HPSP Sign-on Bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fabio001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I just spoke to a health recruiter over the phone last week, and he told me that the air force hpsp offered a $20,000 sign-on bonus last year, and that if the Navy and Army are offering them, then Air Force recipients can plan on getting the sign-on bonus too. This information came contrary to what I have been reading and hearing lately, so I must say that I'm a little confused. I recognize that nobody should accept the scholarship because of a measly 20 grand, but I would just like to make sure I have the facts. If anyone could varify, or blast away this new information, that would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, so I just spoke to a health recruiter over the phone last week, and he told me that the air force hpsp offered a $20,000 sign-on bonus last year, and that if the Navy and Army are offering them, then Air Force recipients can plan on getting the sign-on bonus too. This information came contrary to what I have been reading and hearing lately, so I must say that I'm a little confused. I recognize that nobody should accept the scholarship because of a measly 20 grand, but I would just like to make sure I have the facts. If anyone could varify, or blast away this new information, that would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!!

I'm on AF HPSP, and I took the four-year scholarship and the signing bonus. It comes in like three parts, and I think in total after taxes is 14 or 15K. I'm not exactly sure what other information you want. I have no idea if the Army or Navy offer it.

I'm on AF HPSP, and I took the four-year scholarship and the signing bonus. It comes in like three parts, and I think in total after taxes is 14 or 15K. I'm not exactly sure what other information you want. I have no idea if the Army or Navy offer it.

How long ago was it that you accepted the scholarship if you don't mind me asking? Also, how/when do the three parts come? The reason why I initially posted is because it seems like i've read other threads complaining that recruits were told to expect the bonus, but it never came. Thanks for the clarification.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long ago was it that you accepted the scholarship if you don't mind me asking? Also, how/when do the three parts come? The reason why I initially posted is because it seems like i've read other threads complaining that recruits were told to expect the bonus, but it never came. Thanks for the clarification.

I am a second-year student currently, and I took the scholarship starting in fall of 2009. I got it over several months period last fall. It definitely came. Sorry I can't be more precise on how spaced out - my husband does the money for us.

If someone never got it - I don't mean to sound harsh (if this is a friend of yours), but if you took the scholarship and signing bonus - it is in your contract. You have a right to that money, and there are people you call to get that fixed. I have had to have a pay issue fixed before. Don't get me wrong - it is irritating and can take awhile, but they will fix it. People who don't get the bonus have people to call who can fix this for them, and if they never did anything about it and never got it - it is their own fault.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my HPSP bonus money. It came in 3 payments over a time period of about 10 days. It is taxed at a flat rate, not based on your tax withholding. The payments were around 1400, 6400, and 6400 after taxes. The first payment came within about 2.5 weeks of starting school. I am AFHPSP, but Navy and Army offer the same bonus and commitment. I don't know how/when their bonus is dispersed.

Reactions: 1 user