HPSP health insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ozymandsss

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

If I go the HPSP route, does the military cover my health insurance or should I sign up with one of my school's providers? Thanks!
 
Ozymandsss said:
Hello,

If I go the HPSP route, does the military cover my health insurance or should I sign up with one of my school's providers? Thanks!

they cover your (and only you, no family members) mininum health insurance required by your school. and by "cover" i mean reimbursed-- so yes, you will have to sign up for your school's insurance, but you'll get the money back.
 
Homunculus said:
they cover your (and only you, no family members) mininum health insurance required by your school. and by "cover" i mean reimbursed-- so yes, you will have to sign up for your school's insurance, but you'll get the money back.

I've been trying to research this one, because I have family issues that really neccessitate continued health insurance. HPSP in no way covers family members?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Note, I know the Army only reimburses a certain amount for health insurance provided by your med school and only for yourself. I forget the exact amount reimbursed, but the person I know in HPSP had to cover out of their pocket a couple hundred dollars over what the Army reimbursed. Not a huge deal, but just to let you know...
 
Moose,

We are signed up with the Continued Health Care Benefit Plan through the AF. Costs us ~$690/month + copays. :wow: 😱 :wow: It hurts but my family has some healthcare issues, too. Gotta take care of the fam.
 
Moose,
Check with the individual schools that you are applying to, then check their insurance policies for pre-existing conditions. A family plan may be $1200/year, and the individual $800/year, then you would only have to pay $400 out of pocket.

Oh, did you get that letter??

Rob
 
r90t said:
Moose,
Check with the individual schools that you are applying to, then check their insurance policies for pre-existing conditions. A family plan may be $1200/year, and the individual $800/year, then you would only have to pay $400 out of pocket.

Oh, did you get that letter??

Rob

I think you're right, thanks! Thanks everyone for the advice, the health insurance issues are one of the touchiest subjects for a career change for me. Health care portability - yeah, right...

Heed, how long can you continue to get coverage?

Rob, my wife told me the letter got there. Thanks again!
 
My experience w/ the group health care thing was terrible. All the plans had a $500 cap on prescriptions, for example. Our medication costs are astronomical and there isn't a group plan on the planet, or at least that I found, that could even come close to the benefits we need.

I found out some good news the other day about the CHCBP program. The coverage lasts for 18 months. You pay $1996/3 months. But here's the good part I found out. When you go on your yearly summer ADT, you get disenrolled from the program = partial refund of your payment AND when you come off active duty, the 18 month clock starts over again. If I was a drinking man, I would have consumed a cold one when I heard that! I was starting to get a little concerned about switching to a higher priced civilian policy but now that won't be necessary. So, as long as I do an ADT each year, I'll get to keep the coverage all the way through school. Surely single guys and girls will scoff mockingly at my exuberance but for those of us in this situation, you know I just discovered a little pearl of AF wisdom! :idea:
 
Heeed! said:
My experience w/ the group health care thing was terrible. All the plans had a $500 cap on prescriptions, for example. Our medication costs are astronomical and there isn't a group plan on the planet, or at least that I found, that could even come close to the benefits we need.

I found out some good news the other day about the CHCBP program. The coverage lasts for 18 months. You pay $1996/3 months. But here's the good part I found out. When you go on your yearly summer ADT, you get disenrolled from the program = partial refund of your payment AND when you come off active duty, the 18 month clock starts over again. If I was a drinking man, I would have consumed a cold one when I heard that! I was starting to get a little concerned about switching to a higher priced civilian policy but now that won't be necessary. So, as long as I do an ADT each year, I'll get to keep the coverage all the way through school. Surely single guys and girls will scoff mockingly at my exuberance but for those of us in this situation, you know I just discovered a little pearl of AF wisdom! :idea:

Awesome news! I totally understand how great that is and I'm glad you mentioned it, because that might make HPSP possible if I need to go that way (I still hope USUHS works out - crossing fingers for app process).
 
i'm on an army hpsp. the army pays the single rate for health insurance if the school requires it as a mandatory fee. my school's comprehensive health ins. through chickering via aetna costs over $2000. the army paid the full amount even though the regs cap reimbursement at around $900 b/c ins. is listed as a mandatory fee. as a matter of fact, the school bills it directly to the army; no reimbursement to me involved.

see if you can get your school to list it as a mand. fee.
 
realysa said:
i'm on an army hpsp. the army pays the single rate for health insurance if the school requires it as a mandatory fee. my school's comprehensive health ins. through chickering via aetna costs over $2000. the army paid the full amount even though the regs cap reimbursement at around $900 b/c ins. is listed as a mandatory fee. as a matter of fact, the school bills it directly to the army; no reimbursement to me involved.

see if you can get your school to list it as a mand. fee.

That's exactly how it's set up at my school. I have that great Chickering coverage, too. Unfortunately, that plan no workie for a family. Only for ya'll single folk.
 
Moose,
Sounds like you are out on another AF field trip. Be safe and let's have a cold one when you get back.

Rob