HPSP OBLC Uniform Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmyDocDude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy ya'll,

I was looking over the packing list on the AMEDD HPSP OBLC website, and I thought of a question. Some of the things on the packing list seem counter productive, since we will be in San Antonio in the middle of summer. Like the black gloves and skull cap for PT.

Also, it says I must get two pair of boots. Those boots are not cheap, I've already bought one pair. Do I really need two?

Lastly, since we're on the subject of OBLC, if anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions, or warnings for Army OBLC this summer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot, this forum is great.

ArmyDocDude

Members don't see this ad.

I havent been there but from what I have heard from others is that it can be pretty chilly in the morning for PT. I would recommend getting the gloves and cap unless you want to possibly be pretty cold on a morning run.

Obviously you haven't been anywhere to know that especially places like Texas, it's cold in the morning. If it's on the packing list, bring it. Don't overthink stuff. Don't be that guy who packs a two liter of Mountain Dew in his ruck instead of required stuff on the packing list. Don't be that guy who doesn't have something because you "didn't think you needed it." You can get a great set of boots for less than 80 bucks. There's a reason why you need two. What if you do your FTX or are doing some other sort of field problem and you have to walk through a creek or it's pouring down rain and your boots get soaked? What if they get destroyed via some other means? Wet boots are a soldiers worst nightmare. Then you'll have to explain to your cadre why you don't have an extra set of boots like everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy ya'll,

I was looking over the packing list on the AMEDD HPSP OBLC website, and I thought of a question. Some of the things on the packing list seem counter productive, since we will be in San Antonio in the middle of summer. Like the black gloves and skull cap for PT.

Also, it says I must get two pair of boots. Those boots are not cheap, I've already bought one pair. Do I really need two?

Lastly, since we're on the subject of OBLC, if anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions, or warnings for Army OBLC this summer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot, this forum is great.

ArmyDocDude
You don't need the gloves and skull cap for PT. You are correct in your assumption that San Antonio in the summer really never gets that cold, even at 0430. It was PT shorts and t-shirt every day we had PT with no problems.

You only need one pair of boots. Actually, if you buy them new, you wouldn't really want to break in two pairs anyway, since they can be a bit uncomfortable until you wear them for a while.

Check out the FAQ and search queries, there is some good advice and pics there.

Some random thoughts - an electric razor would have been nice instead of waiting for a sink. Bring a mirror so you can shave in the tent (with an electric). Bring baby powder or gold bond. You thighs may chap from all the walking and sweating. When you are doing your push-ups in the dark after/when it has been raining be aware of fire ants. They sting and can give you impressive putstules.

You don't need the gloves and skull cap for PT. You are correct in your assumption that San Antonio in the summer really never gets that cold, even at 0430. It was PT shorts and t-shirt every day we had PT with no problems.

You only need one pair of boots. Actually, if you buy them new, you wouldn't really want to break in two pairs anyway, since they can be a bit uncomfortable until you wear them for a while.

Check out the FAQ and search queries, there is some good advice and pics there.

Some random thoughts - an electric razor would have been nice instead of waiting for a sink. Bring a mirror so you can shave in the tent (with an electric). Bring baby powder or gold bond. You thighs may chap from all the walking and sweating. When you are doing your push-ups in the dark after/when it has been raining be aware of fire ants. They sting and can give you impressive putstules.

No offense but giving a new soldier advice to deviate from the official packing list is a bad idea. IF the packing list specifically states to not bring something due to time of year, then sure it's ok. It may be hassle having a little heavier duffle bag but at least you are following instructions. Attention to detail saves lives.

I second what chemist said. The winter gear is totally unnecessary for summer OBLC, as it never gets below the 80s at night. I went with two pairs of boots, but did not take two into the field. You'll have enough crap as is to shove into your duffel that another set of boots that you won't use will just add weight. When your boots get soaked, just dry them off on the AC unit back at the FOB (yes, your tents have 2 AC units each). Those dry them out pretty quickly, as I found out this past summer when a storm blew in during BAS training in MOUT village.

OBLC really is not all that bad. I equate it with summer camp with firearms and instructors that pretend to be hardasses. I have no prior military experience, and I am not in the greatest of shape, and I did not have a problem with it.

No offense but giving a new soldier advice to deviate from the official packing list is a bad idea. IF the packing list specifically states to not bring something due to time of year, then sure it's ok. It may be hassle having a little heavier duffle bag but at least you are following instructions. Attention to detail saves lives.

