HPSP Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddearmas11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone joined the armed forces and using, or will use, the HPSP to pay for school? Do you know if there are any slots still available for the upcoming fall?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

yes there should be slots for the next year. however the armed forces fiscal year starts in october...so make sure you have your applications in by september

for more info there is an organization called Armed Forces Optometric Society (AFOS) that has student liaisons that can connect you with the right people with the correct most up-to-date information on the HPSP.

[URL="http://www.afos2020.org/Default.aspx?pageId=1305083/]Here is a link to the local liaisons. http://www.afos2020.org/
[/URL]

find your school and contact your local liaison

Members don't see this ad :)
yes there should be slots for the next year. however the armed forces fiscal year starts in october...so make sure you have your applications in by september

for more info there is an organization called Armed Forces Optometric Society (AFOS) that has student liaisons that can connect you with the right people with the correct most up-to-date information on the HPSP.

[URL="http://www.afos2020.org/Default.aspx?pageId=1305083/]Here is a link to the local liaisons. http://www.afos2020.org/
[/URL]

find your school and contact your local liaison

Did you use the HPSP scholarship? I have also been looking into doing this...

Could someone tell me what kind of officer training you receive as an optometrist? Aren't there two different versions for different kinds of health care professionals? And are there multiple training sessions per year, or are they usually only during the summer?

Could someone tell me what kind of officer training you receive as an optometrist? Aren't there two different versions for different kinds of health care professionals? And are there multiple training sessions per year, or are they usually only during the summer?

It depends on the branch.

For the Navy, you would go to Officer Development School (ODS), which is 5 weeks long. With the way school schedules are, you would usually go during the summer (summer after 1st year if you are on a 4 year scholarship or after graduating if you are on a shorter scholarship, since there's not enough time other than your first summer). You can't go before school starts 1st year because they can't get you on the paperwork and payroll in time (you can't be put on until a month before school starts, and by then it's less than 5 weeks before classes).

They do have it all year long though. The dates posted right now are: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/OfficerDevelopmentSchool(ODS).aspx

Do you find out where you'll be stationed prior to graduating or not until you graduate from optometry school? Cjensen, can you share any information regarding the process for applying and once you graduate? I am looking at potentially pursuing Air Force as well.

Is it really competitive to receive this scholarship? What criteria do they base their decision off of? Also, is it too late to get funding for 2013-2014 school year?

Do you find out where you'll be stationed prior to graduating or not until you graduate from optometry school? Cjensen, can you share any information regarding the process for applying and once you graduate? I am looking at potentially pursuing Air Force as well.

Is it really competitive to receive this scholarship? What criteria do they base their decision off of? Also, is it too late to get funding for 2013-2014 school year?

It's too late for 2013-2014. Most of those decisions are made by January before the fall that you start. My year they didn't decide until March, because there was some employee turnover in the office that makes the decision. But by now, all the branches have given out their scholarships. If you want to apply, start the process by at least August, but like the other person mentioned, the sooner the better. I started the process in August before the fall that I wanted funds and my package wasn't complete until December. It's a long process.

It is competitive, but there also aren't huge numbers of people applying. I don't know about Air Force, but I know that when I applied for the Navy scholarship, there were 12 total applications that passed all the screenings (background checks, interviews, medical check, etc.) and made it to the final decision process. They gave out only 3 four year scholarships. I believe they also gave out 4 three year scholarships, but that was a different applicant pool than those 12 I think, because the scholarships tend to apply for that next fall and if you get a 3 year then it's for your last three years of school and not your first. Air Force only offers 2 and 3 year scholarships. Army offers 3 year scholarships. I had two friends apply to Army this year and one got it and the other didn't. The one who didn't seemed like a great applicant, so I don't know why he didn't receive it.

The criteria are lots of things - essays you write about why that branch and why optometry, strength of your transcripts, interviews you do with officers, your medical screening, etc. There are a lot of steps to the application process and once it's complete, they turn the entire file into a committee that makes the decisions.

It's too late for 2013-2014. Most of those decisions are made by January before the fall that you start. My year they didn't decide until March, because there was some employee turnover in the office that makes the decision. But by now, all the branches have given out their scholarships. If you want to apply, start the process by at least August, but like the other person mentioned, the sooner the better. I started the process in August before the fall that I wanted funds and my package wasn't complete until December. It's a long process.

