HPSP Pay ?s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davydude7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be doing Air Force HPSP for a full 4 years scholarship. I am curious about how the pay works. First, is all of the "stipend" money taxable and reported on a W-2? Second, how many months out of the year am I paid the stipend, and how many weeks of active duty will I be paid for per year? What is the rough total of the pay/year? Third, when will the sign on bonus be deposited into my account?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the stipend is taxable income. You receive it 10.5 mos and AD pay for 1.5 mos. It ends up being ~24k.
The sign on bonus comes anytime in the first couple months after you start school. It is spread out on 3 checks as 9k, 9k, and 2k

Will you be at COT this summer? Ill be in the 24 May - 25 june class

Yea, I'll be at COT this summer, but I don't know what dates yet. My application is still waiting for scroll approval. I will likely be at the June-July COT.

Members don't see this ad :)
My main concern is really just verifying that the stipend earnings are reported on a W-2, and not a 1099. Anyone know for sure?