HPSP Medical Waiver Process.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thomaswalko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. This is my first thread ever.

Does the Army HPSP hold its recruits to the same medical standard as other programs (USMA, ROTC, etc.)?

As an undergrad, I tried to enroll in NROTC, but was ruled medically ineligible because I have a very mild form of Osteogenesis Impferfecta (OI), or 'brittle bone disease'. Because of this, DoDMERB ruled that I was unable to perform duties necessary of a combat officer.

It is because of my OI that I want to be an orthopaedic surgeon, specializing in trauma/sports medicine. I had many fractures as a child, though I have not had one since I was 14. I think my experiences will help me relate to patients in a way that many physicians are unable. I can't think of any place better to learn these skills than the US Military. I would prefer the Army, though I will take any branch, if possible.

I know that my OI will not prevent me from being an orthopaedic surgeon in the civilian world. In fact, I could easily pass the regular Army Physical Fitness Test. If this is the case, why wouldn't I be allowed to do the exact same work in the Army?

Will my condition preclude me from serving as a Warrant Officer in the US Army Medical Corps?

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences obtaining an HPSP medical waiver, and if so, what the appeals process is.

Thanks in advance for your help!
-- Tom

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong, (I always reserve that right.) but I really doubt the Army will give you a waiver for OI, no matter how slight.

One of my med school classmates (non-military) had OI...I can imagine it is quite the condition to deal with. As far as your condition and military service, I believe the big thing limiting you is deployability. I've not seen someone with that condition in theater, especially since there are several more benign conditions that are non deployable.

Don't have the reg in front of me, but have a look in AR 40-501 for requirements for orthopedic/bones conditions for initial entry. You can find it if you google army publishing directorate and then search for the reg. I'm betting it's not a waiverable condition, but check the reg to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry man, but that's crazy talk trying to get into the .Mil with OI. Maybe 5 years ago some dunderhead would have given you a waiver but thank God they're tightening the standards now.

"But I can pass an APFT" you say?

Ok- I'll give you a scenario. You get a waiver. You go through med school. Get straight through training in Ortho. Sweet! Score > 270 on all your APFT's- your slick sleeved attendings and the rest of the MEDCOM flotsam consider you a "stud."

Now studly gets orders to Afghanistan. Awesome, get some. 6 months at an FST. No biggie right? No foot patrols, no convoys, no Air Assaults. Spend 6 months doing actual doctoring and picking up Air Force nurses. Maybe get rocketed once every 4 weeks but Hajji can't shoot anyways, so life is good. You fly into Bagram and hop a Chinook to the outlying FOB where the FST is co-located. Unfortunately the PI is on the controls, dusts the Bird out and you hit HARD on the pad. Everyone else walks away with a smile and a war story. You get carried into the FST and become a patient. 2 weeks later you're back in the U.S.

Your desire to serve is admirable. Unfortunately there are medical standards for a reason. I've seen far too many guys deployed who had no business being in uniform, let alone in Afghanistan. Save yourself the heartache. If you want to serve, get a job at the VA.

-61N

Be careful about picking up some of those Air Force nurses. A lot of them are bigger than you are.

True statement brother, but Goddam if some of them (the O2's and O3's) know how to hike up those little PT shorts they wear. Almost look like college girls. I agree that senior O3's and above tend to be land manatees.

The AF seems to draw from a much better "talent pool" than the other services.

Plus, after you've spent a year in Afghanistan, you're ready to stick it in a light socket.

-61N

That was the only thing those PT shorts were good for. I've found that the reflective stripe precludes them from being used to wax my car.

I have heard that in the search for adulterous light sockets, one must remember to account for girth so as to avoid the Chinese finger trap phenomenon.

Heh, reminds me of the good ol' Chair Force "Desert Queen" medal:

http://www.brownorigin.com/Altrankchart.htm

Welcome back.

Not to sound like a jerk, but the thought of having a patient with OI (even if you're type I, which I assume you are), literally gives me shivers. There are so many bad things that could happen in places where no advanced care is available. If I ever came across an active duty patient with OI, even if they had a valid waiver, I would immediately work on separating that person from the service in whatever way I could work out. And yes, that can be done, a waiver isn't always the end of the story.

This probably sounds like a lack of empathy to you OP. Its not. This would be a PITA for Tired but worth it for both you and the scarce resources you could use up.

That said, the Army seems to have different standards than the rest of us. They keep in some crazy stuff that we would board every time.

Plus, after you've spent a year in Afghanistan, you're ready to stick it in a light socket.

-61N

That is why they developed the Deployment Hotness Scale.

A female who would normally be a 3 at home might become as much as a 6 or 7 here on the FOB. With a couple of dozen women and over a thousand guys, even the 1s have a target on their back.