That packing list is the same, regardless of time of year. Additionally, it will be wrong anyway, as they will change it the day you first arrive, much to the consternation of those who actually brought everything, and had the new items sitting at home. Also, there is a fully-stocked PX right there on post, so you can pick up those other items if you decide you need them. The official packing list (including the one for the field) contains items that you will never use, and forgets things that will be useful.

Heh, you med students are funny. Complaining about "extra weight" in your ruck/duffle? One set of boots is not going to break your back. Haven't you ever seen Black Hawk Down? "Not gonna need those dude, we'll be back in half an hour." What happened? I hate referring to that movie but it's a perfect example of what NOT to do. But hey, you guys have been through OBLC so you're experts right? What do I know, I'm just a stupid grunt.:rolleyes:

Completely agree. There's a reason things are on the freaking packing list. Adhering to the standard is a huge thing in the Army, especially as an officer. And I can guarantee that even if you don't use your PT cap, gloves, or second pair of boots now, you definitely will sometime in your career; so why not just play by the rules and get them now?

Don't be that ate up LT who perpetuates the AMEDD rear echelon stereotype.

Heh, you med students are funny. Complaining about "extra weight" in your ruck/duffle? One set of boots is not going to break your back. Haven't you ever seen Black Hawk Down? "Not gonna need those dude, we'll be back in half an hour." What happened? I hate referring to that movie but it's a perfect example of what NOT to do. But hey, you guys have been through OBLC so you're experts right? What do I know, I'm just a stupid grunt.:rolleyes:

No, hardly an expert, but I did go to OBLC, so might be able to give some more useful advice on what is actually needed. By not taking an extra set of boots (I did take my spare set out for the first two FTXs, then left them at Ft Sam for the third), you have more space to fit something that you might actually use, like an extra set of PTs, or a fresh set of underwear so you are not "that guy." So are you implying that San Antonio will suddenly experience a cold snap in the middle of July, plunging the mornings into 50-degree weather, thus necessitating the winter PT gear? And yes, while things will be needed at some point in our Army careers, if they are not needed now, then why get them now? The Army does not give us a real uniform allowance, so these purchases are all out of pocket. Since they are not needed now, people may want to put off buying them until they actually have an income.

No one is calling you a stupid grunt, so don't try to play that card, or come off as offended that someone who has never spent a day of real active duty can actually give some relevant and useful information to the OP.

There will be plenty of ate up LTs (and CPTs, and maybe a MAJ or two), many of whom actually bring everything on the list. Oddly enough, last summer, the ones that packed the lightest (and often helped us figure out what we actually needed) were the prior service/academy/ROTC guys, who made sure that everyone in their platoons actually looked and acted like officers.

Well, now you have both perspectives. Prior service, and prior OBLC. I can tell you that AMEDD is not infantry, however you want to derogatorily characterize that. And, I can tell you that most HPSP students in my class were not of an infantry mindset. (however, god bless infantry, don't know if i could do it- much respect). I agree with Psych that the prior service folks in class were the ones giving the tips and tricks, such as those mentioned, on how to do it smart. It wasn't the lazy med student who took the scholarship as a last resort and has a habit of cutting corners (and per black hawk down i guess even ranger's cut corners, not just those of us in the "rear echelon!). Even in the military, there is room for common sense. Hooah.

I agree with both of you on some of your points. Smarter not harder. Fieldcraft is something that you learn through experience and I will be the first to tell my troops that some item may not be necessary to bring. However this is the packing list and most of the stuff will stay in your wall locker, etc, so it's not anything to worry about. The problem is that since items are specifically listed on the packing list, you could always have an inspection which you would definitely fail because you didn't bring it. My point is that have everything so that if you don't need it, you can stow it away... not be sitting there looking around like you **** your pants because you left something at home.

Seeing as this is this mans first real experience in the military, I don't want him to get into the frame of mind that he can not do something because he doesn't feel like it. A packing list may seem trivial but it is important nonetheless. I have sent duffle bags of gear home from deployment because I didn't need it, but I had it there when we had our gear showdown inspections. Those who didn't have stuff got a statement of charges right there on the spot. Just something to think about.

