HPSP wearing uniforms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I cannot remember if this has been asked before, but I remember reading awhile back that HPSP students are not allowed to wear the uniform unless on an ADT.

I don't intend to go parading around military bases in uniform, but my wife and I would like some updated photos of us -- we have not had any for almost 4 years. She would like me to wear the class A or dress blues, as would I, but if by some cruel twist of fate I run into another officer I do not want to be doing something horribly wrong.

Is there some rule against wearing it? It would only be to the photography student and back, possibly stopping for dinner. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From my Army Officer's Guide, 48th edition:

"Officers of the National Guard and of the Army reserve, while on inactive status, are authorized to wear the uniform during periods of military instruction. They may also wear it on occasions of ceremony, as stated above. Members of the Army National Guard may also wear the uniform in the performance of state service when so authorized by their respective state adjutant general. Consult the commanding officer for authority to wear the uniform on other occasions."

Regarding occasions of ceremony:

"Authority to wear the uniform on occasions of ceremony needs definition. It means an occasion essentially military in character at which the uniform is more appropriate than civilian clothing (e.g., military balls, military parades, military weddings, military funerals, memorial services, and meetings or functions of associations formed for military purposes, the membership of which is composed largely or entirely of honorably discharged veterans of the armed forces or of reserve personnel). This authorization includes authority to wear the uniform while traveling to and from the ceremony, provided such travel can be completed on the day of the ceremony."

Seems like if you're really worried about it, you could fall back on the photography session as an "occasion of ceremony". Bottom line is, just don't stop off at any political rallies or protests on your way home and I'm sure you'll be fine.