HPSP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

et2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I might get blasted with responses about this being answered already but I cant find where so here is my question:
I have applied for the Army HPSP program and my recruiter called me today to tell me that I am basically in, the board approved me and now it just goes to the senate for final approval. However, I am now in the place where I am trying to decide if I want to sign the contract or not. My recruiter fudged a few things on the application ( i.e. height weight and body fat) so that I would meet the requirements. He also told me that I would only have to serve 4 years active duty no matter what residency I went into ( as long as it didnt go over 4 years) and that as soon as I finished my residency ( right now I want to do family med) I would be finished with my active duty and be considered inactive, which means that i would be able to enter the civilian world. Is this true? Also he told me that I could pick my speciality and do what I wanted but I have heard that i could be forced into one that the military needed. To be honest, i think the military would be neat and a good experience but the main reason I even applied was to pay for school because I couldnt get loans at the time ( since then I have found a cosigner). So what advice can anyone give me about signing the contract? Is it worth it or is it a big mistake?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

My recruiter fudged a few things on the application ( i.e. height weight and body fat) so that I would meet the requirements.
This is your first red flag.
He also told me that I would only have to serve 4 years active duty no matter what residency I went into ( as long as it didnt go over 4 years)
True for all residencies 4 years or less.
and that as soon as I finished my residency ( right now I want to do family med) I would be finished with my active duty and be considered inactive, which means that i would be able to enter the civilian world.
False.
Also he told me that I could pick my speciality and do what I wanted but I have heard that i could be forced into one that the military needed.
They can't force you into something you don't want, but that doesn't mean will get what you do want.

the main reason I even applied was to pay for school because I couldnt get loans at the time ( since then I have found a cosigner). So what advice can anyone give me about signing the contract? Is it worth it or is it a big mistake?:confused:
Second red flag. Take out the loans. You'll thank yourself in a couple years.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have been misled my friend.

Do not sign on the dotted line, do not pass go, do not collect 20K.....

You need to do some serious research into HPSP and milmed. This forum is a good start.

A civilian when you finish residency?? Good God man, did you actually believe that?

Please do your homework on this one.

GB

Wow! I mean wow!

It astounds me that we can be so smart and at the same time so dumb -- I include myself in this description.

RUN AWAY!

Ed

If you've read through this forum, you are listing the #1 reason for choosing the scholarship as MONEY! Very likely the #1 reason most HPSP student's choose, though they justify it as being patriotic, wanting to serve, etc (I did).

You will become absolutely miserable if that is the main reason you are joining. If you have the money, tell your recruiter no thank you, and tell him why, refer him/her to this forum. Its unfortunate they are selling a product with potentially some negative career implications that some people would just not take if they knew the facts. Stay away from military medicine.

and that as soon as I finished my residency ( right now I want to do family med) I would be finished with my active duty and be considered inactive, which means that i would be able to enter the civilian world.
This doesn't even make any sense. Why in the world would the military train you, send you through residency, and then not use you?

Also, this is all in the service agreement. Did you read through the service agreement? If your recruiter hasn't given you one you might not know it exists. Go demand a copy.

If the recruiter is really making things like this up I'd say he/she has crossed the line from advertising to lying. That's really bad.

I asked my recruiter for a copy of the contract I would be signing, if i chose to sign up, and he said that he wasnt able to give me a copy until after I was officially selected. I have pretty much decided that I will not go into the military HPSP program.
Thanks everyone for your advice, its been very helpful

I asked my recruiter for a copy of the contract I would be signing, if i chose to sign up, and he said that he wasnt able to give me a copy until after I was officially selected. I have pretty much decided that I will not go into the military HPSP program.
Thanks everyone for your advice, its been very helpful

Another life saved by SDN!

A part of me feels bad that a potentially good doc was veered away from milmed. :(

But then I realize that they would have hated it, because they were misled and would have been doing it just for the money.

A part of me feels bad that a potentially good doc was veered away from milmed. :(

But then I realize that they would have hated it, because they were misled and would have been doing it just for the money.
What bothers me is that I think he might have ended up going milimed (or at least considering it) if his recruiter had been as honest as your average used car saleman. I really don't think that trying to pull the wool over people's eyes necessarily results in a net gain of recruits when you're dealing with medical students that have access to Google.

My recruiter got me a copy of the service agreement the first day I walked in, and gave me a pretty good overview of my residency obligations. True, he talked up the bonus and stipend a lot and didn't mention AHLTA, but still, as honest as any salesman is going to be. It didn't seem to kill his numbers.

I applied for the air force HPSP this year and was accepted but declined because I am unsure what specialty I want. Then a recruiter recently told me you are more likely to match in a competitive residency in the air force because you are applying for both military and civilian programs. If you don't get the residency you desire with the military you can automatically defer to the civilian one.

But... I don't think this is how it works. I think you have to apply for three air force residencies and if they don't offer the program you want that year, then tough you still have to apply to three programs. If they offer only one program you want same deal. So, you could end up in a program you don't want. They also told me they do not do GMO or transitional years except with people that don't match to a civilian residency.

Someone please tell me if I am right or did I just turn down a great opportunity on some misinformation.

I applied for the air force HPSP this year and was accepted but declined because I am unsure what specialty I want. Then a recruiter recently told me you are more likely to match in a competitive residency in the air force because you are applying for both military and civilian programs. If you don't get the residency you desire with the military you can automatically defer to the civilian one.

But... I don't think this is how it works. I think you have to apply for three air force residencies and if they don't offer the program you want that year, then tough you still have to apply to three programs. If they offer only one program you want same deal. So, you could end up in a program you don't want. They also told me they do not do GMO or transitional years except with people that don't match to a civilian residency.

Someone please tell me if I am right or did I just turn down a great opportunity on some misinformation.

Hahaha, I've got a couple dozen buddies who are joining me on the GMO/FS track who would like to have words with your recruiter.

You had it right the first time. The recruiter is either lying or doesn't understand what he's talking about - not sure which is worse. Either way though, stay away from the HPSP and you'll be much happier in a few years. Good luck with everything.

Who was it defending recruiters the other day? It only takes one of like this guy's to give the rest a bad name.

Yep, 99% of the recruiters ruin the reputation of the other 1%.

Jokes aside, my recruiter was completely upfront about everything. She got me a copy of my contract and got me docs in the army to talk to. I have no complaints about the way I was treated. Interestingly, she is now my branch manager!

Ed