Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, everyone. This is my first thread ever.
Does the Army HPSP hold its recruits to the same medical standard as other programs (USMA, ROTC, etc.)?
As an undergrad, I tried to enroll in NROTC, but was ruled medically ineligible because I have a very mild form of Osteogenesis Impferfecta (OI), or 'brittle bone disease'. Because of this, DoDMERB ruled that I was unable to perform duties necessary of a combat officer.
It is because of my OI that I want to be an orthopaedic surgeon, specializing in trauma/sports medicine. I had many fractures as a child, though I have not had one since I was 14. I think my experiences will help me relate to patients in a way that many physicians are unable. I can't think of any place better to learn these skills than the US Military. I would prefer the Army, though I will take any branch, if possible.
I know that my OI will not prevent me from being an orthopaedic surgeon in the civilian world. In fact, I could easily pass the regular Army Physical Fitness Test. If this is the case, why wouldn't I be allowed to do the exact same work in the Army?
Will my condition preclude me from serving as a Warrant Officer in the US Army Medical Corps?
Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences obtaining an HPSP medical waiver, and if so, what the appeals process is.
Thanks in advance for your help!
-- Tom
Does the Army HPSP hold its recruits to the same medical standard as other programs (USMA, ROTC, etc.)?
As an undergrad, I tried to enroll in NROTC, but was ruled medically ineligible because I have a very mild form of Osteogenesis Impferfecta (OI), or 'brittle bone disease'. Because of this, DoDMERB ruled that I was unable to perform duties necessary of a combat officer.
It is because of my OI that I want to be an orthopaedic surgeon, specializing in trauma/sports medicine. I had many fractures as a child, though I have not had one since I was 14. I think my experiences will help me relate to patients in a way that many physicians are unable. I can't think of any place better to learn these skills than the US Military. I would prefer the Army, though I will take any branch, if possible.
I know that my OI will not prevent me from being an orthopaedic surgeon in the civilian world. In fact, I could easily pass the regular Army Physical Fitness Test. If this is the case, why wouldn't I be allowed to do the exact same work in the Army?
Will my condition preclude me from serving as a Warrant Officer in the US Army Medical Corps?
Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences obtaining an HPSP medical waiver, and if so, what the appeals process is.
Thanks in advance for your help!
-- Tom