as hard as getting into a civilian program. I believe on average there are about 30-40 applicants for 7 spots versus 200+ applicants for 3-5 spots in the civilian sector. I am currently in process of ETSing after 5 years of service and starting a civilian endo residency. You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

It's not impossible but very hard to get in straight out of school. If you are interested in Army Endo residency, I would recommend doing 1 year AEGD. Army Endo residency is not as hard as getting into a civilian program. I believe on average there are about 30-40 applicants for 7 spots versus 200+ applicants for 3-5 spots in the civilian sector. I am currently in process of ETSing after 5 years of service and starting a civilian endo residency. You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.
Statistically you are correct. However, most of those 30-40 applicants have exactly the same resume/ CV as you. Some have better scores, some have worse. Some have better experience and letters, some have worse. Some have put in more “military work” than you, some less. But most all competitive in service applicants have served for a little while, made connections, dabbled in endo, done operational tours, and made a name for themselves. If you are on the bottom of the “in service” list, you are still likely on the top of the civilian residency list. I was Navy, but there is no way I would have gotten in “in service” just due to not being military motivated enough. Maybe at some point if I was super motivated to stay in, but you have to the military mindset. However, when I applied outservice, I was offered interviews at 9/11 schools I applied to and got in after my first interview. So in my opinion, as military, the general candidate is much more competitive while applying to civilian residences than active duty residencies.

Reactions: 2 users
How hard is to get into Endo program straight out of school and while serving?
While I was in the Navy, I know they took someone straight from dental school. The catch? He was a Marine Corps fighter pilot for like 8 years before dental school. Like @FutureDent020 said, I’d just put in my time, get out, and use the GI Bill for a civilian program.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 3 users
It varies by the branch but for the Navy, Endo is one of the most popular specialties(compared to others) and they receive a lot of applicants each cycle for very few spots(around 15-20+ applicants for 4 spots but every one gets an interview). Statistically speaking civilian Endo residency is harder to get into (150-200 applications) for 2-5 spots and interviews are not guaranteed. However, I do agree that military residencies have also gotten a lot more competitive recently. If you happen to apply on a year where there are a lot of Endodontists separating and fewer number of applicants then you may get lucky and get in even with not so good stats.

If your goal is just to become an Endodontist then I'd say just do your time and separate and apply to civilian residency and use the GI Bill to fund it. You don't need to worry much about boosting your military resume, extending at a particular duty station to line up your orders, etc.

Some of the current D4s have been selected for the Army Endo training this cycle. So it is very possible to get in straight out of the school. I do recommend that you give a shot at pursuing civilian residency since if you do attend Army residency training, it is an additional 3 year pay back (concurrent). So if you end up not liking the Army, you could get out just doing your 4 year ADSO versus doing a minimum 6 years (1 year snow bird + 2 year residency + 3 year payback)...

I applied to civilian programs this cycle and military experience is looked upon very favorably by directors and faculty. I'd still do an AEGD but then apply to civilian programs a few years later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to civilian programs this cycle and military experience is looked upon very favorably by directors and faculty. I'd still do an AEGD but then apply to civilian programs a few years later.
how many interviews? did you get in?

Thank you guys for the replies.

Can I apply to endo program in the army during my payback period? I have to serve at least 4 years.

how many interviews? did you get in?
Residency admission committees typically do not have to follow the strict criteria such as GPA, DATs that dschool committees do. Most of the residency committees are also much smaller compared to dschool admission committees. Residency committes just have 1-2 faculty such as director and chair . As a result, Residency director/ chair basically have the power to accept or reject candidates on the spot. Military folks have very unfair advantage when applying to civilian programs. Some directors with military backgrounds will pick the military guys with decent stats over some civilian guys with way better stats.
School also play their nepotism games. Let's say the an endo residency has 4 spots, school will typically reserve 1-2 spots for their own students... 100+ candidates will have to compete for the remaining 2 coveted spots... and then the residency director with military background will look in the pool for candidates with military background with great favouritism...

I applied for the first time last cycle. 3 interviews (UMKC, UCLA, and Rutgers(my state school). 0 acceptances. Also I had 4 years of military experience under my belt. My final rank isn't that good (53/81) but I was top 20 and 30 cumulatively first half of dental school(the years that are actually harder)... Maybe I suck at interviewing or just very unlucky? lol..
I think you just have bad luck or didn’t apply broadly. Maybe beef up your letters of Rec?

Wishing you luck in the next cycle, shipmate!

Some of the current D4s have been selected for the Army Endo training this cycle. So it is very possible to get in straight out of the school. I do recommend that you give a shot at pursuing civilian residency since if you do attend Army residency training, it is an additional 3 year pay back (concurrent). So if you end up not liking the Army, you could get out just doing your 4 year ADSO versus doing a minimum 6 years (1 year snow bird + 2 year residency + 3 year payback)...
Late reply, but do you know how competitive they were as D4s?

How does GI bill work? if a private school is say 100k a year and you get 27k off with GI, do most schools do yellow ribbon for another 10k +VA match so 47k total plus the housing stipend?

How does GI bill work? if a private school is say 100k a year and you get 27k off with GI, do most schools do yellow ribbon for another 10k +VA match so 47k total plus the housing stipend?
Some have yellow ribbon, some don't. You can look up which school has yellow ribbon. And make sure the department/school is dentistry. For example - University of southern California - Dental school

Because some schools have yellow ribbon only for certain programs.

And VA housing under post 9/11 is equal to BAH of your schools zip code but in E-5 with dependent rate.

So your total for a private University would be:

~27k/ year + MHA (BAH of E-5 your school zip code) + yellow ribbon match if they have.

If you are rated with the VA, then you'll get some disability compensation per month. Few hundred bucks to 4000+ a month depending on your disability rating and dependents

Has anyone done the math of gi endo vs staying in and extra 2 years ADSC?

Has anyone done the math of gi endo vs staying in and extra 2 years ADSC?
It's 3 years for Army... Idk about navy or air force.

For civilian program:
If you go to a moderately priced program, then it'll end up on where you practice. If you go to a middle of nowhere place, you'll make up the difference in about a year.

If you go to a program that pays you, like the VA Manhattan, then you'll come out ahead within a few months of private practice.

If you decide to go practice in a super saturated area, then you may come out somewhat close to the military program + payback.

Tldr; depends on the program tuition + where you want to work, it varies

While I was in the Navy, I know they took someone straight from dental school. The catch? He was a Marine Corps fighter pilot for like 8 years before dental school. Like @FutureDent020 said, I’d just put in my time, get out, and use the GI Bill for a civilian program.

Big Hoss
Lol I know exactly who you are talking about. Listen to @Big Time Hoosier and @FutureDent020 . We all did the HPSP and are specializing in our respective fields in the civilian sector.

It's 3 years for Army... Idk about navy or air force.

For civilian program:
If you go to a moderately priced program, then it'll end up on where you practice. If you go to a middle of nowhere place, you'll make up the difference in about a year.

If you go to a program that pays you, like the VA Manhattan, then you'll come out ahead within a few months of private practice.

If you decide to go practice in a super saturated area, then you may come out somewhat close to the military program + payback.

Tldr; depends on the program tuition + where you want to work, it varies
The ADSO for army endo residency is 3 years for a 2 year program?

The ADSO for army endo residency is 3 years for a 2 year program?

I am currently in a military endo residency.

The Army is now a 2 year payback instead of 3. I believe it is the same for Air Force, and will potentially be the same for the Navy as well.

These changes have occurred recently. As of now (things can obviously change), it looks like all services may switch to a 2 year ADSO, pending some administrative stuff currently being worked out behind the scenes.