I don't think we ever had an actual inspection even once during all of OBC. Before the first FTX, the squad leaders (students) were tasked with ensuring that everyone in their squad had all of their proper gear, but that's about it. Except for the spot "inspections" in the field to make sure you were carrying such things as your eye protection, kevlar, promask, etc (things that you better have on you, because you actually used them for nearly every exercise); which were, again, conducted by your squad leaders. It really is ridiculous how lax the cadre were with all of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think we ever had an actual inspection even once during all of OBC. Before the first FTX, the squad leaders (students) were tasked with ensuring that everyone in their squad had all of their proper gear, but that's about it. Except for the spot "inspections" in the field to make sure you were carrying such things as your eye protection, kevlar, promask, etc (things that you better have on you, because you actually used them for nearly every exercise); which were, again, conducted by your squad leaders. It really is ridiculous how lax the cadre were with all of us.

Forgive my ignorance concerning the officer training pipeline, but where exactly do they teach you the basics of military customs & courtesies, discipline and such? I started off in the Marine Corps and at Parris Island, we had an inspection SEVERAL times. In fact inspections were held every week even once we were out of training and in the fleet. So where are they teaching military standards to new officers? I realize that you won't be in charge of troops so to speak but it should be an important part of your training.

Those "on the spot" inspections are called PCI's and PCC's, which all squad leaders should be conducting as part of their TLP's. I was referring to the in detail inspections, standing in a properly ironed and squared away uniform, rack tight, shoe display covered and aligned with laces tucked in, every uniform in your wall locker two fingers apart, buttoned on hangers, etc....

this is from the welcome letter:

" a. Uniform Suppliers: It is imperative that you arrive at Fort Sam Houston with as many of your required uniform items on-hand as possible. Some uniform items, particularly Army black berets, Army physical fitness uniforms (APFUs), and some Army Combat Uniform (ACU) items may not be available in all sizes or are in extremely limited supplies. It is your responsibility to ensure that you obtain the correct uniform items so that you can be in the correct uniform throughout the course. Please look at the Class 08-804 Packing List on the OBLC webpage, as well as the list of internet uniform providers and get as many of your uniform requirements filled as possible prior to your arrival at Fort Sam Houston."

the underline is mine. You're not going to be hammered for not showing up with EVERYTHING thats on the packing list. There is time allotted on the first day (from 1700-2200) for Uniform Orientation and Procurement. So there will be time to get things that you didn't show up with. That being said, I'm still planning on showing up with everything on the list. If I had to choose I'd definitely pick a 2nd pair of boots over the cold weather APFU.

Forgive my ignorance concerning the officer training pipeline, but where exactly do they teach you the basics of military customs & courtesies, discipline and such? I started off in the Marine Corps and at Parris Island, we had an inspection SEVERAL times. In fact inspections were held every week even once we were out of training and in the fleet. So where are they teaching military standards to new officers? I realize that you won't be in charge of troops so to speak but it should be an important part of your training.

Those "on the spot" inspections are called PCI's and PCC's, which all squad leaders should be conducting as part of their TLP's. I was referring to the in detail inspections, standing in a properly ironed and squared away uniform, rack tight, shoe display covered and aligned with laces tucked in, every uniform in your wall locker two fingers apart, buttoned on hangers, etc....

The basics, I believe, are actually taught and enforced for all of the other officers in BOLC, the academy, or ROTC. I was rather disappointed that they did not stress the basics all that much at OBLC. I expected things to be a lot more rigorous than they actually were, and for them to hold us to some higher standard. Our instruction in such things as customs and courtesies was essentially a bare handful of powerpoint lectures, and whatever we happened to pick up on our own. Some of the priors/academcy/ROTC folk gave some additional instruction to small groups in the platoon when needed, but it was still largely just theory, little practice.

Unfortunately, I believe the stereotype of the ate up medical officer starts with the instructors at OBLC. If you never teach and enforce a high standard in your new officers, you are setting them up for failure. There were a few in my OBLC class that were complete and total wrecks; but they never faced any disciplinary action, kept their scholarships, and will in all liklihood continue to support the notion that everyone in Med Corps (or Vet or Dent as the case may be) is all jacked up.

mslall:
When you get there, they will likely hand you a revised schedule, which will include at least two days with time alotted for uniform item procurement. Items can also be picked up during any of the downtimes during the course. I went down there with everything on the packing list (including the cold weather PTs), and still went to the PX a few times to grab things that either weren't included on the packing list, but were required (flashlight with red lens) or I figured I could use an extra of (socks, shirts, etc).

