HPSP Switching Branches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Handinhand

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey All,

I'm a civilian medical student that's currently dating an Air Force HPSP student. We are both M3s right now, and are starting to think about what comes next after medical school. My SO and I are both trying to go into very competitive specialties (ortho and ENT), and although we are hoping that we'll get a civilian deferment and can try and couples match, we are also thinking about what to do should that not be possible.

My SO is currently air force HPSP, and the only option for residency is San Antonio, which is unfortunately a ways away from any Ortho residencies. Would it be possible for her to switch into Army HPSP where there are many more options for residency, with some of them having a much better option for myself to match close to.

Thanks for your help.
 
Last edited:
Maybe I'm a paranoid person but considering there probably aren't many orthopaedic applicants dating female Air Force ENT applicants and the relatively high chance that matching in San Antonio is probably your best chance of living in the same city, maybe publicly ****ting on that program isn't a smart move?
 
I didn't realize there was a civilian residency for Ortho in San Antonio... The closest one I found was in Houston.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only way I can see this working is if your SO finds someone in Army HPSP who wants to change to Air Force, and even then you've got to get all parties to agree. Either learn to love south Texas or get used to living apart.