hpsp meps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilyst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering what meps is like for those who are applying for the hpsp program in the AF. I heard that there is a lot of yelling and waiting. From the archives I heard you get a sticker...but those were from a few years back so I don't know if they apply anymore.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was just wondering what meps is like for those who are applying for the hpsp program in the AF. I heard that there is a lot of yelling and waiting. From the archives I heard you get a sticker...but those were from a few years back so I don't know if they apply anymore.

Thanks

There is no yelling, but there is a ton of waiting. When you first check in, you will get a sticker to identify you, and you won't be able to leave the building until you are finished with the whole process, which can be 6 hours or more. You will have a vision screening, a hearing test, have blood drawn, urinalysis, full body and motion evaluation, and a physical with a physician. It isn't stressful.

REALLY BORING! Bring a book. You won't regret it. The people there process groups of people every day, so they're robotic and lack personality. You wear a barcode sticker that says your branch and has your info on it to speed up the daunting process. Make small talk with some of the enlisted...some of them are shipping off to boot camp that day and could use the support.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did MEPS last year. There's no yelling at all. You just do some eye tests, flexibility type stuff, hearing tests, etc. You pretty much just sit around until you get called in to do different stuff. It's pretty boring and it takes forever. The place I did it had TV's but I recommend bringing a book or downloading some iPhone games before you go.

Hi,

Thanks

Ton of yelling? Who ran this MEPS, the Gestapo or the SS?

Stupid Question: What is MEPS? Is it the commissioning physical?

More or less. MEPS stands for Military Entrance Processing Station. It's basically a big boring 5-6 hour physical, most of which involves you waiting around. For the enlisted guys, it can determine what they'll do when they get deployed. For the HPSP guys (I was the only one at mine), it's just to make sure you're not too big, too small, blind, deaf, crippled, or diseased... to put it in a nutshell...

I agree with this. Way back when I did MEPs for enlistment there was a lot of yelling, intimidation, and some pretty bitter people running it (it's MEPS who can blame them). Basically treated us like a dog which was a good foreshadowing of what was to come lol. Like peanutssss said make sure you have everything and just follow their directions to the "t" - do this and it will go smoothly.

Not everyone will have the same experience. I've heard peoples experiences differ depending on what MEPS station they go to.

Reactions: 1 user
My MEPS experience wasn't so bad. I already had the mindset that the military wasn't going to be all sunshine and rainbows. I just followed directions, and didn't really get yelled at for the most part. However to be fair, I was only one of two officers there that day, and was the only medical officer. I did notice preferential treatment throughout the latter half of my day as word got around. TLDR, just follow directions and get the day done with. I particularly enjoyed eating lunch after a long day of fasting though. A sandwich and cookies never tasted so good!

Reactions: 2 users
My MEPS experience wasn't so bad. I already had the mindset that the military wasn't going to be all sunshine and rainbows. I just followed directions, and didn't really get yelled at for the most part. However to be fair, I was only one of two officers there that day, and was the only medical officer. I did notice preferential treatment throughout the latter half of my day as word got around. TLDR, just follow directions and get the day done with. I particularly enjoyed eating lunch after a long day of fasting though. A sandwich and cookies never tasted so good!

I would say try not to stress about MEPS, as long as you are honest on your application, you will be fine. Make sure you look at the height and weight requirements, it might not be an issue for most people, but I know I had gained a little bit of weight during my first year of deal school and worked out for a couple weeks prior to make sure I was like 15 pounds under; but that was just because I didn't want to have to worry about being close. I actually was yelled at because I was told that I had to take the ASVAB since I had not taken it yet. I tried to explain that I did not think that I had to take that ASVAB, but was yelled at until someone came in and explained that I was there as a medical officer...after that, I was given preferential treatment. Not sure that was necessary, I do not really understand why I got to skip the lines for the physical and blood samples- I think this was unnecessary and maybe a little unfair. Regardless, like everyone else said, follow directions to a T. Like you would anyways, treat everyone with respect and it will be a tolerable experience. It will not be the easiest morning, but I got out of there by 12. My further advice would be to disclose anything and everything- even if you forgot to document something in your additional paperwork. I forgot to report a minor procedure, but I brought documentation along to my physical and it was easily incorporated into my records.

I read somewhere that they have to watch you while you complete your urinalysis. Is that true? Sounds really awkward haha