The basics, I believe, are actually taught and enforced for all of the other officers in BOLC, the academy, or ROTC. I was rather disappointed that they did not stress the basics all that much at OBLC. I expected things to be a lot more rigorous than they actually were, and for them to hold us to some higher standard. Our instruction in such things as customs and courtesies was essentially a bare handful of powerpoint lectures, and whatever we happened to pick up on our own. Some of the priors/academcy/ROTC folk gave some additional instruction to small groups in the platoon when needed, but it was still largely just theory, little practice.

Unfortunately, I believe the stereotype of the ate up medical officer starts with the instructors at OBLC. If you never teach and enforce a high standard in your new officers, you are setting them up for failure. There were a few in my OBLC class that were complete and total wrecks; but they never faced any disciplinary action, kept their scholarships, and will in all liklihood continue to support the notion that everyone in Med Corps (or Vet or Dent as the case may be) is all jacked up.

As an NCO myself, that is very discouraging. If/when I get to OBC, I will have to ensure my fellow officers are up to speed.

Please do, and know that most will appreciate being made not-as-clueless.
I totally agree. I felt like an idiot. Unfortunately our first squad leader had no prior service but was a gunner and wanted to look good so volunteered for the job. He was probably the most flustered of us all and he had to make an idiot of himself in front of everyone. Kid had cajones i guess. it was pretty funny. So, point is, don't volunteer until you are squared away. You will not know what you are doing and it will be painfully obvious.

To the prior service dudes, plz DO espouse your knowledge on those non-prior guys. We appreciated it tremendously in our class. We were clueless and had little formal instruction, as Psych stated. You guys will laugh at how loosely HPSP OBLC is run.

So, there are lots of good points here about getting everything, and much of it makes sense.

As far as the tips, tricks, etc., does anyone have anything to offer? I am brand new, and I would like to squeak as little as possible.

ArmyDocDude

everyone at OBLC needed to buy an ASU (class A). There was an "inspection"

It's been awhile for this thread but I was hoping for a clarification. Do non-priors going straight from OBLC to med school need to purchase a Class A uniform?

And I would recommend getting it before you go to Ft. Sam. I am glad I did. It was a giant cluster ^*%#. The tailors were overwhelmed by the 300+ people that needed to get uniforms and get them tailored. There where quite a few that didnt get their uniforms done in time. Trust me you want to know how to get that uniform squared away before you go for interviews. And you never know when you might wear it again. A few of my friends went back to med school after BOLC and have went to weddings, graduations, and such in their dress uniform.

Thanks guys. Any online retailer you would recommend, or should I go on base (I live 30min from Ft. Leavenworth) and get it done.

Go to Fort Riley since you are that close. I have been there about 3 times. Their MCSS is quite a bit bigger than Fort Sam's plus the tailor is seriously like 10 steps outside of the MCSS. Make sure you go early in the day (before 3 PM). I barely caught the tailor the day I went. If you dont get all of the nameplates and ribbons and what not dont worry I would even wait to get them until u get down to fort sam. But when u get ur Class As you want to get the maroon/burgundy shoulder boards and the same color of ribbon the tailor would put around the sleeve. Everything else for the uniform you can get later.

Thanks guys. Any online retailer you would recommend, or should I go on base (I live 30min from Ft. Leavenworth) and get it done.

I bought a lot of uniform stuff from Ft. Leavenworth. I didn't get my ASU there but I got most of my patches and PT gear. Ft. Leavenworth is a good sized base so they should be able to take care of you easily there. If they have all the patches you need, pick them up there because Ft. Sam will more than likely sell out of the ones you need

I bought my uniforms online from Marlow White. Since you are near Leavenworth, you can just go to their store and get your uniform personally tailored: http://www.marlowwhite.com/our-store.html

Sometimes their clothes are carried at Clothing & Sales, sometimes it's other suppliers. I have been happy with them, though I'd be happy to hear other opinions.

I noticed on this forum that people seem to be using the term Class A and ASU interchangably. Make sure you get the Army Service Uniform that is blue, as the green Class A uniform phases out in 2014.

I noticed on this forum that people seem to be using the term Class A and ASU interchangably. Make sure you get the Army Service Uniform that is blue, as the green Class A uniform phases out in 2014.

Looking around, it seems as if both the Greens and the ASU are refered to in terms of both Class A and Class B with the ASU also being refered to as Dress Blue ASU for tuxedo-appropriate occasions. I'm going to be glad when the transition is over :scared:.

Another question for you all, do i need and special patches or such for the ASU. I'm non-prior.