HPSP retirement credit for SELRES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Polkarma

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted about being interested in joining the Reserves or Guard - prior service with 8 years and am in a critical wartime specialty (family medicine) that would qualify for the policy giving HPSP credit for retirement for each year in the SELRES.

I’ve read the Sec of Defense memo about the policy and it is clear that each year you do in the SELRES, you get a “good year” toward retirement from HPSP up to 4 (2 for 1) if you are in one the listed specialties. You don’t have to get to 20 and then get credit for 24, you can get to 16 or 17 good total years to qualify for the reserve retirement at age 60. While a reserve retirement is smaller, it still makes it easier to get to 20 good years.

My concern is I am interested in primarily the Army Guard or Army Reserves but it sound like they have personnel pay issues with stuff like this. An Army retiree just posted this week they haven’t gotten USUHS credit even after retiring with over 20 years and it’s been over a year being unable to reach anyone. Another Army physician posted that a memo was even sent by the Army saying you have to get to 20 before the HPSP kicks in, which is different that what is on the current Navy Personnel Command website for reserve affiliation benefits.

The Navy personnel website and the Navy MC winter newsletter all explained the policy clearly so it being implemented for Navy reservists. A Navy reservist physician posted recently he had gotten the HPSP credit already. I was able to confirm it is AF reserve policy also.

My question is there any Army reserve physician on here who has had their HPSP years count for reserve retirement before their 20 years?

Maybe it is only for the AF and Navy although the Sec of Defense memo was sent to the Army too.

Members don't see this ad.