It is competitive, but there also aren't huge numbers of people applying. I don't know about Air Force, but I know that when I applied for the Navy scholarship, there were 12 total applications that passed all the screenings (background checks, interviews, medical check, etc.) and made it to the final decision process. They gave out only 3 four year scholarships. I believe they also gave out 4 three year scholarships, but that was a different applicant pool than those 12 I think, because the scholarships tend to apply for that next fall and if you get a 3 year then it's for your last three years of school and not your first. Air Force only offers 2 and 3 year scholarships. Army offers 3 year scholarships. I had two friends apply to Army this year and one got it and the other didn't. The one who didn't seemed like a great applicant, so I don't know why he didn't receive it.

The criteria are lots of things - essays you write about why that branch and why optometry, strength of your transcripts, interviews you do with officers, your medical screening, etc. There are a lot of steps to the application process and once it's complete, they turn the entire file into a committee that makes the decisions.

Thanks! That was really informative and helpful. Do you know anything about being stationed after graduating? So, if I'm beginning optometry school this fall, I could apply in August for a three year scholarship, correct?

I found out where I was going to be stationed about 6 weeks before graduation.
If you need to take the Officer Basic Course after grad, you'd usually find out 1/2 way through the program (they always reserve the right to change your orders at the last minute).

Best thing to do is find out what O-3's are scheduled to transfer out of their current posting. Almost always, O-3's replace O-3's (occassionally an O-4). Once they have their orders, they know what spots need to be filled with new grads. In my time, we were asked to give our top 3-4 choices.
They don't promise anything, but do make an effort to consider it, so don't choose 3 places that don't have a slot opening up.

If you're single, there's a greater chance that you will get put somewhere a little more remote, or in a spot that is more likely to be deployed overseas. Not always, but they do consider it.

I found out where I was going to be stationed about 6 weeks before graduation.
If you need to take the Officer Basic Course after grad, you'd usually find out 1/2 way through the program (they always reserve the right to change your orders at the last minute).

Best thing to do is find out what O-3's are scheduled to transfer out of their current posting. Almost always, O-3's replace O-3's (occassionally an O-4). Once they have their orders, they know what spots need to be filled with new grads. In my time, we were asked to give our top 3-4 choices.
They don't promise anything, but do make an effort to consider it, so don't choose 3 places that don't have a slot opening up.

If you're single, there's a greater chance that you will get put somewhere a little more remote, or in a spot that is more likely to be deployed overseas. Not always, but they do consider it.

I am assuming you're considered an O-3 (captain) once you graduate? Sorry, I'm still unfamiliar with all of the ranking terminology. A recruiter had emailed me some answers to a couple of questions.. he mentioned that the pay as an O1 tends to be about $4,600/month. If you're an O-3 while working, would you make more than that? I wasn't sure if your pay is extremely low while you're serving for the military since they're taking care of the tuition expenses.

Also, he mentioned that you get to put in your preference from an option of 8 bases. Do you know what those 8 bases would be?

Is it often that optometrists get deployed overseas? Once you are accepted, do you have to go through boot camp or do you just pass a reserves test?

I am assuming you're considered an O-3 (captain) once you graduate? Sorry, I'm still unfamiliar with all of the ranking terminology. A recruiter had emailed me some answers to a couple of questions.. he mentioned that the pay as an O1 tends to be about $4,600/month. If you're an O-3 while working, would you make more than that? I wasn't sure if your pay is extremely low while you're serving for the military since they're taking care of the tuition expenses?
Pay scale is based on rank AND years of service (A captain with 1 year in gets less than a captain with 8 years in).
You also receive more if you have dependents, a housing allowance, etc..
Take home pay is not great, but lots of benefits.

Also, he mentioned that you get to put in your preference from an option of 8 bases. Do you know what those 8 bases would be?
Sounds like he's doing some of the work for you. Those 8 probably are known to have openings. Other bases probably don't have an OD scheduled to leave.
Is it often that optometrists get deployed overseas?
Always possible. More liekly if assigned to a division slot, less likely is assigned to a military hospital An Army OD was killed in action a few years back.
Once you are accepted, do you have to go through boot camp or do you just pass a reserves test
Boot camp tailored specifically to medical officers.

I'll close in restating that if you are looking at HPSP solely as a means to pay for school, you are going to be miserable.

I would say that the others who have responded have done a great job! I actually don't know how the process works for being stationed. I have yet to be assigned my first base. I am aware that sometime during my fourth year(starts in a month) I will be given a top 3-5 sites to fill out. I expect to become a captain a month or two-ish before I graduate, but it could be closer to graduation. at that time I should also know where my first assignment will be.

from what i've read, for 3 and 4 yr scholarships undergrad gpa is important, although for the 3 yr they also look at your first semester at opt school (as far as the timing for the army app goes). for 2 yr scholarships they focus on optschool